Clovis Review

I arrived as BDB was on the field, had every intention of seeing SCVC and BDB (sorry folks, I'll see you tonight at Stanford).

BDB sounded good and looked good from my vantge (which was NOT good).

I sat just off the 50 about halfway up the stadium, so maybe 15th row or so. I tried to look at the entire package of each corps, although I tend to get drawn to whoever is "asking to be looked at," that is the section, or individuals that are really selling it. I am intentionally trying to write more about corps other than SCV, BD, or Bluecoats because they tend to get a lot of attention on the forums.

The first corps I saw was the Mandarins. All in all, enjoyable, nothing stood out or grabbed me. The show seems to be the run-of-the-mill opener, production, ballad, drum solo, closer with a different color associated with each piece. Seen that theme a million times, it works, but isn't the most original concept. Seems to me with a corps that appears to still be smaller than their competition (although bigger than past seasons) they need to come up with stronger conceptual ideas and "story lines" since they are not going to outplay, out spin or out march anyone. Highlight for me was the second production, a latin piece. The piece starts off very smooth musically (with a guard uniform change from purple vests in Festive Overture to smaller red vests, sabres, and great red flags) and picks up tempo and energy with a percussion break and goes strong to the end. I also really liked a grooving drum solo, a Beethoven piece with a 12/8 Latin rhythm underlying the entire way. Awesome tenor break!!! Would still like to hear the horn line put out a bit more sound at impact moments and you can tell they were losing steam the last minute or so of their show, although I realize the tempo is FAST at the end. Finalist corps, no. Semifinalist corps, might be a stretch, probably 17-19 range again for these guys.

Troopers were next. Similar to the Mandarins, enjoyable show, but nothing really grabbed me and made me feel compelled to watch more. The conceptual idea is interesting in "Western Side Story, a mix of "West Side Story" and some Americana symphonic music (like "Billy the Kid" drum solo). But where does the concept make a connection after the music? The guard is wearing mustard gold Indian costumes but I didn't notice them, they didn't reach out to me and make me want to look at them. Was there a story line, was there a connection to the theme being portrayed by the guard? I don't know. I will get a better chance to look at this again tonight, but seems to me that an audience member shouldn't have to put the show under a microscope to find the theme (like looking at a "Where's Waldo" book). The brass sound was generally rich and warm, a good sound, seemed much more mature than Mandarins, but they too started loosing steam the last 30 seconds of their show. I know with the "less experienced corps" (for lack of a better term) that this happens more at the beginning of the year as the members are still learning how to properly pace their output and are working to build stamina. The percussion section seemed solid, although there were some pit moments in the opening minutes of the show where they were using very articulate mallets (unforgiving) and the lack of rhythmic cohesion was very noticeable (yes, I'm a percussionist). Finalist, no. Semifinalst, very posibble. I'd say 16-18 for these guys.

The next corps was Vanguard. I have heard a lot of hype from friends this year about how enjoyable this show is, and they were correct! The show was rich and mature sounding musically. The percussion writing was very well done, per usual with SCV. This really took me back to the Garfield 87 show, made me feel like I was a kid watching that all over again (this is a good thing SCV). BUT.... that said, there was something lacking too. The show (in contrast to BD and Bluecoats) seems very simple, doesn't have the layers or depth. It is very much on the surface, which can be nice, but just doesn't have that impression of watching something spectacular. I know it is early on and I expect this show to improve and for Vanguard to push to the end as they always do. The big bug-a-boo for me was that I didn't notice the guard, for the most part. Last year the guard drew me in and I found myself watching them with great interest. Considering their show is about Martha Graham, they need to continue to work on getting the guard in the forefront, make them more noticeable. Don't get me wrong, they might be the best guard out there, I really don't know much about guard, but I do know that the show was over and I was saying, "oh wait, where was the guard?" Once again, as with Troopers, I think that I will watch this more closely tonight. I must also comment that the last chord of the company front at the end of simple gifts portion of the show must have lasted 20 seconds! It was great! hahaha I'm going to go out on a limb here (sarcasm) and say that they are going to be top 7, but not top 3. 4-7 place for these guys.

Blue Knights were next. I like the new uniforms (I didn't see them last year, so they may be one year old, I don't know). Once again, Blue Knights guard is in all white. Is it just me, or do they always go out in all white? What stood out to me with this show was the percussion section. They have some nice moments, still seeking consistency though. Again, early season these things happen, but they need to finish phrases better to compete with the lines in the next echelon. The brass sound was big and strong, and the show was not as "out there" as some of their past shows have been. I came close to drifting in terms of interest, but for the most part, this show did keep me interested, which hasn't always been the case with BK. (Sorry) I did notice a lot of awkward transitions for the guard. This happened a few times with the guard staged up front. Each time I was completely distracted by a random guard person marching (without any work or body movement) through other members who were doing work. Seems like something a design team shouldn't have at this level. Perhaps the work is incomplete, but give them SOMETHING to do; look up at the audience, do some simple dance move, but not MARCH TO SPOT. :) The horn line did some nice movement work in the middle productions especially. I am not a fan of their trademark knee bend step off, but if you like it, boy you'll love the show. Again, I find it to be visually distracting. Finalist corps? Hard to tell, they are in that group that will probably be the most interesting battle (once again) other than the top spot. I'm guessing 11-15 for BK.

