Discussions with Gary

James McDonald here. I've been relaxing this afternoon watching the great performances turned in by the first few corps. I'd like to say first off how proud of everyone I am and how excited I am to be here. But enough about me. I ran into Gary Currier, director of DCPI Times in between all his busy work this week interviewing all the directors along with running his corps. I thought I would take the time to ask him a few questions to let you into the mind of one of DCPI's most active members.

James: Gary, thanks for taking a moment to chat with me. I know you've been busy this week. This is your first season in DCPI with The Knights, how has your season been?

Gary: Actually this is our second season (first off season) with DCPI. We came on strong last season but then failed to make finals by tenths, so we are certainly looking to improve upon that and make finals! Just like all season I have been with The Knights (years in FDCI, VCL and FDC-eurpore) we start of strong, lag in the middle when we are doing the reworks, then finish strong. The ultimate goal is always making it to finals and then that night, rush for the gold! We have two national titles under our belts FDCI 20 and VCL, but this will definitely be the cherry on top if we can get there..

James: My mistake, we took the last live season to prepare better for this season. Welcome to the your first off-season at least then! Now, seeing your performance time, how do you think you'll fair? Will the 5pm time hurt or help?

Gary: I am fine with the 5pm time. Puts us in that “where did they come from” category if we can pull it off. I also have a great deal of respect for the corps in our grouping. Inergy has been a great new corps turning some heads; The Great Lakers are one of the all time favorite corps in this activity, as well as the Tennessee Nipples; Cross is an amazing corps who I feel just like us will move up from where they are at and Nastalgia and the Knights have had a great friendly competitive history together and I have worked with Cedric a lot through CLASS. I am actually more surprised by Sunrise Surf being after dinner. Lori and I are concerned that it might put them in a very tough position against other corps, but we will keep the faith!

James: Sounds like your group will keep the fans glued to their seats instead of heading to dinner early. So, what's your most memorable moment been to date this season?

Gary: Well there are so many things, the first time the Knights really clicked with The Moldau and the crowd really reacted to an emotional piece of classical music was EXCELLENT, but hearing Sunrise Surf play the original piece I wrote for them which is basically about the sun god going across the country was really very touching. They have taken the music and made it all theirs and I congratulate Lori Smith on a great job with the kids!

James: Your Knights are sitting in 7th going into Prelims, think you can hold off the corps behind you?

Gary: Well you always keep glancing in the rear view mirror! In this activity—YOU HAVE TO. We are filled with so much talent and so many great kids, corps and histories. The goal really is to just be part of that history! BUT if you think I am not eyeing the number 6th-1st place corps, YOUR CRAZY!

James: Thanks man for all the hard work!

Gary: Thank you—thanks to all the directors for support with FDCI Times and thanks for being part of such a great organization!

James: Okay, back to the corps!