Ten really great rifle lines.

GMichael1230

I just recently purchased some of the Legacy DVDs from the late 70s - early 80s and was thrilled to see that some of those rifle lines were just as good as I remembered them. Those years do seem to be particularly fruitful for producing talented lines. Among my favorites from that era:

1979 & 1980 27th Lancers

Their precision and attention to detail is phenomenal. In my mind, they defined what a rifle line should be.

1979 North Star

They didn't have the same kind of attack and power of the Lancers but their work was incredibly clean. The synchronization is near flawless, and they had some pretty big tricks.

1979 & 1981 Troopers

Again, not in the same class as 27 in terms of sheer excitement and commanding presence, but their equipment work is solid, with some nice innovations. Yes, it's slow by today's standards but who cares! That kind of precision and "snap" is a lost art. The closing spin/toss/turn/salute from '79 gets me every time.

1979 Guardsmen

I once heard a member of the corps describe these girls as "rough." I'm not sure that's a very flattering compliment but it does describe the pwerful style they had. There were some pretty high tosses and big exchanges that were uncommon at the time.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your list, ChicagoFan. And yes, though they don't get mentioned often, Troopers in '81 had an unbelievably tight rifle line. They just nailed everything.

• 2 weeks later...

my .02 is

27th and Madison in the early 80's

what can I say...I am old

kimela

1979 Guardsmen

I once heard a member of the corps describe these girls as "rough."  I'm not sure that's a very flattering compliment but it does describe the pwerful style they had.  There were some pretty high tosses and big exchanges that were uncommon at the time.

Edited by TerriDitt57

1979 Guardsmen

I once heard a member of the corps describe these girls as "rough."  I'm not sure that's a very flattering compliment but it does describe the pwerful style they had.  There were some pretty high tosses and big exchanges that were uncommon at the time.

I wouldn't say "rough" but they were tough and hardcorps.

Funny you should mention that line because I just saw a girl from that rifle line Sunday who is trying to decide whether or not to join the Royal Airs. I hope she does because she is ONE great rifle.

And she's one of the least "rough" girls around. Bill Hardy made HUGE demands on the girls and for them to be able to pull off what he knew they could do, they had to be hardworking, dedicated and tough. The work they did was amazing and physically VERY demanding.

And Terri, I'm really working on Peg joining us this year. Hopefully she'll get tired of my calling, e-mailing,etc...and hop on board. :P :P :P :P :P

1979 North Star

They didn't have the same kind of attack and power of the Lancers but their work was incredibly clean.  The synchronization is near flawless, and they had some pretty big tricks.

Let's see, 79 NS rifle line, does anyone remember if that was the year they were in a line and did this thing with one leg up and they bent over and put their rifle through the leg of the next person. Um kind of difficult to explain, if so, that's the year I did love! I believe that was the year one of our rifle techs and all around guard guru Stephen Covitz taught them...

I must also again mention BACs rifle line, in all black, pants tucked in boots, with the white Waldo...loved them!!

1979 North Star

They didn't have the same kind of attack and power of the Lancers but their work was incredibly clean.  The synchronization is near flawless, and they had some pretty big tricks.

Let's see, 79 NS rifle line, does anyone remember if that was the year they were in a line and did this thing with one leg up and they bent over and put their rifle through the leg of the next person. Um kind of difficult to explain, if so, that's the year I did love! I believe that was the year one of our rifle techs and all around guard guru Stephen Covitz taught them...

I think I know the move you're talking about. Is it during "Good Vibrations"? If so, I remember it slightly differently from what you describe . . . so I may not be remembering the right thing. It's when each member of the rifle line extends one leg, propping it up on the person next to them, and then bends down and spins their rifle around their own leg.

I'd forgotten how good this rifle line was, but you're both right. They had really tight timing, flawless execution and technique, and did some pretty amazing tricks. Which is why I thought it was too bad that they got stuck on those silver-streamer thingamajigs at the end of the show. Here you've got this fantastic rifle line, but they're relegated to a prop that, IMO, wasn't nearly as effective as if they'd been allowed to finish on the piece of equipment they were so good at. (I know you could say a thing or two about that, Nancy. '78 poms?)

And yes, Boston's rifle line was great during that period, too.

Edited by byline

As usual, I never actually saw NS rifle line in person, but I did happen to see that move at a practice or waiting for a parade to begin. I believe that was the move the way you described it.

I've seen the videos of most years, and no disrespect intended, but not clean on the video, nor do they show to execute well, but you cannot tell I guess from a video as Cavaliers flags the first 40 counts on the video looked very dirty from 02...having said that-one of the best rifle techs came out of the 78 rifle line - TJ from BD. Geoff knows who I'm talking about as many of you probably do. One more thing, the body. I'm not sure if there was a plum line used but body awareness didn't seem there to me, even in just stature, or the portraying of stature. The camera does indeed lie though, so I really should never go by that.

I do believe in 80 they did a lot of very difficult tricks, although they did have some difficulty on finals night, you have to give them credit for doing them!

I forgot one thing, the 80 Spirit rifle line, the more I watch them, the more I think they were a very well rounded rifle line. They've grown on me, if only they had kept the weapon in their hands for concert and beyond, I could have loved them more. Many flips, good heights, a lot of body movement, and some great hand work IMHO.

Edited by LancerFi

Nancy and everyone:

I must agree about 80 Spirit rifles...they spun rifles, they danced (Sweet Georgia Brown), even swinging their legs and feet in time! Very cute and went well with the uniforms.

Sally A. Brancheau