throught about WGI as it comes to a close

what are your thoughts on WGI this year? exciting? boring? innovative? safe? repetitive?

my husband and i were talking on the drive home today and we were underwhelmed this year. we both usually walk out of world class prelims simply amazed at the shows we just saw. this year we could only name a handful that we were really excited about.

oh my god was fantasia breathtaking!! what a great show design and wonderful performers. i sincerely hope they get the gold this year. pride was technically quite good but the show concept was flat to me and i didn't get excited at all. i am really glad that aimachi placed so high. their show was beautiful! i will be the first person to say i really don't like baton twirling at all, but when aimachi does it, I LOVE IT! they don't seem to get the credit the deserve most years and i am pleased to see them in 3rd going into finals. blessed sac's show was fantastic as well. i am disappointed that i only got to see it once this season.

as far as SW goes, james logan's show was amazing. they are so innovative and creative. those kids show so much skill and poise while on the floor and by far are the best SW group. i know many people on here loved avon, so i wanted to ask why you liked it. maybe i just loved their show last season so much that this show seemed dull, but kind of like pride, i thought the show was kind of flat. maybe they just had a less that stellar show in prelims. we unfortunately couldn't stay tonight for finals and a lot of times finals shows are so much better than prelims runs.

anyway... just want some thoughts. please feel free to talk about all classes... i just didn't have the the opportunity to see any open class and i saw very limited A class.

*** new information***

WOW! i can't believe the IW scores!! i am so glad that (even though i hate when groups tie at championships) that both aimachi and blessed sec took home bronze medals! did anyone stay to watch world class retreat?

Edited by sparkle_motion14

I only got to see the live video feed, and I didn't feel that Logan (one of the few guards I have seen live) was as exciting on video, which leeds me to believe that maybe the excitement level doesn't translate well over the internet, but that said, I though this was a year of very boring colorguard. There were definately some exceptions to that, but for the most part, I'm glad I only paid $25.00 to watch and didn't put out the money to go to Dayton.

Notable exceptions that stick out in my mind at this time:

A or Open Class: there was a guard that did Stille Nacht with a soldier in the middle playing the violin overlayed with the santa clause poem about the soldier....that was a NICE show!

Other groups that stand out: Fantasia, Phantom Regiment, Northsomething Indepenent (from Florida).

I'm not saying other groups weren't good...these are just the names that stand out in my mind, but overall, I miss the 90s!

i was equally happy that i didn't shell out the big bucks to see world class finals. i was glad to see world class prelims because i thought $30 for a full day of guard was acceptable.

james logan was really great in person. i loved the whole beginning when they were holding people parallel to the floor and throwing rifles over them and catching it on the other side. i really enjoyed that show.

i agree that NEi (north east independent) was great. i am usually impressed with that group!

i just think this year was an "off" year. i can't expect everyone to come up with some ground break, exciting show idea every year. i was thinking on my drive home how much i missed norther lights this year, though.

anyone have some more thoughts?

I thought the exact opposite as the original poster--this is the first year that I actually sat down and watched ALL of world finals. Usually there are always a few guards that I had seen in prelims that I didn't want to see in finals and ended up getting up and walking around while they were on, but this year, I thought everyone in World had a 'can't miss' show. No two shows were similar. No one's show was forgettable.

This is definitely a year where I will be watching the dvd over and over.

I agree. This was the first time in years that I enjoyed each and every show in both IW and SW finals. I think this was one of the best WGI's in years.

This was the first WGI finals I'd been to in 20 years -- and my husband's very first -- so I really didn't know what to expect. We loved every guard we saw, including the exhibition guards. My husband suffers from sciatica, which makes prolonged periods of sitting excruciatingly painful. Yet he was so blown away by all the guard performances that for him, it was worth it. That shows you how good it was, in our eyes.