Ten really great rifle lines.

GMichael1230

Consistently GREAT rifle line: BOSTON CRUSADERS!!!! Hands down to the 70's!

^0^

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kingsmen had a ######## rifle line. Check the spins in the picture of them in the 1974 (maybe 75?) yearbook. OMG.

It's so nice to still be on a list 22 and 23 years later.

W O W !

It's so nice to still be on a list 22 and 23 years later.

W O W !

Your kidding...right ???? In my opinion, your corps set the standard all else should live up to........the 1980 27th Lancer rifle line is probably the best ever.

Its also nice that you won high guard that year too !!!!! :)

~G~

Nope, I wasn't kidding. Yes, we indeed did win high guard, and I had remembered incorrectly that we won the 5 years I marched. In 78, even with the pom poms both SCV and 2-7 tied for best guard with a 2, but they won total GE, I believe that is why they were announced.

For some reason I thought we had lost to Phantom that year, I also had remembered or thought that we had won the other 4 years that I marched, but when I look back at some of the breakdowns, it doesn't appear that way. I know they annnounced it, I remember it being announced but maybe it was 3 of the 5 years. Either way, it was a lot of work and fun at the same time!

It's a shame that one of our rifles had her appendicts burst the day before finals in 80...very sad, I also notice that Spirit had a rifle missing...and I believe one other corps.

I guess you know that I would have given that up for the title....maybe......but thanks for the nod!

As a side note we had 2 rifles leave in late April early May, and I had to go back in the line, and we brought up a 13 year old from the Lancer Cadets. I know it's hard to believe but we did have a 13 year old in the 1980 line. She was the captain the last year of the corps - 1986. Her sister was also a rifle and the captain the 2 years before her. They grew up around the corps. Their Dad is Jimmy Wedge, our main horn man from the Senior Reveries right up until 1986 and 94.

Thanks again!

Edited by LancerFi

It's a shame that one of our rifles had her appendicts burst the day before finals in 80...very sad, I also notice that Spirit had a rifle missing...and I believe one other corps.

I remember hearing about that in Birmingham. Did she make a full recovery? (A burst appendix is very dangerous, and can result in serious health complications.)

I asked about Spirit's rifle line member way back when on RAMD. Here's the Google link to that thread: Missing rifle in Spirit '80

Steve Sorrell provided the answer. This gal apparently had to miss finals due to illness or injury from 1978 through 1981, and finally got to march finals her age-out year in 1982.

4 years in a row missing finals?....after 2 I would have had a replacement ready and waiting! That's just too much bad luck....that poor soul, I'm glad as well that she finally made it!

As far as Peggy Fitz, we were so crushed for her and for us, we brought her rifle onto the field and it was put under the podium so that she was with us. She watched the show on local TV. We thought things turned out OK, but many years later she became violently ill, they had not gotten all of whatever out in that Birmingham hospital. She was quite ill and it ended up in a law suit which she won.

I was thinking, they'll never let us win with a gapping hole in this rifle line. Although that was all in my head! You know I never knew BD dropped a rifle that night, after the gun went off and just before they pick up those long black streamers. I was shocked just because I didn't know about it...as well, all of the maces that were used by drum majors including BD, spinning and flipping that year, I never knew...just awesome!

She marched many years after that, and was also in Erte...very tall, and usually on the 50 during winter guard. (back in those days when they did that!) Sue I know you know, I'm just telling people who may not know....she is the sister-in-law of the illustrious Charles Poole and was one major rifle, if I may say so....had the total package!

Edited by LancerFi

You know I never knew BD dropped a rifle that night, after the gun went off and just before they pick up those long black streamers.

Long red streamers. They just look black on videotape. :P

And you know, I was there watching the show in-person, but never noticed the drop till years later, when I was watching a tape of the telecast. And even then, I don't see where the drop occurred. The only reason I notice that a rifle was dropped is because you can see one of the rifle line members without her rifle just as they're marching to the front sideline to pick up their streamers. The weird thing is that looking at the field, I can't see a dropped rifle out there. So where did it go?

I guess if you're gonna drop, that's the way to do it . . . so that no one notices.