Another Drum Project

Jazzycat1

After viewing Middlename Kyle's beautiful project I went to work on my old Ludwig drum.

I used a slightly different technique on my Ludwig challenger.

After taking it apart I also removed the wrap and glue - sanded with

ever increasing grits of 3m sandpaper. - Then applied Minwax pre-stain

conditioner followed by two coats of Minwax Midnight Blue water-based stain.

After a day of drying I applied my first coat of Minwax satin polyurethane

varnish. After six hours I sanded again with fine sand paper - then all

over again about 3 times - then one final thin coat. After three days drying

I buffed it and put it all together again. New heads - Ludwig Silver dot (high torque)

on the top and a Ludwig snare side clear head on the bottom. The thing sounds great!!!

As purchased on Ebay

Before1.jpg

Before2.jpg

Finished product

Challenger10.jpg

Challenger9.jpg

Challenger1.jpg

WOW! Such a nice drum to begin with but now that thing looks as good as it sounds. Nice work.

Thanks!

I thought about doing this for a while but was afraid I'd screw it up. After I read the other post here it inspired me to go ahead with it. I figured if I messed up too bad I could always recover it with new wrap. I was relieved.

take care!

WOW!!! That is just AWESOME... ^OO^

With the Xmute on there it looks totally hot! A blue extravaganza of jamability! (neighbors prolly like that, too... :P )

Man, that's friggin' nice. Now I'M inspired... I got an old 14" TDR (black laquer inside shell) just waiting for some TLC ...

Let's see what I can do...

WOW!!! That is just AWESOME... ^OO^

With the Xmute on there it looks totally hot! A blue extravaganza of jamability! (neighbors prolly like that, too... :P )

Man, that's friggin' nice. Now I'M inspired... I got an old 14" TDR (black laquer inside shell) just waiting for some TLC ...

Let's see what I can do...

Yes, I'm sure they prefer it when I use the Xmute! So does my Siberian Husky!

Jazzycat,

I noticed that you are in Houston, so am I. I march with Gulf Coast Sound in Houston. You should come and check us out if you have time. You might catch us on television in the HEB Thanksgiving Parade this Thursday.

By the way, nice job! I've got an old Yamaha that I might go ahead a refinish now that I know I have you in town to coach me.

Check out the corps website at http://gulfcoastsound.org. Even if you can't march with us, you might want to march in the Galveston Mardi Gras Parade as part of the All Star Drums Corps we host every year.

Jazzycat,

I noticed that you are in Houston, so am I. I march with Gulf Coast Sound in Houston. You should come and check us out if you have time. You might catch us on television in the HEB Thanksgiving Parade this Thursday.

By the way, nice job! I've got an old Yamaha that I might go ahead a refinish now that I know I have you in town to coach me.

Check out the corps website at http://gulfcoastsound.org. Even if you can't march with us, you might want to march in the Galveston Mardi Gras Parade as part of the All Star Drums Corps we host every year.

Well, I just picked up the sticks after a 20 yr break so I'm not sure my chops are up to that just yet but It's something I'd be interested in once I'm up to speed.