Talent Pool--members who got cut.

Giving a prospective member's info away to another corps would be a rather shady thing to do in my opinion. Especially when we are dealing with minors. Kind of like a salesmen giving away someone's info who didn't qualify for their loan offer. You just can't do that. If I want to buy a different product, I'll do that on my own. Likewise, if a kid wants to find another corps to march with, they can do it on their own.

Now, one exception might be if a staff member from said "big corps" works with a "smaller corps" and wants to intercept the "cut list" - at the "cut member's consent" for their "small corps" - that would be different. Or, if a smaller corps' staff wants to sit in on a "big corps" audition and make offers to cut members on a one on one basis at the consent of the "larger corps" administration and staff. I've heard of that type of thing happening before. But if you are just talking about "forwarding info" to another corps who may want it, I don't think that's right and would likely be against standards of "privacy".

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving a prospective member's info away to another corps would be a rather shady thing to do in my opinion. Especially when we are dealing with minors. Kind of like a salesmen giving away someone's info who didn't qualify for their loan offer. You just can't do that. If I want to buy a different product, I'll do that on my own. Likewise, if a kid wants to find another corps to march with, they can do it on their own.

Now, one exception might be if a staff member from said "big corps" works with a "smaller corps" and wants to intercept the "cut list" - at the "cut member's consent" for their "small corps" - that would be different. Or, if a smaller corps' staff wants to sit in on a "big corps" audition and make offers to cut members on a one on one basis at the consent of the "larger corps" administration and staff. I've heard of that type of thing happening before. But if you are just talking about "forwarding info" to another corps who may want it, I don't think that's right and would likely be against standards of "privacy".

OH , GEE I DON'T KNOW LET'S ASK CADETS AND CROSSMEN HOW ALL THAT WORKS. ONE WAY TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM WOULD BE TO GET A SIGNED FORM GIVING THE CORPS PERMISSION TO HELP PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS FIND A PLACE TO PERFORM IF THEY DON'T MAKE THE CUT.

Edited by MARK74

OH , GEE I DON'T KNOW LET'S ASK CADETS AND CROSSMEN HOW ALL THAT WORKS. ONE WAY TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM WOULD BE TO GET A SIGNED FORM GIVING THE CORPS PERMISSION TO HELP PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS FIND A PLACE TO PERFORM IF THEY DON'T MAKE THE CUT.

Edited by MARK74

The Cadets and The Crossmen are part of the same parent organization, YEA. There's no element of impropriety or invasion of privacy involved since the cut lists stay in-house.

You're also operating under the mistaken belief that corps have the extra time to sit around and hold a person's hand and help them find a corps to march in. They don't. Once they find members, their focus is on teaching the show and fine-tuning it. Not playing tour guides to the wonderful world of drum corps. In the age of the Internet, there are more than enough resources to find a corps to march in.

The Cadets and The Crossmen are part of the same parent organization, YEA. There's no element of impropriety or invasion of privacy involved since the cut lists stay in-house.

You're also operating under the mistaken belief that corps have the extra time to sit around and hold a person's hand and help them find a corps to march in. They don't. Once they find members, their focus is on teaching the show and fine-tuning it. Not playing tour guides to the wonderful world of drum corps. In the age of the Internet, there are more than enough resources to find a corps to march in.

I'M JUST SAYING THAT THE TIME FOR BEING SELF SERVING IS OVER !! NOBODY IS ASKING FOR A HAND HOLDING . A word of encouragement to go to THIS corps OR THAT so that prospective members can hone their skills and "try again next year. Is NOT a hand holding. AGAIN 300 MILLION PEOPLE IN THE COUNTRY AT LEAST 20 MILLION OF WHICH ARE IN THE AGE GROUP AND THE BEST THE ACTIVITY CAN DO IS LESS THAN 6,000 WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

Although this idea has been stated, there are several ways in which smaller corps can help themselves and can even have a positive long road approach for the larger corps.

