Indoor Percussion Performance & Showmanship

pajc99

Any suggestions for exercises or activities for an indoor percussion group to help raise their "showmanship" level? In other words, we've got a fantastic group of high school musicians who really play their instruments well, but I feel like we're a little lacking in the comfort level of "selling" the show with our face and body language. I think they're either shy or just need to come out of their shell...any thoughts?

thanks!

I really dislike this trend, but it seems to be the way drumming is going. I'm talking about over emoting, grand jestures (such as lifting the sticks off the head and up in the air after a mp tap) and all off the silly acting. Maybe I am just old school.

If you are talking about selling and showmanship, I would recomend reading up on acting excercises. A lot of times kids are embarassed to act out because they fear what people will think. Do some "act like a dinosaur" types of things, and be overly flambouyant with the movements. Over doing it is key, when they put the drums on have them tone it down a bit and it will look natural.

Good luck with all of this. I'm starting an indoor drumline and I hope I don't caught up in the madness!

*oooh, a forum I can speek my mind on! Forgive the grammer and spelling errors, I'm not quite awake right now.* :sleeping:

I'm not terribly sure on a battery level, but I'm more than familiar, if not over-familiar with this aspect in the Pit area. I'm rather curious as to other's views on the same topic!

Now, theres too many schools of thoguht when it comes to "performance" and "showmanship." Alot depends on the style of music your group is playing, and the kind of energy/emotion you want them to portray. Its all up to interpretation.

Here is my point of view/what I tend to do (all regarding pit but I'm sure some of it can be applied to battery too!):

I like to think of this first one as a "skeleton" for a performer to build off of. Its what many refer to as "body dynamics" basically, when playing piano we bring our bodys down, head/face still up but bending with the knees to make us shorter(not your back! this can cause damage!)

For forte stand tall. I, being a short one, often go on tip toes, its more fun that way.

Scale exercizes can easily be manipulated to practice such "performance stylings."Add dynamics to go with the shape of the phrase and have them move acordingly.(ie scale goes up, cressendo, scale goes down, decressendo...etc) Its often said that the judges in the top box (obviously with corps more so than indoor) may not hear the pit but if they can *see* them moving it gives the vissual help that they are playing dynamics. (I say, its must be a jugdge who can't observe mallet hight! :beer: )

any who, a pit that does only that, looks choregraphed, and still lacks the emotion nessesary, and well...can easily come off as lame and cheesy rather then effective. No one wants that! And this is what turns MANY off from exploring these aspects of performance in an ensemble setting.

To make it effective, do what the guy above said, and do some acting warmups. Don't waste time on this too much, but just enough to make the students realize that thier FACES can be a HUGE factor.

Most importantly, above all, they need to be comfertable with what they are doing. There's no way to force someone to move when they play or to "perform" if they really feel like they are exposing themselves. Take baby steps, and see if the kids can just try moving thier bodies in just one way different from the norm. If they don't like it, go back, try something new. Luckily they'll realize they're more relaxed with the more they freely move when they play.

Do the body dynamics, but each individual should have thier own spin on it, to perform the music the way they feel it should be done.

Perferably, I like to dance when the music is fun and jazzy, or random spaztic leg kicks that I don't realize I'm doing (may be contributed by a big impact/accent or a large/physical interval jump.) I also inadvertantly bob my head way too much...people think my head may fall off. I don't realize its happening, I'm just going with the music.

Every performer is different, and different music can get different reactions out of them. I don't think its something that can be forced, however its SOOOOOO much more fun to move while playing than to stand there still like a statue.

however...in the battery, to give that dark stare and that serious intimiating look...(agian depending on style of music) well, thats just ...er....kick...butt. Who doesn't love a drumline thats like that, right?! :D

(now many corps go with the more rigged serious route, where as WGI lines are going deep into the flowy artsy show-your-feelings route. I say a happy mix is pretty cool. again all oppinions and interpretation)

Edited by phoenix_aurora

• 2 weeks later...

I love showmanship in indoor. That said, I hate the cheesiness that can go with it, including "body dynamics".

