Wildwood Elks parade Observations....

Back in the day, NJ Legion Sates parade used to be the biggie, with sometimes over 30 corps marching, but nowadays the Wildwood Elks Parade draws the corps, and an appreciative audience. had a chance to see most of the corps pass by Kelly's Tavern, so thought I'd share some of what I saw and heard.....

Melrose Blackhawks.... about 17 brass 3 perc.... played Copa Cabana, some nice playing by a couple of lead sops, and low brass. They marched very well..probably the best of all the all age corps....

Blessed Sac approx 32-33 brass...had the crowd clapping to National emblem...usual fine, crisp sop line. I believe 4-5 snares and four tenors.

Jersey Surf- real big corps, too large to count..played a patriotic medley... very nice tone quality and blend. Sounded real fresh even 3/4 of the way through the parade. Drum Line very impressive...

Skyliners alumni- recognized the street beat from several blocks away..... forgot what they played but the low brass was really putting out some sound ( in contrast to the usual powerful sop line) Had a very large contingent of snare druumers... Estimate hornline size in the high tweties, low thirties

Light Brigade- A little smaller than in the past, but did a nice job with "Danny Boy" when passing by Kelly's.

Emerald Grenadears- about 12-14 brass and 8 percussion... the only all female all age corps in the country ( to my knowledge) projected a sound much larger

than their numbers...

RCC

Archie- Brass numbers in the twenties, about 8 perc. Sounded good playing "We are the Musketeers"

Reilly Raiders- the snares and tenor drums filled up almost the entire width of atlantic avenue. Stopped turned and played directly to the fans at Kelly's and they roared their approval. Loudest corps of the day. 30 plus brass. Played two tunes from the '64 Reilly the opener and "My Romance". Nicely done!

Fusion Core - only saw them breifly ( was coming out of Kelly's at the time). Looked good. Sounded a little tentative- prbbably because they've been concentrating on getting their field show ready-understandably so....

Broolyn United- Good sized brass and perc line proabaly about 28-30 horns and about 10-12 in battery. Did a nice job with "Under the Boardwalk"

Sorry, didn't see Yankee Rebels or Raiders. All in all a very enjoyable day Wildwood- perfect weather, good company, and lots of corps

Reilly Raiders- the snares and tenor drums filled up almost the entire width of atlantic avenue. Stopped turned and played directly to the fans at Kelly's and they roared their approval. Loudest corps of the day. 30 plus brass. Played two tunes from the '64 Reilly the opener and "My Romance". Nicely done!

thanks for noticing us, we played Hooton's Herd & My Romance

the drumline was from left to right:

ReillyElks07-7.jpg

tenors: Frank Neill, Jay Brown, Tom McQuiston, Dan Smith, Al McFadden

snares: Jim Reilly, Mike Graham, Billy Kauffman, Walt Biehn, Dale Adair, Dave Brisiel, Frank Ziegler, Rick Iovine, Hugh McGinnis, Rich Nigro

ReillyElks07-2.jpg

come see us again at the Irish weekend in Wildwood Sept 21, 22, 23

Edited by BeinGreen

Wow Walt those are some great pics buddy

at least you & I think so!

I thought somebody would comment about Billy Kauffman or Dale Adair being in there

maybe if it were in the DCI thread old Xmen alum would see it ?

but maybe even though its a mouse click away

even age outs from DCI dont check the Sr-Alum forum?

the exchange concert with BSGK was huge D&B fun!

PS the drumline might actually be bigger for Irish weekend

PPS video clips

Edited by BeinGreen

GREAT DAY HAD BY ALL.

I thought somebody would comment about Billy Kauffman or Dale Adair being in there

PPS video clips

Great shots Walt!!!!!!!! Drumline was Kickin!!!!!!Big shout out to da Crossmen Alumni in the line.......bout time y'all thro down again...let's make a habit outta this!!!

MY OH MY!!! What a fantastic weekend from start to finish! Elks in Wildwood will never get old.....too bad we have to "break away" from da party to march!! I've marched by Kelly's for many, many years, but this time was extra special. My Romance never sounded better! It is extremely special to share the street with all of my fellow Reilly Raiders, but I never forget all of the friends I have made in other corps (& those that have passed on to the Elks parade in the sky) that are experiencing the same thrill as me. I wish there was more time down there to see all those I have known for years & years...How bout a big shout out to my pop who marched again!! It was great to share the street once more wit da guy who brought me up in such a wonderful activity( with a cast of characters like Mark Bus, Pat Scirrotto, Jimmo,...the list goes on & on.....As do many others in corps know, I am truly blessed to be able to share this great drum corps experience with Cheryl (my wife & love of my life) as she also marches and truly understands how passionate I am about my drum corps life!!!! You are the best!!! Yo Cossetti.....I was playin right for ya BIG GUY ...hoped you enjoyed!!!!

Blessed Sacrament: thanks soooo much for coming to our hotel & giving us a boatload of memories to savor till next Elks!!! The lead line was FANTASTIC!!!! What a concert!!!! What a corps!!!

Till We meet again........see ya at "the Tournament".......

Edited by CROSSMENCORPS30

Thanks Kev.......it was great seeing you, Cheryl, the Hoove, Uncle Louie and the zillion and a half old friends from Reilly and elsewhere 'on the street'........especially since all I had to do is stand there, Yuengling Lager in hand, and enjoy with all my extended Blue Rock family........

Jimbalaya

Great shots Walt!!!!!!!! Drumline was Kickin!!!!!!Big shout out to da Crossmen Alumni in the line.......bout time y'all thro down again...let's make a habit outta this!!!

MY OH MY!!! What a fantastic weekend from start to finish! Elks in Wildwood will never get old.....too bad we have to "break away" from da party to march!! I've marched by Kelly's for many, many years, but this time was extra special. My Romance never sounded better! It is extremely special to share the street with all of my fellow Reilly Raiders, but I never forget all of the friends I have made in other corps (& those that have passed on to the Elks parade in the sky) that are experiencing the same thrill as me. I wish there was more time down there to see all those I have known for years & years...How bout a big shout out to my pop who marched again!! It was great to share the street once more wit da guy who brought me up in such a wonderful activity( with a cast of characters like Mark Bus, Pat Scirrotto, Jimmo,...the list goes on & on.....As do many others in corps know, I am truly blessed to be able to share this great drum corps experience with Cheryl (my wife & love of my life) as she also marches and truly understands how passionate I am about my drum corps life!!!! You are the best!!! Yo Cossetti.....I was playin right for ya BIG GUY ...hoped you enjoyed!!!!

Blessed Sacrament: thanks soooo much for coming to our hotel & giving us a boatload of memories to savor till next Elks!!! The lead line was FANTASTIC!!!! What a concert!!!! What a corps!!!

Till We meet again........see ya at "the Tournament".......

Edited by Jimbalaya

PPS video clips

How old is Bill Kauffman? He was our drum instructor early 60's at Ridley Park Rangers. Jay Brown and I both marched Norristown Invaders 1950's and Reilly 1964. Dale Adair and I both served on Crossmen board of directors for several years. Man, that picture has me feeling old. Back to lurking.

How old is Bill Kauffman? He was our drum instructor early 60's at Ridley Park Rangers. Jay Brown and I both marched Norristown Invaders 1950's and Reilly 1964. Dale Adair and I both served on Crossmen board of directors for several years. Man, that picture has me feeling old. Back to lurking.

no, just the opposite

if Jay and Billy are still marching that just proves you arent that old after all!

now stop looking for reasons to be old and get in the game! do one parade.

or are you in already? your profile doesnt say.