Carolina Crown Board Member Passes Away

I got news this morning that Carolina Crown Board Member and Volunteer David Whitesides(spelling) has passed. I don't know the details or the services info. As soon as I do or a official announcement comes from Crown on their website you'll know.

David was a long time friend of Carolina Crown and a good friend of mine. He will be missed! David was a resident of Shelby, NC.

Luke

:angel:

From the Carolina Crown Website:

David Whitesides Article at CarolinaCrown.org

For many of us in the Crown Family, and drum corps community, this is a sad, sad day. David died too young and so suddenly. He was only 41 years old. :(

David was often a staple at the Crown souvie rig over the years. A large man with a large heart, he was perhaps one of the finest human beings I have had the honor to know. All of us Crown folks are hurting. :(

We will miss our dear friend. :angel:

Edited by tubamann

From the Carolina Crown Website:

David Whitesides Article at CarolinaCrown.org

For many of us in the Crown Family, and drum corps community, this is a sad, sad day. David died too young and so suddenly. He was only 41 years old. :(

David was often a staple at the Crown souvie rig over the years. A large man with a large heart, he was perhaps one of the finest human beings I have had the honor to know. All of us Crown folks are hurting. :(

We will miss our dear friend. :angel:

Thanks for the link, Marcus. When I first saw the thread this morning, the name didn't really ring a bell, but when you mentioned that he was a staple at the souvie rig over the years, I immediately knew who it was.

Such a nice guy, and gone way too soon.

Edited by oldsoprano

David Whitesides, a long time board member for Carolina Crown, supporter of Drumcorps, and assistant to the Shelby High School and Middle School band programs in Shelby N.C., passed away Saturday morning. He had been complaining lately of being extremely tired, and was supposed to play Saturday morning with the Gardner-Webb University Wind Ensemble for Comencement ceremony.

David was very involved in his community, volunteering to play whatever, whenever he could. He was also very active in WGI, teaching several winterguards as well as serving as guard instructor for numerous marching bands in the Carolinas.

His family will be receiving friends tonight (Mon. 5/14) at Cleveland Funeral Home in Shelby N.C. with the funeral being held in the Shelby High School Auditorium Tues. (5/15) at 4:00 p.m.

David was 41 years old.

He will be missed!

OMG, that is sad. Please accept my condolences to Crown and their loss. :beer:

My most sincere condolences to the Carolina Crown family.

Too young...too young.

I can't express the loss that I feel with the passing of David. He was my best friend and basically a brother. He is the reason I became involved with drum corps. He got me to go out on tour for a week to help drive and I haven't missed a summer since. He has meant the world to many people and students. He was my guard instructor for years and had a passion for what he did like no other.

The Crown family and the band world will truly miss this great individual. He was a friend to everyone and would do anything for you. I have never experienced a greater loss then I did Saturday. It is the worse thing I have had to deal with in my entire life.

This summer won't be the same without him as it will be the first time I have been on tour with out him being there.

Please keep his family and the Crown Family in your prayers.