Why we let her march

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why we let her march

Once in awhile, I receive a submission that is so well written, that hits home so hard, that I get goose bumps. This is such a Fanfare column. In it, a mother explains the challenge in letting her daughter leave home to march in a corps and how it made her daughter into a better person. This is something all parents should read and a column that should be saved by all potential members of corps who might need some "ammunition" to convince their parents to let them march.

Fantastic article, and a fantastic parent! The incredibly sad truth is that I've known more than a few kids who marched up to 5 years in DCI and never once had their parents at a show. I just can't believe that. My mother was so supportive. She came to every show within a couple hundred miles of home and was at finals both of my years in DCI. My younger brother Sean was with her every time. Thank you both!!!

If/when I ever have children, I can't imagine anything that would make me prouder than seeing them on the field in competition! I hope I don't become a stage-dad! :blink: