Talent Pool--members who got cut.

So are you saying that the Div II/III corps need to take it easy and have a relaxed environment? I swear, if I made a Div II/III corps, and they took it easy on me, I'd quit. I don't want to march Drum Corps so that I can learn some music, take it easy, and then play in some shows. I want to get GOOD. I want to become great so that I can make a better DCI or WGI line. If that means beating the crap out of me all summer, so be it.

I'm not suggesting "they take it easy on you" and you are more likely one of the unusual ones (as was I ) I always wore my jacket at rehearsal even touring. Like to get beat up. NOT WHAT I'M SAYING what i am saying is there is a way to get the drum corps experience AND LIKE IT ,still do 15-20 shows and not have it be cost prohibitive OR SO MUCH work that we have a high turn over ratio. NO OFFENSE BUT I'VE BEEN AROUND SINCE BEFORE DCI WAS DCI and I know for a fact that MUCH of what WE in the activity think of as "CONSTRUCTIVE REHEARSAL" IS really WASTED TIME. Because we as staffs don't have it all worked out in a proper time management sort of fashion .The high school band I work with doesn't even do a camp anymore we simply go right into the tues -thurs,sat schedule and still get everyhing done and have suffered no ill effect from "less rehearsal time" we're simply better prepared for rehearsal and so they move quicker ,are more effective ,and get just as much done before our first contest as we did when we had a wks camp of 9 to 9 's before school started. We have become so stuck in the "this is how it must be done mode" that we just don't try any other way.

How do I know this can work? one my high schools do it AND the corps Im with didn't even start work on the contest show until mid April I'll let you know who that is after the season. THEN with the results in Pasadena ,you can tell me if it can work or not. We will be in the top 3. of div III

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do I know this can work? one my high schools do it AND the corps Im with didn't even start work on the contest show until mid April I'll let you know who that is after the season. THEN with the results in Pasadena ,you can tell me if it can work or not. We will be in the top 3. of div III

Everybody knows you're with Fever.

I'm not suggesting "they take it easy on you" and you are more likely one of the unusual ones (as was I ) I always wore my jacket at rehearsal even touring. Like to get beat up. NOT WHAT I'M SAYING what i am saying is there is a way to get the drum corps experience AND LIKE IT ,still do 15-20 shows and not have it be cost prohibitive OR SO MUCH work that we have a high turn over ratio. NO OFFENSE BUT I'VE BEEN AROUND SINCE BEFORE DCI WAS DCI and I know for a fact that MUCH of what WE in the activity think of as "CONSTRUCTIVE REHEARSAL" IS really WASTED TIME. Because we as staffs don't have it all worked out in a proper time management sort of fashion .The high school band I work with doesn't even do a camp anymore we simply go right into the tues -thurs,sat schedule and still get everyhing done and have suffered no ill effect from "less rehearsal time" we're simply better prepared for rehearsal and so they move quicker ,are more effective ,and get just as much done before our first contest as we did when we had a wks camp of 9 to 9 's before school started. We have become so stuck in the "this is how it must be done mode" that we just don't try any other way.

I honestly couldn't agree with you more.

In regards to the "take it easy" mode... I don't know if I would word it that way, but yeah, 2/3 corps should be more local focused, compete at weekend shows during "first tour" and hit the road on "second tour". There are some corps working at D1 status, so I guess I can understand the full tour deal, but most aren't.

But whatever it may be, kids need to know that drum corps IS drum corps, no matter who you decide to march with, so there's no shame in marching a lower division corps.

Ok, with the power of the world wide web and the incredible new DCI website, how about a link for those who would like to audition for a corps. Maybe type in a zip code and all corps within a few states show up on an interactive map. Not just Div. 1 but all divisions. Then maybe options to pick corps you maybe interested in. A google earth kind of thing. Maybe corps could advertise openings there?

I don't believe that sending the info for the kids that are cut is the answer. In fact it does violate their privacy.

I think the new DCI website has improved access to Div. 2 and 3. There is a link on the home page now. It wasn't easy to find before.

I really believe that some kids (not all) are not aware that there are DIV. 2 & 3 corps. Some of the larger shows (i.e. DCI East) did not have anyone but Div 1 there. The reason was good, 25 corps (Div. 1) over 2 days makes a full venue. So you go to the show and still don't know about other divisions. Even if the Div 2 & 3 could exhibition. play the national anthem or play while the scores are calculated it would give them more exposure. I understand that this happening now with the regional corps.

Fact is:

There will always be kids that will only try out for Div. I.

There will always be kids from Div 2 and 3 that will try out for Div 1. Some will make it and some won't.

There will always be kids who will only march Div 2 and 3.

Some kids once cut will never try again.

I think the key to it is that Div 2 &3 corps should not be portrayed as lesser quality than Div. 1, they are different. Div 1 is not varsity and Div 2 &3 are not the JV. It's more like a large regional school team competing with a small school team. The regional school pulls talent from a larger population. Doesn't mean that the smaller doesn't have kids with the same talent.

What can DCI do? Keep providing the information. Advertise, advertise, advertise. Here is an idea. Publish the contact information for local corps in the programs along with the DCI web address. You know like ...thinking of marching next summer, go to DCI.org or other listed websites.

Just me 2 cents.

Everybody knows you're with Fever.

Actually , my concerns are the state of the activity. I speak for myself ,affiliations are secondary. If there are any Div III corps who wouldn't like to see this problem resolved ,let me know.

Edited by MARK74

You were speaking about your corps in an unprofessional manner. But whatever, it's not my concern.

WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HOW? NOT TRYING TO BE SARCASTIC OR CONFRONTATIONAL. THE LAST THING I WANT IS FOR THIS TO EFFECT THE WAY THE CORPS IS PERCEIVED,or me for that matter. You can certainly give me a call. And for the record I'm not talking about THE CURRENT STAFF.

For that matter if anyone has been following this conversation since I joined in and thinks that I've been somehow disrespectful of the organization I'm involved with or drum corps in general . I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW as that has certainly NOT been the intent. And now that we have been driven completely off track by those who would rather "make issues" than discuss REAL ones , can we get back to the talent pool thing?

Edited by MARK74