mellophone mouthpieces

Penn State

BTW, i found another problem today.

when i play a F (on the fifth line of the staff), the sound is very different to the others.

th brass is a bit like shaking ... similar to the pedal note ...

just like my air is going thu a long tunnel ...

i couldn't found it happen on any other note (from low G to high C ...)

same situation on 204ms?

No. The sympathetic vibrations of the horn on the Yamaha 201, 202, and 203 made the horn almost buffet on the top-line Fs. The slot for that note on the above horns is very narrow. That problem has been fixed on the 204.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Penn State,

Thanks for the plug for the Middle Horn Leader.

You're right, the rim shape/contour between the Yamaha 14F4 and the Mello 6 is similar. There are two main differences between the mouthpieces: first, the Mello 6 has that strangely-sized old-style shank, while the 14F4 has a trumpet shank designed to fit the newer Yamaha mellos. The main difference, however, is the inner diameter of the rim. The 14F4 (if I remember correctly) has an inner rim diameter of 16.7 mm, which is appreciably larger than the Mello 6, which (again, if I remember correctly) around 16.2 mm. The UMI/Benge et. al. 1216 (which is the traditional Mello 6 without the extra weight of the 1736) is just a smaller mouthpiece than the 14F4.

Leaving high notes to the Sops just makes them more egomaniacal - I like showing them up from time to time!

A page from the Paul Rowe book of Mellophone.

:lol:

Penn State,

Thanks for the plug for the Middle Horn Leader.

You're right, the rim shape/contour between the Yamaha 14F4 and the Mello 6 is similar. There are two main differences between the mouthpieces: first, the Mello 6 has that strangely-sized old-style shank, while the 14F4 has a trumpet shank designed to fit the newer Yamaha mellos. The main difference, however, is the inner diameter of the rim. The 14F4 (if I remember correctly) has an inner rim diameter of 16.7 mm, which is appreciably larger than the Mello 6, which (again, if I remember correctly) around 16.2 mm. The UMI/Benge et. al. 1216 (which is the traditional Mello 6 without the extra weight of the 1736) is just a smaller mouthpiece than the 14F4.

Thanks for the info on that. I didn't pick up on the inner rim diameter when I play tested both pieces.I did prefer the Conn mello 6. What I've been looking for in a new piece is a slighly larger rim, so my lips have a little more to work with. The other pieces I use: tuba: Bach 24AW and baritone: Bach 5G

Thanks for the info on that. I didn't pick up on the inner rim diameter when I play tested both pieces.I did prefer the Conn mello 6. What I've been looking for in a new piece is a slighly larger rim, so my lips have a little more to work with. The other pieces I use: tuba: Bach 24AW and baritone: Bach 5G

I know it's been beaten to death in this thread, but you might try the Curry TF line. The rim is pretty wide, although the inner part is slightly raised. If you want a smaller inner rim diameter, you might try the 5TF (16.5 mm) or the 7TF (can't remember offhand, but probably in the 16.2/3 mm area). Go to mouthpieceexpress.com and check out the specs. I think they are one of the best options for modern mellophonists.

I know it's been beaten to death in this thread, but you might try the Curry TF line. The rim is pretty wide, although the inner part is slightly raised. If you want a smaller inner rim diameter, you might try the 5TF (16.5 mm) or the 7TF (can't remember offhand, but probably in the 16.2/3 mm area). Go to mouthpieceexpress.com and check out the specs. I think they are one of the best options for modern mellophonists.

yup yup

No. The sympathetic vibrations of the horn on the Yamaha 201, 202, and 203 made the horn almost buffet on the top-line Fs. The slot for that note on the above horns is very narrow. That problem has been fixed on the 204.

Jeff, not sure if it was your intension, but you didn't mention the valve bottom weights in helping with the top line F. Didn't you dampen a fair deal of that top line F stuff with the Curry CCAPS on your 203? Might help with the 201/202 as well.

Jeff, not sure if it was your intension, but you didn't mention the valve bottom weights in helping with the top line F. Didn't you dampen a fair deal of that top line F stuff with the Curry CCAPS on your 203? Might help with the 201/202 as well.

Mike, you're right. Heavy bottom valve caps did help. You have to experiment with the location of the weight (e.g., for some people, adding the shims in the third valve may help, since in the Yamahas the air stream enters the valve cluster via the third valve). I know it actually worked pretty well on the 203, so it's certainly worth a try on the 201 and 202.

I have to say that high register mellophone can be very effective. Agreed, it is hard to control and tune, but it is another effect that can be used. Blue Devils wrote up to a D, as did Spirit of Atlanta and Madison. When I taught SCV, went up to C's and such on a regular basis. Depends on who is playing and what the rest of the line is playing. Probably not as effective in a classical show, but can be a cool sound, with a little extra care.

Must say that people have tended to enjoy it when I kick out a high F or G. But those are solos.

Beginning lines should never go that high. In the music we write for Renegades, High C is sometimes used, but in general, we stay lower.

Leaving high notes to the Sops just makes them more egomaniacal - I like showing them up from time to time!

egomaniacal.... I like that.

When explaining the "delicateness" of playing up with the G Mellophone bugle, I explain to folks that it is a weapon in the wrong hands. People can get hurt, lives can be changed (many times for the bad). Birds, dogs, and sometimes cattle can be harmed. If you notice the animals starting to act in an uneasy fashion, sort of like they do on that Animal Planet show about the sensitivity of animals to changes in the Earth's tectonic plates, it is probably best to back away from the upper register. Sorry.... I'm on medication for some #### winter cold. I am now stepping away from my iBook...

I'm telling you - try the Kanstul - much preferable to the Mello 6.