Quality and preference

Martybucs

I have a Yamaha Mike Vax trumpet Bb and a Yamaha C trumpet, (I forget the model number). Both pro horns. Both very unreliable as far as construction is concerned. They play nice and were a good price. Like the saying goes, "the dissatisfaction of poor quality lasts much longer than the satisfaction of low price"

I need a pro horn though. I play in a couple of bands as side jobs and I play lead. I don't have $12,000 for a Monette. I have no idea what they play like anyhow. Have to do a lot of part time gigs to make that up.

I'm not a big bore person. I like medium large. You have to know what it's like to play a large bore horn after a 4 hour job to know why I like medium bore.

In anycase, I'd like to hear your thoughts on affordable pro horns less than $2000.00 I know that narrows it down from some good horns.

However, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Stomvi, Getzen trumpets, or any other models. Do you like it? Would you buy it again? What would you change if you could? Would you recommend it?

Bach is on strike and so I guess they're out of the running. (still on strike?) I used to have a Strad 180S 37* - wish I still did. It got run over by a truck :( (note:ProPak case cannot withstand a large truck running over it)

If you got a couple of minutes let me know what you think, if you were buying a horn. What would you try and why?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a Yamaha Xeno; I love it! You really can't go wrong with a Yamaha. The valves are a little slow at first, but once they break in, they are Nice!

I have a Yamaha Mike Vax trumpet Bb and a Yamaha C trumpet, (I forget the model number). Both pro horns. Both very unreliable as far as construction is concerned. They play nice and were a good price. Like the saying goes, "the dissatisfaction of poor quality lasts much longer than the satisfaction of low price"

I need a pro horn though. I play in a couple of bands as side jobs and I play lead. I don't have $12,000 for a Monette. I have no idea what they play like anyhow. Have to do a lot of part time gigs to make that up.

I'm not a big bore person. I like medium large. You have to know what it's like to play a large bore horn after a 4 hour job to know why I like medium bore.

In anycase, I'd like to hear your thoughts on affordable pro horns less than $2000.00 I know that narrows it down from some good horns.

However, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Stomvi, Getzen trumpets, or any other models. Do you like it? Would you buy it again? What would you change if you could? Would you recommend it?

Bach is on strike and so I guess they're out of the running. (still on strike?) I used to have a Strad 180S 37* - wish I still did. It got run over by a truck :( (note:ProPak case cannot withstand a large truck running over it)

If you got a couple of minutes let me know what you think, if you were buying a horn. What would you try and why?

I have a pretty clear preference, anything thing made in a Zig Kanstul shop!!

All my bugles are Kantuls. My trumpets are Kanstul or LA Benge (Kanstul ran the shop). My flugel horn is LA Benge.

I love all these instruments & they play great. I prefer large bore horns, I like the free blow, maybe it's the way I play but...

If $ are an issue you can always look at used instruments, I got my LA Benge 6X off of ebay and it has to be the best horn I ever played, slots great, plays in tune & is very responsive. I guess there's a reason why these horns were so popular with the pros. The price was less then $1k.

Dave

I have a pretty clear preference, anything thing made in a Zig Kanstul shop!!

All my bugles are Kantuls. My trumpets are Kanstul or LA Benge (Kanstul ran the shop). My flugel horn is LA Benge.

I love all these instruments & they play great. I prefer large bore horns, I like the free blow, maybe it's the way I play but...

If $ are an issue you can always look at used instruments, I got my LA Benge 6X off of ebay and it has to be the best horn I ever played, slots great, plays in tune & is very responsive. I guess there's a reason why these horns were so popular with the pros. The price was less then $1k.

