Does Spirit Have a Chance?

I'm a little worried about Spirit! As every corps continues to improve Spirit goes a little bit at a time. I have a friend marching there and I seriously don't know if they are going to make finals this year.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am NOT speaking for SPIRIT from JSU. I am not speaking for the university.

However, regarding the above speculation <**> .

JSU has the finest marching band program in the south (my opinion) and I went to another big SEC school

in the state. The staff members involved in SPIRIT are some of the most qualified you will find in the activity.

Former Blue Devils soloists, former BLAST! members, Directors of Band programs from all over the country.

Yes, I have a kid in SPIRIT, but I have followed drum corps since the late 70's (yes I'm a geezer).

You want to throw names around like Wayne Downey and G. Hopkins. Think they get an extra point here or there

because of their name? Maybe. Personally, if a certain trumpet player is good enough to tour with Maynard

Ferguson and Ray Charles, I would never question his qualifications. I would be proud to have him teach my kid.

Bottom line...the kids love the staff. They kids learn a lot. They work their butts off. They put out a quality show.

Have either of you guys even seen their show live this year?

You guys kill me.

Cause they moved out of Atlanta...lol ok maybe not but I still think they did better while they were in Atlanta and they had a better future there.

Personally, if a certain trumpet player is good enough to tour with Maynard

Ferguson and Ray Charles, I would never question his qualifications.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment behind your general comments, but being a world class performer does not always mean that one can TEACH. Just a thought...

Cause they moved out of Atlanta...lol ok maybe not but I still think they did better while they were in Atlanta and they had a better future there.

They had little to NO future there. Sometimes, when opportunities come along that offer stability for your organization, even if it's in another state than where you originally called home, the prudent thing to do is TAKE IT.

At this point, it looks to me like it is shaping up to be one of the most competative years ever for like 10th - 15th place.

Being a world class performer that has the utmost respect of the kids doesn't hurt.

Throw in the fact that you are a college professor who spends the rest of your time

TEACHING this age kids trumpet and jazz and what more do you want?

At this point, it looks to me like it is shaping up to be one of the most competative years ever for like 10th - 15th place.

Some VERY good corps are going to be left out of Saturday night. Like last year. Quality up and down the line-up. Good for DCI.

I am NOT speaking for SPIRIT from JSU. I am not speaking for the university.

However, regarding the above speculation <**> .

JSU has the finest marching band program in the south (my opinion) and I went to another big SEC school

in the state. The staff members involved in SPIRIT are some of the most qualified you will find in the activity.

Former Blue Devils soloists, former BLAST! members, Directors of Band programs from all over the country.

Yes, I have a kid in SPIRIT, but I have followed drum corps since the late 70's (yes I'm a geezer).

You want to throw names around like Wayne Downey and G. Hopkins. Think they get an extra point here or there

because of their name? Maybe. Personally, if a certain trumpet player is good enough to tour with Maynard

Ferguson and Ray Charles, I would never question his qualifications. I would be proud to have him teach my kid.

Bottom line...the kids love the staff. They kids learn a lot. They work their butts off. They put out a quality show.

Have either of you guys even seen their show live this year?

You guys kill me.

I'm sure no one meant any disrespect.

Being a world class performer that has the utmost respect of the kids doesn't hurt.

Throw in the fact that you are a college professor who spends the rest of your time

TEACHING this age kids trumpet and jazz and what more do you want?

Relax, I don't know the guy, never met him, was just saying that one doesn't always equate with the other. A general comment.