Drum Corps and the Kennedy Funeral, Nov. 24, 1963

I recently came across this historical tid bit pertaining to drum corps and the JFK funeral on Nov. 24, 1963:

"Accompanying the casket as it moved on a caisson from the White House to the Capitol on Sunday was a joint service drum corps. In the eighteen-man corps were members of The USAF Band's Drum and Bugle Corps, Sergeants Harold Ludwig and Rodney Goodheart, and Airmen Bill Mojica and Jim Dinkins. To this day the sound of their drums playing the somber muffled beat is still etched in many memories."

I assume the Rodney Goodheart playing in the JFK funeral procession was also the famous DCI drum judge from the 1970s. If so, I never knew that he participated in one of most somber events in American history.

I assume the Rodney Goodheart playing in the JFK funeral procession was also the famous DCI drum judge from the 1970s. If so, I never knew that he participated in one of most somber events in American history.

Found these on the net

drums58.jpg

Rodney is 2nd from the right.

drmlne62.jpg

The snare line, from left to right consisted of Jimmy Dinkins, Eric Landis,

Bill Mojica, Rodney Goodhart, Bob Hoffheins and John Bosworth.

John

• Like 1

I recently came across this historical tid bit pertaining to drum corps and the JFK funeral on Nov. 24, 1963:

"Accompanying the casket as it moved on a caisson from the White House to the Capitol on Sunday was a joint service drum corps. In the eighteen-man corps were members of The USAF Band's Drum and Bugle Corps, Sergeants Harold Ludwig and Rodney Goodheart, and Airmen Bill Mojica and Jim Dinkins. To this day the sound of their drums playing the somber muffled beat is still etched in many memories."

As sort of a side note to this.

In 1992 I was recording some new music for a show called "The American Adventure" that currently plays in the American Pavilion at Epcot Center in Florida. There is a segment in the film that uses about 20 seconds of footage from this funeral procession. As we were doing overdubs the composer realized that he had not written a part for the drums in the procession. I mentioned that I had some experience playing rudimental snare and he agreed to let me play. I borrowed an old wooden marching snare drum and brought it in the next day. We overdubbed the part several times each time re-tuning the drum slightly to create a fuller sound. At the end of the day we had our funeral drums recorded. I don't how close it was to the actual part but I think it conveyed the idea of a funeral cadence quite well.

As sort of a side note to this.

In 1992 I was recording some new music for a show called "The American Adventure" that currently plays in the American Pavilion at Epcot Center in Florida. There is a segment in the film that uses about 20 seconds of footage from this funeral procession. As we were doing overdubs the composer realized that he had not written a part for the drums in the procession. I mentioned that I had some experience playing rudimental snare and he agreed to let me play. I borrowed an old wooden marching snare drum and brought it in the next day. We overdubbed the part several times each time re-tuning the drum slightly to create a fuller sound. At the end of the day we had our funeral drums recorded. I don't how close it was to the actual part but I think it conveyed the idea of a funeral cadence quite well.

Greg,

FWIW, here is a link of the JFK funeral on Youtube including cadence and clip of the drumline: www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-n1s1aRGcA&feature=related.

Found these on the net

drums58.jpg

Rodney is 2nd from the right.

drmlne62.jpg

The snare line, from left to right consisted of Jimmy Dinkins, Eric Landis,

Bill Mojica, Rodney Goodhart, Bob Hoffheins and John Bosworth.

John

Hey Dan and others - you must remember "Jimmy" Dinkins as well. He thought he was the greatest percussion judge that ever came out of Atlanta. One other thing about Rodney - his wife and daughters were gorgeous. I know at least one of his daughters marched in Spirit's guard - I think in 1981.

Greg,

FWIW, here is a link of the JFK funeral on Youtube including cadence and clip of the drumline: www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-n1s1aRGcA&feature=related.

Thanks Dan,

I checked it out and the composer actually wrote the part pretty close to the original. A little slower though.

Hey Dan and others - you must remember "Jimmy" Dinkins as well. He thought he was the greatest percussion judge that ever came out of Atlanta. One other thing about Rodney - his wife and daughters were gorgeous. I know at least one of his daughters marched in Spirit's guard - I think in 1981.

Andrea Goodhart did march in Spirit's guard. Not sure about '81, but I know she marched '82.

She eventually married Spirit's drum guru of the 80's, Mike Back. They have a couple of kids of their own and live in the Atlanta area. Mike is the Band Director at Walton High School. Not sure what Andrea is doing these days. Their oldest daughter Katie is in the snareline at Walton.

AA

Andrea Goodhart did march in Spirit's guard. Not sure about '81, but I know she marched '82.

She eventually married Spirit's drum guru of the 80's, Mike Back. They have a couple of kids of their own and live in the Atlanta area. Mike is the Band Director at Walton High School. Not sure what Andrea is doing these days. Their oldest daughter Katie is in the snareline at Walton.

AA

you know, I don't know you people (you don't really know me except from here!) but what I love is our shared history and our (speaking for myself of course - 'cause I don't know you LOL) absolute love of this sometimes incredible all inclusive activity we've had a part in. I'm not being maudlin but God bless us!

Puppet

• Like 1

you know, I don't know you people (you don't really know me except from here!) but what I love is our shared history and our (speaking for myself of course - 'cause I don't know you LOL) absolute love of this sometimes incredible all inclusive activity we've had a part in. I'm not being maudlin but God bless us!

Puppet

From one old man to another Puppet - this is a place where we have more in common that we are different. Race - religion - male or female - it didn't matter. If you were in my corps, we found a way to take care of each other through thick and thin. Years later - if my coworkers worked half as hard as my corps friends (or any corps for that matter), we'd be in great shape.

A great 27th friend of mine once said - "we're a cult" - meaning the activity - not necessarily our corps. One thing I always knew - we were a disciplined gang that used music, marching and our guard to expend some positive energy towards a common goal - to kick another corps' butt.

And now - all these years later - it's ok to say to tell each other that we respected the Brassmen, or Bridgemen, or Bucaneers for their espirit'd corps and performance. Of course - I'd never admit that 40 years ago !

3 cheers to us, and to those we love that are no longer with us.

• Like 1

[quote name='LancerLegend' date='Mar 18 2008, 08:35 PM' post='2178192'

A great 27th friend of mine once said - "we're a cult" - meaning the activity - not necessarily our corps. One thing I always knew - we were a disciplined gang that used music, marching and our guard to expend some positive energy towards a common goal - to kick another corps' butt.

We are/were(??) a very special group of people. We didn't know the influence we had in the days of our youth. Once, when one of us derided a corps who scored a 25 point something, George B. wagged the infamous finger at us all and shouted that those kids thought the sun "rises and sets" on us. I now consider the impact of the top corps of those days to be monumental!! Brassmen, Des Plaines, Santa Clara, Troopers, and countless others shaped me into who I am today. (Well, okay, I'm slightly amorphous and bald - but you understand what I mean! :thumbup: ) The ethics and respect remain. I offer that to today's corps' members to carry forward. Sermon over.

• Like 1