Dave

Hmmm. Kanstul. Didn't like the sop so much, but a Benge...I'll look into that. Trouble with ebay is you don't get to try the thing. Do you know the time period when Zig ran the shop? I remember guys talking about Zig when I was pretty young. He must be like in his mid eighties by now! Still in the business -wow! Guess he's one of those American workers with poor work ethics someone mentioned on another thread, defending Yamaha horns.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hmmm. Kanstul. Didn't like the sop so much, but a Benge...I'll look into that. Trouble with ebay is you don't get to try the thing. Do you know the time period when Zig ran the shop? I remember guys talking about Zig when I was pretty young. He must be like in his mid eighties by now! Still in the business -wow! Guess he's one of those American workers with poor work ethics someone mentioned on another thread, defending Yamaha horns.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Keep in mind you might not have liked the sop because it's a large bore .470, my 6x Benge is .468 (almost the same). Closest thing I can find in a trumpet to the free blow of a Kanstul Sop. Considering how you said you didn't like large bores, I'm not surprised you didn't care for the sop much. However a Benge 3x or 4x might be the ticket as those are ML bores and may suit you well.

The Benges you'd be looking for are LA or Burbank Benges. He ran the Benge shop until they were bought out by UMI around 1980 +/- a year. You can tell by the stamp on the bell of the horn, it'll say Los Angeles or Burbank or maybe even Anaheim if it just says USA then it's a UMI Benge.

Best thing to do is to google Benge, there are some websites that provide this detail even better.

There are other brands of good horns out there too. My preference is to go with Zig.

He also worked in the 'F.E. Olds' shop too. Some of those horns are highly regarded as well. Do a little reasearch. You might be surprised.

Dave

Keep in mind you might not have liked the sop because it's a large bore .470, my 6x Benge is .468 (almost the same). Closest thing I can find in a trumpet to the free blow of a Kanstul Sop. Considering how you said you didn't like large bores, I'm not surprised you didn't care for the sop much. However a Benge 3x or 4x might be the ticket as those are ML bores and may suit you well.

The sop is a .470"? I thought it felt stuffy to tell the truth compared to my DEG at .468" I remember the Kanstul sop having some curious tubing and a trigger I believe you were supposed to keep in and let it out for certain 12 combos. That was an easy 10 years ago or more.

I like the sound and general feel of a large bore. It's just when I do play a job it's usually 3-4 hours or more and by the end of the night the upper register gets a bit strained on a large bore.

0A couple of my Blue Band friends march Xenos in jr corps. They told me the Xeno are just as good as the Bach Strads(Blue Band marches Strads, ML). My understanding is the Xeno is more consistent model to model.

It wouldn't hurt to try out the Blessing pro trumpet or an Accent. I believe the Blessing horn is based on the original Bach Strad specs. The Accent trumpets are made in Germany.

Marty, do you have a local music store you usually go to? Have you ever been to a Robert M Sides store?

Something you might want to consider is the Kanstul Mariachi. It is a clone of the old 38B Conn Constellation. It is a small bore, but because of the wide tubing wrap has a more open feel than the bore would indicate (but not wide open huge). It can be ordered from Kanstul without the Mariachi engraving and the stupid two tone finish. I would suggest that you try one from a shop that has a trial period and if you like it, place an order through the factory.

The sop is a .470"? I thought it felt stuffy to tell the truth compared to my DEG at .468" I remember the Kanstul sop having some curious tubing and a trigger I believe you were supposed to keep in and let it out for certain 12 combos. That was an easy 10 years ago or more.

I like the sound and general feel of a large bore. It's just when I do play a job it's usually 3-4 hours or more and by the end of the night the upper register gets a bit strained on a large bore.

Maybe you got a "lemon". All the one's I've played were wide open, even the king bugles (again made by Zig) were wide open.

All the Kanstul Bugles come with that tune any note feature so you can compensate for some of the intonation problems the bugles have.

The DEG sopranos have those triggers now too.

Dave

Check out the Kanstul Chicago models. They're made using the EXACT madrels that Benge used in his shop.

I would also recommend a Getzen 900 Eterna (the modern day Severinsen model). How about a Schilke? It sounds like you're mostly into commercial/jazz work.

Bach does have limited production coming out.