Ruining Trumpet Embachure

musicislife26

I agree with Joe. Try them all. Some folks take longer to move from one size mouthpiece to another, but you will be amazed at how your ears and muscles will work together to help you adjust.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not play mello? It really doesn't seem worth it if you still want to maintain your trumpet playing to completely ruin it just to march corps.

Except it won't ruin it....

Switching is perfectly fine and can even HELP you in some areas. You just have to be willing to put in a little bit of effort when you make the switch back is all.

I do just fine switching between several brass instruments during the day. Its not a big deal.

Maynard Ferguson doubled on trumpet and trombone.

Maynard played everyday and all the time.

I think what happens is this.

Your lips are a muscle.You start working new muscles(Tuba chops) and they become stronger.On the flip side the main muscles(trumpet chops) become weaker.

Its nothing that a few days/weeks/months(depending on how much you practice) behind the horn can correct.

Best adivce Ive heard on this thread is if your going to keep your options open,,at least stay in the same family.Trumpet/Mello

With Capital Brass, some years ago, I played lead sop, mello, contra and bari, in successive years, and eventually went back to playing trumpet on professional groups.

I believe that the muscles CAN be retrained.

The best advice, though, is to play an instrument where you can keep your embrochure relatively the same. Maybe try to find a mello mouthpiece as close as possible to the size rim and cup on your trumpet mp.

I have tried to match up my trumpet, flugel and cornet sizes (as much as one can) to minimize the fatigue you would otherwise get in changing your embrochure during, or across gigs.

Edited by brassomaniac

The Curry mouthpiece system has consistent internal cup diameters as well as rim edges. After that there are tons of cup shape, backbore, and shank combos for all types of trumpets, cornets, and flugels. Might help in your future attempts at doubling, at least in the high brass area.

http://www.currympc.com/

I currently play on a 3TF on mello and just received a 3C for trumpet, which is different from a Bach 3C which was my old piece of choice.

Maynard also played French horn alot, back to the topic, I've marched all of the horns (tuba, mello, bari, sop) I'm normally a trumpet player, the biggrst problem I ran into was going big (tuba) to small (trumpet) at the same time(less then 5 mins between) My lips just wouldnt buzz on the smaller piece for about an hour, after that it was fine, your muscles just develop differently for different horns, also, playing low brass will REALLY help your air use, and tone on all of the horns.

I don't know anything about brass playing but my brother was a trumpet player who switched to tuba and he's gotten better on trumpet since then...

• 2 weeks later...
If a corps would take me on a brand new brass instrument... And I thought I could hack it or learn well enough, would playing say Contra screw up my trumpet chops? or Bari or Mello? I really want to march, and any brass instrument would be good enough for me!

I asked the same question of the good folkes over on the BD boards

http://www.bluedevils.org/forums/index.php...c=10300&hl=

For what it's worth I play tuba, baritone, and mellophone. Playing baritone and mellophone has helped me become a better tuba player. Good luck to ya!