Stuff that they can do at home:

If your show isn't original music, find the recordings from the original artist. Tell the kids to listen to them at least once a day and see if they can figure out what kind of vibe they're putting out. It starts with understanding the music's intent. It'd be completely unnatural to look happy during something aggressive and angry, ya know?

Tell them to bob their head. To everything. Until it becomes a habit. Just that simple movement will make them look more into the music from the audience perspective.

At practice:

Every line has at least one kid who "gets it", in the showmanship department. Have them perform for the line so they can see that it's okay to look "stupid". And hey, if EVERYONE's doing it, then they can't collectively look stupid, right? The audience will notice the one who doesn't look like everyone else.

Something that I always told my kids was that if you think that you're doing too much, you're probably doing just enough. I also challenge them to make me laugh or forget that I'm there to point out ticks during rehearsals because I just got so caught up in their performance quality. When they do, I tell them to do exactly what they just did every time (if not more), and they're typically consistent after that.

Luckily for me, it was easy to learn because our indoor concept was an insane asylum. We just had to play everything with a nervous twitch and randomly scream at inappropriate times. Sure, we ended up being totally creepy when it came to showtime with everyone taking on a different disorder, but by just having a couple guidelines like that to start off with, it was easier for everyone to understand. If your show is something like that where you can go over the top, that would definitely help.

Sorry that I'm so long-winded!

hehe, great to see I'm not the only one who can get "long winded" on this topic.

::high five::

You bring up alot of really great points!

Im going to have to disagree with some of the fine points made so far in this thread. In my mind (if were using WGI as a barometer), Im GLAD no.. EXSTATIC that things like dance, role play, and continuous body movement have become such a big part of the indoor percussion activity. WGI refers to itself as the "Sport of the Arts". "Arts" being Plural meaning MANY arts. While it centers on percussion instruments for the soundtrack, there is so much you can do out there without limiting yourself. Here is an activity where you can use electronics very freely and creatively (Check out Mission Viejo HS! Amazing!!). Groups like Riverside Community College who use so many different types of movement and dance to interpret their concept. Then you can take a group like Father Ryan HS. This is a scholastic World group who in 05 did a Basketball show, and in 06 did a Football Show. Even I was rollin my eyes when i first heard about the show... Then when i saw them i was on my feet cheering like a giddy 16 year old kid whos just watched his first drumline. The level of performances out there are growing each year and i for one love it! In fact, i rather DONT like it when an indoor group just puts on a random uniform, and play and march with a straight face. EVERYONE can do that! Nothing special there. I cant tell you how many times ive sat through an indoor contest and seen 10 of the exact same drumline come and go. A designer in the indoor arena is limited only by thier imagination!

I COMPLETELY agree that its "Cheesy" and annoying when its A) Overdone, or B) Done just for the sake of doing it (Not fitting in the show.

At any rate, ( i got long winded too guys! sorry!)

Some of the things i do to get my group involved, is the "shuffle Dance". I blast some music and make them all stand in the middle of the gym, and about every 30 seconds play a TOTALLY different style of music. And i make them dance, move, do whatever they feel compelled to do based on the sound they are hearing. I started this with my group 4 years ago and I had to BEG them and at one point just said "were not doing anything else until EVERYONE is dancing and LOOkS like they mean it! lol. these days they are much less self concious and all i gotta do is put on something with a good beat and they are all about it!

All of this is to make them more aware of their bodies. That they can perform with more than just thier hands and legs.

Another one is to take some random scenarios and write them on slips of paper and drop em in a hat. Each student has to pick on and act it out WITHOUT talking!. And then everyone else has to guess it. Things like "pretend your trying to stop a 3 year old kid from crying". or "walking through a sand storm" , things like that. And again, draw inspiration from other art forms! Again, sport of the "Arts"! In the last couple of years weve used tribal dance, ballet, singing accapella, singing with a mic, hand chimes, hand bells, world instruments. Some designers throw 1000's of dollars worth of props out there and they think that makes it artistic. NOT the case! Thats stuff doesnt count unless its meaningful.

Sorry to get so long on this! good luck! I hope i get to see some of you in Dayton!

Tony Perez

Director

Abington Percussion Theater

www.abingtonpercussiontheater.net

www.myspace.com/theabingtonpercussiontheater

Edited by TastyWaves