Buccaneers Winter Camp #3

Saturday, January 6, 2007 -- 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. (brass)

Sunday, January 7, 2007 -- 9 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. (brass/percussion)

The Buccaneers capped off a wonderful 2006 by getting off to a great start for the upcoming season, learning all of Rhapsody in Blue and making tremendous progress towards making it sound, well, rhapsodic!

Now, the corps celebrates the new year by jumping full-force into NEW ERA DANCE!

Come check it out!

Twin Valley High School

Elverson, PA

DIRECTIONS

And now, for the literary portion of today's post, courtesy of the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

rhap·so·dy

Pronunciation: 'rap-s&-dE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -dies

Etymology: Latin rhapsodia, from Greek rhapsOidia recitation of selections from epic poetry, rhapsody, from rhapsOidos rhapsodist, from rhaptein to sew, stitch together + aidein to sing

1 : a portion of an epic poem adapted for recitation

2 archaic: a miscellaneous collection

3 a (1) a highly emotional utterance (2) a highly emotional literary work (3) effusively rapturous or extravagant discourse b RAPTURE, ECSTASY

4 : a musical composition of irregular form having an improvisatory character

Happy New Year!

Edited by TomMoore

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to stop in that weekend Tom. Especially to hear Rhaspody.

Jimbalaya

Saturday, January 6, 2007 -- 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. (brass)

Sunday, January 7, 2007 -- 9 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. (brass/percussion)

The Buccaneers capped off a wonderful 2006 by getting off to a great start for the upcoming season, learning all of Rhapsody in Blue and making tremendous progress towards making it sound, well, rhapsodic!

Now, the corps celebrates the new year by jumping full-force into NEW ERA DANCE!

Come check it out!

Twin Valley High School

Elverson, PA

DIRECTIONS

And now, for the literary portion of today's post, courtesy of the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

rhap·so·dy

Pronunciation: 'rap-s&-dE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -dies

Etymology: Latin rhapsodia, from Greek rhapsOidia recitation of selections from epic poetry, rhapsody, from rhapsOidos rhapsodist, from rhaptein to sew, stitch together + aidein to sing

1 : a portion of an epic poem adapted for recitation

2 archaic: a miscellaneous collection

3 a (1) a highly emotional utterance (2) a highly emotional literary work (3) effusively rapturous or extravagant discourse b RAPTURE, ECSTASY

4 : a musical composition of irregular form having an improvisatory character

Happy New Year!

Can't wait to stop in that weekend Tom. Especially to hear Rhaspody.

Jimbalaya

Jim:

Far be it for me to ruin a surprise, but it's a fantastic arrangement! And being performed quite well at this point in the season!

On the Eve of a Blue Era... I bid you all Happy New Year!

The journey for 2007 is well underway.

ahhhhhhhh, the sails are set, the jib is jibbed, the rigging is rigged and the crew is antsy to get on with the New Year, which is another BLUE year

fair thee well '06 and may fair winds bode well for a BLUE ERA in '07

Jimbalaya

I just got back from a lazy couple of daze at my friend's mountain house. Great way to bring in the New Year. Now it's time to officially kick off the 2007 Drum Corps season!

Only a few days until the next Bucs Camp! I can't believe that we will have over half the show under the hornlines' fingers after this weekend. I have to be honest, although I am thoroughly looking forward to getting to work on New Era Dance, I cannot wait to hear what this hornline does with Promise of Living. I have a feeling this will be a very special chart for the Buccaneers.

I just got back from a lazy couple of daze at my friend's mountain house. Great way to bring in the New Year. Now it's time to officially kick off the 2007 Drum Corps season!

Only a few days until the next Bucs Camp! I can't believe that we will have over half the show under the hornlines' fingers after this weekend. I have to be honest, although I am thoroughly looking forward to getting to work on New Era Dance, I cannot wait to hear what this hornline does with Promise of Living. I have a feeling this will be a very special chart for the Buccaneers.

Can't wait to hear Gershwin and the new stuff Dan. I'm sure that listening to them at camp will leave me blue and envious that I'm not playing. However, I'm living vicariously thru Andrew, my student. See you over the weekend.

Jimbalaya

I must say - I've always loved "The Promise of Living" since way back... never imagining that someday I'd be so lucky... Extraordinary!

It's an unbelievably beautiful piece of music. At the local music store, I found a Copland compilation CD that had the orchestral version on it. I cut the rest of my shopping short so I could sit in the car and listen to it right away. It moved me. One of my all-time favorite charts from the Cadets. It lends itself well to a rich, warm, mid- and low-brass sound, which the Bucs do well!

I agree with Dan, it's going to be neat to see how this piece evolves!

Happy new year everyone!