Has anyone out there.....?

BlueKnightsPitChick

I was just wondering if anyone out there has chosen to play the rack (auxiliary percussion) on their own for more than one season. That means you played it as your first choice, not because you were cut from the battery/pit and played rack as a means to be involved with the corps that season. It seems to be a position most people settle for but not many (if any...that's why I posted this) choose to do.

For as cool as some rack parts can be, I my self have never chosen to play it with exception of the one season of college band that I was pit section leader, and chose to play on one tune to let others get more mallet percusison time (that and I was bored on Marimba and wanted to mix things up a bit)

I've known instructors who've wanted to play, or were needed to play, jump onto rack and improvise parts. I've also known students who've played auxilary percussion for multiple consecutive seasons for indoor drumline...weather that was thier passion or not, I'm not sure. (

For some of the AMAZING things the rack players do in Junior Corps, you'd think more people would be interested. But I've also seen alot of junky and thin rack parts too. Alas no matter what people do I think the rack will still remain a "dumping ground" of sorts for percussionists who don't make the line...no matter how wrong it is to think that way. <**>

This is a great question, I'm curious to see if any one out there does have a passion for Rack Auxillary! I'd totally give them a pat on the back!

The reason I wrote this topic is because I am one of those people that has chosen to play the rack. I hopped in my first season because there was an opening in the corps for rack, but after that I fell in love. This year will be my fifth season rockin' it on the rack, and I'll still have one year left. You can find me on any of the DVD's from 03-05 (they didn't show me on this years DVD) starting the Blue Knights show on chimes.

that is awesome. rock the rack, i like it. I never have, but maybe I should, it always did look fun! :) I have always had a desire to try the pit sometime, but I have always talked myself out of it because I am not a great mallet player or timpanists. ::shrugs:: I guess I (wrongly) looked over the aux. percussion as a possibility. Hmmm....

This year will be my fifth season rockin' it on the rack, and I'll still have one year left. .

lol, Rockin' it on the Rack. I love it! It sounds like you really have a fun time! Good for you, and keep up the hard work! I'll look up some of those shows, and I hope you have a fun age out season. I bet you can find a senior corps who'd kill for an expierenced rack player who knows thier stuff... B) <-- thats you, being super cool!

Best of luck to you!