The Commandants Own

I went and saw the U.S. Marine drum & bugle corps today at MCRD San Diego.

OK... so the stands on the parade grounds were just about completely packed. Marine Recruits filled the stands on either "end zone" I've been trying to figure out how many - and if I recall there were ten bleacher sections on either side with fifty(?) people in each section - so a thousand Recruits. There were that many bleachers on the front side line with five rows of chairs in front of that. It was pretty full and the weather was beautiful today - warm - in the 80's.

When I had heard about them coming I went on their web site and it has not been updated and still reflects last years show. The Commandants Own I hoped that it was different but I wasn't sure. The show starts off with a Civil (Revolutionary?) War number (sorry, I don't remember the name) but it was a nice song, nothing too powerful, but WELL balanced. Then the drumline threw down playing Carmen (Carmen!) with a drum break. This drumline is way improved over what I remember them being last year. They got the goods! Then the third song was Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy! YES! There was a very nice duet that the sopranos pulled off and the crowd just loved the song and gave a long ovation afterwards. Then a brief break with the announcer saying what the last three songs were. First was a 007 medley that I liked, then, I couldn't believe it "Your Beautiful" by James Blunt(?!?!) I hate that song! ha! But they did another good job! Then the closer was a patriotic medley that was again very nice. They got a long ovation then a standing ovation (well the side two bleachers anyway) and then they moved over to parade formation to allow the silent drill team to come on and do their thing. The corps numbers were (and I'll probably get this wrong) 6 Contra's, 13 Bari/Euph's, 6 Mellophone's, 16 Soprano's, 4 Bass, 3 Tenors, 7 Snares and 2 Pit. Decent numbers. They looked and sounded good. But I was at ground level and couldn't see the drill. And there were NO lines painted. From what I could see, not even a 50.

The Silent Drill team was pretty darn good too. It's so cool to see that Sergeant come out and inspect several of the rifles. They do some scarey tosses to each other! And all of the popping and smacking sounds tight. Then the Battle Colors were paraded and then they all marched out. AND, and, my darling wonderful daughter even said that she liked it. hmm.

Here's the rest of their schedule.

Sunday, 04 March - Rose Bowl

Monday, 05 March - Torrey Pines high school - Del Mar CA

Monday, 05 March - MCAS Miramar (about a hundred yards from my work. I think I'll go!)

Tuesday, 06 March - 29 Palms

Wednesday, 07 March - Barstow

Wednesday, 07 March - Chaparrell high school - Temecula CA

Thursday, 08 March - Eisenhower high school - Rialto CA

After that, it's not posted. They'll go back to D.C. and the rest of the country where it's still TOO COLD. haha.

I can't wait for June!

Dan Saeger

Here's some pics that I took. USMC Battle Color Ceremony

Edited by dsaeger

I wish you could have some mp3's of them playing from the said event.. ^_^ Especially James Blunt's song.