The smaller corps need to align themselves with the larger corps in their area, share information, share purchasing, share members. Similar to the YEA idea, only maybe not as formal. Share dialogue between the staffs. If a larger corps who has 30+ people try out for 1 or 2 spots, it would be in their best interest to recommend (with permission) that person to a smaller corps with which they have a dialogue. Similar teaching/style etc.... there will be those that will only march with a particular corps, others who fear getting stuck with a smaller corps, some who welcome the idea. this open dialogue allows the staffs of larger corps to reccomend a program that if that person chooses to participate in, in the future, should they wish to audition for the larger corps again, they will have an advantage, in so much as they have improved, have a good understanding of what can be expected of them etc.... that comes from similar styles, teaching methods etc... that does not mean everything to be the same, BUT similar. In order for Drum Corps to survive in the form it has become, members need to be trained, not all will be able to handle the demands of a national tour, even if they are exceptional players/marchers sometimes tha lack of experience is what can lead a member toward "burnout". Also we need to realize not every Div. II/III corps wishes to become Div. I Some are happy to be smaller, financing, available staff, equipment, geographic location are just some factors that corps may look at beyond membership in directing their organizations in a particular direction in regards to Division.

Basically, open dialogue, respect for corps of smaller size/division, auditionees permission, sharing of information and follow up would likely produce some extremely positive results for everyone. I have many other ideas and comments, but don't want to bore everyone.

I'M JUST SAYING THAT THE TIME FOR BEING SELF SERVING IS OVER !! NOBODY IS ASKING FOR A HAND HOLDING . A word of encouragement to go to THIS corps OR THAT so that prospective members can hone their skills and "try again next year. Is NOT a hand holding. AGAIN 300 MILLION PEOPLE IN THE COUNTRY AT LEAST 20 MILLION OF WHICH ARE IN THE AGE GROUP AND THE BEST THE ACTIVITY CAN DO IS LESS THAN 6,000 WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

What's wrong with the picture is the fact that people aren't doing what they need to do in order to march drum corps. Then you have to look at the fact that a good number of kids don't want to march "drum corps", they want to march Cadets or Devils or any other top corps. So telling them about other corps will be wasted energy, they'll simply wait until next year and try out for the same corps.

Also, and this one nearly pisses me off every time I hear it: I had a student I was instructing tell me how much he loved drum corps and went to as many shows as he could and even followed it on the internet forums. And in the same breath told me he didn't know there was such a thing as D2/3 corps.

Now either he is an outright liar, or he is the perfect example of why Georgia ranks near the bottom in most standardized testing. But my point is this: Most auditioners (and drum corps fans) know there are three divisions in drum corps. They simply choose to ignore them when they make their choices as to where they want to march. That's not drum corps' fault and no website or large amount of coaxing is going to change that fact. You know how I know? Easy. With all the females marching drum corps today, why do the Bandettes STILL have problems finding 30 of them to field a corps?

People go where they want to go. If they do go march elsewhere after getting cut, then that was already in their minds to do so.

Edited by EKBari

I Think I get it, 30yrs ago ,or so when the smaller corps said HEY lets split into smaller divisions so we don't have to compete with the full sized corps and be punished show after show for our size, we really screwed ourselves.

How else could you explain otherwise ,that some of the Div I corps out there who are truely Div I in size but quite probably not as proficient as some Div II corps. Nothing against these folks but bottom line is the reason they survive year after year is because they are Div I. Cut members from one div I corps will go to another div I corps FIRST. Nobody can telll me otherwise /I've been around since before DCI was born and I've heard the rationale far to often

"At least I'll be Div I and I'll get to see the BIG GUYS all summer long,and go to finals,even if it's as a spectator."

NOBODY EVEN THINKS very often about such corps as Spartans ,Jersey Surf, East Coast Jazz( hope to see them back soon), and others who have really been Div I QUALITY ,just not Div I sized. Look at the last few years ,oh heck even 10 and look at what Div I corps came from Div II ,FOR THAT MATTER Div III TO Div II AS WELL.

Div II and III HAVE A REAL NICHE ,we are supposed to be a place to come and be educated on your insrument and learn what the activity of drum corps has to offer. Some will take that education WITH them to a Div I corps . SOME will understand and stay,totally happy and enjoy drum corps in Div II and III .Sadly those who leave to Div I often forget where they were given their first opportunity and henceforth count themselves as SOMEBODY ELSES ALUMNI ,only adding to the difficulty financially.And Finally quite frankly the idea of "teaming up informally with a Div I corps in your area is not a bad one,unless of course your "local" div I corps ALREADY HAS a Div II corps of its own.

sure are a lot of quotation marks you got there....