The Kiwanis Kavaliers Need Your Help

Hi everyone,

If you haven’t heard, our equipment truck was burglarized a little over a week ago. We are working very closely with the Barbara Goleman High School Administration and Miami-Dade Police Department to catch the people responsible for the theft. Our staff has been monitoring several online resources, including Drum Corps Planet, for leads and other information that could help us get our instruments back. This is where you come in. Our website, www.kiwaniskavaliers.org, has been updated to include the poster we’ve created to support the recovery efforts. Feel free to print, e-mail and post them. If you have any questions, you can contact me directly at Angel@KiwanisKavaliers.org. While we encourage you to be vigilant, we ask that you please keep speculation private. Our organization thanks you for all of your support!

Sincerely,

I really hope things work out for you guys. I've met a few people that marched a few years ago that are now key members in their corps.

-Weedy

This really baffles me. Such a terrible thing to have happen. I hope you guys catch them and get your horns back because that is just stupid. I had to post something because there is no one here with me to tell how stupid it is for someone to steal your horns. And yes your corps produces very valueable members, I hope it all works out.

I've posted the link and information on Pioneer's website. It's the least that we can do. Hopefully someone, somewhere will have some information that will at least lead to the equipment, and hopefully lead to the arrest of those involved in the theft.

And to re-clarify what I posted in the original thread, the theft of instruments really isn't all that uncommon. It happens all the time. Band rooms get knocked off all the time. Music stores report thefts regularly. In a couple minutes on Google I was able to find literally hundreds of reports of stolen band instruments. Usually these were stolen one or two at a time, but there were some reports that would make you shake your head. For example, the theft of 24 oboes and bassoons from a music store in Minneapolis. Or, different accounts of $10,000, $12,000 and $30,000 in instruments stolen in separate band room burglaries. Most of the times these instruments were recovered at pawn shops. In a few cases, they were recovered when the thieves posed as vendors and tried to sell them to music stores. Last, but not least, they've frequently turned up on websites such as E-Bay and Craigslist. The best thing that everyone can do is be vigilant.