Bluecoats were next. The few people in the stands that knew the Bluuuu yell scared everyone else. There were a LOT of people around me who didn't understand why they were being booed. I don't say anything, I just sit there and laugh at people's reactions. :) Fun show!!!! The opening piece is a Mingus tune (I believe). An aggressive piece with a lot of cool rhythms and dissonant harmonies. I know BD did it in mid 90's (95 or 96?). The horn line is strong! The percussion is REALLY good. Definitely the best of the night thus far, right on par with BD's percussion section. I always LOVE their pit and once again, I wasn't disappointed with that aspect. I like how they used the synth sounds to really help solidify the low-end of their ensemble sound. There were also some neat wind effects coming out of the ballad as the guard took off the drum line jackets revealing under armor type shirts that look like a blue sky with white clouds. During the next piece the horn line moved to the front curtains and also removed their jackets and shakos leaving the whole corps hatless and wearing the "blue sky" shirts. This is the point where the show really started rocking to me. The energy from here to the end was awesome, the crowd was totally into what they were hearing and seeing. About 45 seconds before the end of the show the energy is simply amazing, then there seems to be a sort of tag to the end where they lose some of that momentum and intensity which is probably what's keeping that crowd from jumping to their feet. Get that ending to match the intensity of the previous section and the audience with be on their feet. I feel that Bluecoats are probably going to be with SCV most of the year, so I'm guessing 4-7 finish.

Blue Devils were last. I want to start by saying that I haven't liked the Blue Devils shows in quite a while. They are always a demonstration of technical excellence, with not much connection emotionally. This year, I REALLY like the show. I don't care what people are saying about the chairs, they use them brilliantly to highlight different members of the guard, the horn line, and the percussion, creating different visual layers that gives them something the others don't have. Still a couple minor problems with the chair placements once they start moving them, but only noticed it twice. I loved the snare feature with every other person on a chair to give a high/low//high/low visual effect. The color guard REALLY grabbed me, how could they not? They are in bright yellow, spend much of their time in, on, or around the chairs, and are spectacular performers. The dance work on the chairs at the beginning is really nice. The drum line is really quite good, only one major "ewww" moment with a rough extended roll passage. They too (as well as Bluecaots) really use the synth sounds well to enhance the ensemble sound, particularly the low end. Musically, the whole opening is smooth and beautiful. I am so glad they are over the idea that playing random stabs for 45 seconds in row is somehow cool. The question that does come to mind is the connection to the show theme of 1930. A lot of the music is more contemporary sounding. Is there a story line the guard is acting out? When I think of the 30's the first thing that comes to mind is the Great Depression. Obviously this isn't a show about the Great Depression. Musically, there are some connections with moments of Gershwin's I Got Rhythm as well as some other big band pieces. Is that the connection, some musical references? So I'm interested to see what they can do to sell the thematic elements of their show. They are good enough that they might not need to do anything other than out march, out spin, and play the other top corps. There really isn't any connectable visual element to 1930, unless that was the year folding chairs were invented. :)

Last comment. The crowd last night was very passive. Most corps were trooping the stands to a few scattered ovations and a lot of people talking and ignoring the members trooping the stands. Please folks, clap for the members as they come off the field. Let's have some class and show our appreciation. Don't be afraid to clap during and after the shows! The corps members respond to crowd energy. The more we're into what they are doing, the more energy they give in their performances.... really.

First off, great review. I agree with pretty much everything you said. I snipped it up a bit

just to get to the quotes that I wanted to comment on (hope thats ok...)

I sat just off the 50 about halfway up the stadium, so maybe 15th row or so.

I sat on the 40, about 15th row up...

Mandarins - Finalist corps, no. Semifinalist corps, might be a stretch, probably 17-19 range again for these guys.

I dunno...nothing special from the mandarins...I keep waiting for that breakout year, and unfortunately I feel they may have peaked back in '06? I'm guessing they just miss the semi's.

The next corps was Vanguard.

The big bug-a-boo for me was that I didn't notice the guard, for the most part. Last year the guard drew me in and I found myself watching them with great interest.

YES! EXACTLY!! The guard was so awesome last year and this year...although good...are kind of an afterthought?

BD's guard on the other hand is AMAZING...did you check out the sustained handstands on the chairs?

I'm going to go out on a limb here (sarcasm) and say that they are going to be top 7, but not top 3. 4-7 place for these guys.

I'm thinking 6 or 7.

Bluecoats were next. I feel that Bluecoats are probably going to be with SCV most of the year, so I'm guessing 4-7 finish.

ok, ok...I'm crazy...but I can really see a 5th (maybe 6th) for this group. A really special corps this year.

Blue Devils were last. The question that does come to mind is the connection to the show theme of 1930. A lot of the music is more contemporary sounding. Is there a story line the guard is acting out?

Not much of a story, but I do get that "vaudville"(sp) feeling. And the execution is off the charts!

I was very skeptical of the chairs a couple of weeks back, but now I love em...

BD's show is an assault on the senses. It grabs you up front and leaves you exhausted by the end.

And they make it look so dang easy!

Last comment. The crowd last night was very passive.

Yeah...I think the heat got the best of everybody. Polite applause mostly. I think tonight at Stanford is going to

be different. Bigger (and most likely a more knowledgeable) crowd.

See you there!

Cali

Nice review over all... just a thought, BK is off to their strongest start score wise in their history.... The Troopers and Academy scores right now are in the 11-15 range. Not saying that it couldn't happen but I bet BK will be competing 6-10th come finals time!

Wes P