Kalamazoo Review

I wasn't able to go to the show, but I did get to watch the videos. All of this is based on initial reaction - I went and wrote all of these immediately after watching each corps. So, without further ado:

Colt Cadets - I didn't hear what the title of the show was, but it didn't matter, because I was able to recognize most of the music. The show was very nice - lots of really good soloists. I don't normally watch Open Class that much, but I definitely liked what I saw of Colt Cadets. Bravo!

Legends - Definitely cleaner than Colt Cadets, but I didn't recognize any of the music. I had a hard time connecting to it. Crowd was very receptive of them (home show - duh). I liked it, and I get the feeling I would have liked it more if I had recognized the music.

Teal Sound - I was a bit wary of the guitars based on what I had heard, but I actually enjoyed this show. LOVE how the corps enters the field in the pre-show. Very cool! Hornline has a nice, big, aggressive sound. They've managed to balance their electronics well. The guitar was featured only when it was supposed to be featured...and when it was, man! That guy plays really well! Sure, he may be playing an instrument that some people don't want in this activity, but there's no denying talent. I can respect that. Great job, Teal Sound. You have a very exciting and fun show. I think Semifinals is absolutely within your grasp.

Spirit - Okay, homer time. They were great! The last time I saw them was the Video On Demand from Fort Mill, SC. They have improved so much since then! I like all the choreography they've added into the drill. The drill itself is a lot cleaner, too. I saw a lot more forms locking in than last time. The hornline is putting out a lot of sound considering all the holes they have. The show concept is easy to get and fun - though I really could do without the voiceovers...that is, unless they can balance them so it blends in with the percussion hits more...then, I may not mind it as much. Aside from that, Spirit performed wonderfully tonight. I don't know if this could make Finals - there are simply too many good corps this year - but I can already tell that they will definitely entertain and attract more fans this year - nothing wrong with that! Keep it up, Spirit!

Crossmen – This was my first viewing of the entire show. I had originally heard that they were very dirty and boring. After finally seeing it, I can most definitely say that I disagree with those thoughts. It's still dirty, but not at the levels that I was expecting. Also, it definitely managed to groove in quite a few places. I'm not familiar with Pat Metheny, but I was definitely digging the music. Hornline had lots of nice moments, especially in the ballad. Overall, I enjoy this Crossmen show way more than any of their shows from the past few years. Great job, and I look forward to seeing how you guys place in the 11-17 range. Great job!

Madison – Very nice job. I'm really liking the music a LOT. The soloists are all fantastic and the music is arranged very well. Visually, for some reason, this runthrough looked dirtier compared to previous runs. I saw a lot more forms that weren't locking in that did in other videos. Maybe the guys just had an off night? I don't know. Either way, it doesn't really detract from the fact that Madison has a great show on their hands this year. I'm still not completely convinced that it's a sure lock for Finals, but they're definitely fighting to get in. Bravo, Scouts.

Blue Stars – These past few years, I haven't really liked any of the Blue Stars' shows. I don't know why – they just didn't click with me. I think this show may be the exception. I like the music, and I'm especially digging the mello parts. One thing I like a lot about this show is the uniform. The gray pants were almost completely lost in the field, which made the entire hornline and drumline look like floating white tops. It was pretty cool, and it made the forms easier to read…however, it also made it MUCH easier to tell when forms weren't clean. The reason it's worked for the Cavaliers is because they execute on a higher level. If the Blue Stars want to have that same effect, they have to start executing at a higher level than they're already at. Aside from that, this is definitely a good, aggressive, and fairly entertaining show. Considering I haven't really liked any of their past offerings, I'd consider that a compliment!

Phantom Regiment – Beautiful! That's the only word I can really use to describe this. Absolutely beautiful show. By the way, for anybody wondering, I definitely counted 12 contras, so it looks like they're all in! Man, this show is really great. Easily one of my top favorites of the season now. The hornline sounds awesome…I'm not a drum guy, but I REALLY liked how the battery sounded. That soloist – man oh man! What a great sound! This is a terrific show. Really, really terrific. I don't even care how it does – I just want to listen to it over and over again!

Boston Crusaders – Perhaps my expectations for this show were too high. Unfortunately, I don't like it. Yes, they're performing incredibly well – the hornline and drumline are very powerful – but the arrangements just kill it for me. I'm talking about the arrangements of Shostakovich 10 and Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini." The Shostakovich arrangement could have been so much more, and the Rachmaninoff arrangement was taken far too fast for my tastes. I just did not like the arrangements, and because of that, I just don't like the show very much. I'll still root for Boston since I have friends marching there, and of course I want them to place well, but there are definitely other shows I like much better.

Bluecoats – Okay, I totally like this show, even with all the electronics. The two mic'd solos weren't just mic'd for the sake of being loud – they were actually used, in my opinion, rather tastefully. I am REALLY digging that baritone solo in Asphalt Cocktail. Speaking of which – I am normally not a fan of John Mackey's music…but I would absolutely say that his music (especially this piece) works much better in a drum corps setting than it does in a wind ensemble setting. Also, that tuba feature in the other piece was killer. This is a great show – really clean, really exciting, really fun to listen to and watch. Championship caliber? I don't know. Could it medal? …We'll see!

Cavaliers – One of my other favorite shows this season. The hornline is louder (FINALLY!), the corps is much more aggressive, and this show is just FUN! I even noticed how clean the colorguard is – something that, as a brass guy, I don't normally notice. That middle jazz section with the rifle feature – man, I think that's gonna be one of the most talked-about moments of the entire season. It's exciting, it doesn't ever let go until the very end…it's even kind of funny! The ballad and ending felt just a little flat, though. I feel like they can be doing more there, though I'm sure they'll be changing some of it up fairly soon. Still, this is absolutely one of my favorite shows. Great job, Cavies!

Carolina Crown – Man, I love the music selections, the hornline sounds fantastic, it's a very well put together show…but something did not feel right about tonight's performance. My friend in the hornline told me that they've been putting lots of changes and additions to the drill and choreography into the show, and maybe they're still trying to get that clean. Aside from that, the mood of this performance felt off. The crowd could tell, too. I want Crown to do really, really well this season…but as for tonight, I'm sorry, but I just don't see them taking the top spot. I really don't want to say that, but unfortunately they're giving me a reason to. And #### that train!

Here's how I would have placed the corps:

World Class

1. Bluecoats

2. Carolina Crown

3. Phantom Regiment

4. Cavaliers

5. Boston Crusaders

6. Blue Stars

7. Madison Scouts

8. Spirit

9. Crossmen

10. Teal Sound

Open Class

1. Legends

2. Colt Cadets

Edited by BugleBand

great review- thanks!

Here's how I would have placed the corps:

World Class

1. Bluecoats

2. Carolina Crown

3. Phantom Regiment

4. Cavaliers

5. Boston Crusaders

6. Blue Stars

7. Madison Scouts

8. Spirit

9. Crossmen

10. Teal Sound

Open Class

1. Legends

2. Colt Cadets

thats what i called before scores were announced

I agree that Crown did not have a great show, and I was suprised the Cavaliers didn't win. The top 3 were really close and phantom would have scored closer to the top if they didn't have such a rough draw.

Thanks for your review.