Audition camp coming up

play4passion

This is my first time going to an audition camp and im not really sure what its like. They are Div.3 i would just like some pointers, and some tips on what to do and expect. Thanks in advance

Edited by play4passion

This is my first time going to an audition camp and im not really sure what its like. They are Div.3 i would just like some pointers, and some tips on what to do and expect. Thanks in advance

Hey!

Congrats on your first Audition! Thats great.

I was a DCI div 3 Percussion Caption head in 03/04. My best advice to you, is to show up prepared as can be.

1) Make sure you have your audition fees/application fees

2) If they sent you materials or have it on thier website etc, KNOW IT! If they didnt send it or its not on thier site, email them and ask for it.

3) Dont be that guy!

The guy who shows up "hot doggin" , talkin themselves up. Trust me when i tell you they dont want to see a flashy disply from you. Its not "I &E" competition. Focus on sound quality, fundamentals of grip and technique. Even if you have to play it slower. They dont want to see "Ditty" or "Cadets snare break from 05" etc.

4) Be cool!

Help out with loading and unloading, set up, clean up etc. They are evaluating your ability to work with the team as much as your playing.

5) Have fun!

You get to go somewhere for a day and play DRUMS! What could be better?

Rock on! Post and let us know how it went!

Tony Perez

Brigs 04

Brigs 05

Bucs 06

Back to Brigs 07

USMC

Vic Firth Education Team

awesome...and do you know what kind of music we would be running through etc.

Again bro,

Im not really sure. Thats why you should just try to seek it out from them. But either way, you cant go wrong working on great fundamentals. No matter what they hand you, it will apply. Good luck!

Tony

awesome...and do you know what kind of music we would be running through etc.

At this point in the year, you will likely get handed some sort of exercise program and maybe one or two pieces of show music.

In my experience, first camps just have an exercise book (don't be surprised if you spend the majority of the first night playing 8's and maybe a tap-accent pattern) and sometimes a few bars of show music.

Practice Sightreading alot, while moving your feet and with a metronome. Most likely you'll be sightreading something when you do get there, becuase even if they give you the materials someting will probibly be added, or the show music will be handed out. The better you can sightread, then the better off you are.

And prepare those standard warm-ups that every line does (as someone above had mentioned 8's) Practice that and any triplet roll exersize you know and double and triple beats. There may be tons of variations on those, but if you can play those comfortbly, then you've got the main structure of those exersizes down. Check patterns are your friend!

Best of luck to you! Are you trying out for any specific instrument in the line?