Marching Mallets

King Good. :bleah::laugh:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

King Good.

Reasons?

It's a simple matter of design. The Yamaha Xeno trumpets are fine instruments. The King trumpet was designed to project differently than the Xeno trumpet because the King was designed to be played outdoors. It's a tool for a different purpose. The Xeno is a concert instrument and was designed with that purpose in mind.

SO...they're both fine instruments, but one (King) is better suited for outdoor marching band performance than the other (Yamaha). If you're marching get a King....if you're sitting in a wind ensemble get a Yamaha.

The only part of the Yamaha line that wasn't designed for outdoor use was the trumpet, so along those lines, I think you have to consider the rest of the brass choir. That being said, I have my preference, which I have stated earlier in this thread, but practically, I know cost is usually an issue, and I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. So.....which can you get a better deal on? If the musicians are taught well, either of those lines will yield a great sound on the field.

I played both Yamaha and King Euphoniums at DCI '06. The King was the better playing horn IMO. Although the King was odd to hold as a marching horn. The Yamaha seemed more comfortable to hold and played pretty good too. I didn't really like the valve action of the Yamaha as the valves tended to bounce if you let up quickly and lifted your finger off the cap. The King Euph had some lever thing on the 1st valve slide, which wasn't entirely evident which hand should use it. And I'm sure that if I bought a used one, it'd probably be missing that part.

IMO the Kings seem a little better across the board. The Yamahas were good, but some voices seemed to be lemons relative to the rest of the voices. Namely the yamaha french horn, which slotted so poorly I couldn't play anything accurately standing still, much less marching. Granted that I don't normally play that voice, or on the Kelly mouthpieces I was using at the time. Just my opinions on my limited exposure.

It's a simple matter of design. The Yamaha Xeno trumpets are fine instruments. The King trumpet was designed to project differently than the Xeno trumpet because the King was designed to be played outdoors. It's a tool for a different purpose. The Xeno is a concert instrument and was designed with that purpose in mind.

SO...they're both fine instruments, but one (King) is better suited for outdoor marching band performance than the other (Yamaha). If you're marching get a King....if you're sitting in a wind ensemble get a Yamaha.

Yea, that, what he said. :P

I have been looking into complete the "cost vs sound" for a new horn line in the last few months. And for a complete horn line Yamaha is definitely the cheapest overall because of their mass-production discounts and youth organization discounts. King's cost a bit more, but I feel it is by far worth the extra bucks for the better sound, in my opinion. I still need to get together with some Kanstul Bbs and King Bbs world of brass and hear the difference and feel the different back to back on them. I know I love Kanstul high brass outside the best, but I have not yet compared them back to back yet as I have done so with yamaha/Kings.

But regardless of which lines of horns are "best" in whose ever opinion, it still comes down to good teaching on those horns, if you take a bunch of 20 year old Bbs line of brass horns and give them good students and a great bunch of teachers the kids will still sound good, however you give those same kids any of these 'top' 3 brands with poor teaching, they won't sound as good. Every corps has their 'sound' and that comes from choosing the instrument that allows the easiest flow towards that sound, with excellent teaching involved to that end. If Blue Devils were to start playing on PR horns, they would not sound like the Blue Devils and Vice Versa for PR using BD horns. It just wouldn't fly that way. Thats my opinion on the subject. Give me another year of research and I'll be able to choose between all 3, or maybe a 4th unknown, or untapped, manufacturer too.

So to answer the topic question, I prefer Kings over Yamaha any day, but if I were in front teaching a horn line using Yamaha, I wouldn't be displeased at all with the quality or sound, it's just not my preferred sound of a wide open relaxed sound.

The only part of the Yamaha line that wasn't designed for outdoor use was the trumpet, so along those lines, I think you have to consider the rest of the brass choir. That being said, I have my preference, which I have stated earlier in this thread, but practically, I know cost is usually an issue, and I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. So.....which can you get a better deal on? If the musicians are taught well, either of those lines will yield a great sound on the field.

The Yamaha Xeno is true professional horn and yes it does have a hand hammerd bell. For a simple comparisson, the Xeno is Bach Stradivarious of the Yamaha line. A hand hammered bell will cause the sound to resonate differently than a stamped bell. Correct me if I am wrong but the Xeno is the only trumpet on the corps filed with a hand hammerd bell.

As far as mellos go, I feel Yamaha has the best on the market. Check out the review of the 204 on www.midllehornleader.com

I will add that that Yamaha is still actively developing their marching brass. Three models of mello alone since about 2000. New Euphonium last year. They seem interested in getting it right.