Contra Mouthpieces

micfiygd

I don't like the stainless steel mouthpieces. Maybe it's just the players, but even when I've tried them I've found the sound to be just dead, no warmth at all. The only one I've tried that's decent is the GW mpc, which is upward of $300 and frankly I can get the same results with my $95 Perantucci. Don't run after the trends, don't run after the neat new stuff, try what you can and buy what you like.

They are different, and I have at least one that is flat dead in terms of tone. Although it's one of the best playing pieces I have. But not all of them are that way. A lot of the newer ones are trimmed down in mass pretty good. And sound a lot closer to the thinner plated metal versions. Even with the difference in tone, they still have advantages. Especially if your marching horn is a bit bell heavy (Euph / Mello). Or if you have metal allergies. I tend to favor them because they seem to yield better accuracy. You're fighting the piece less at the extremes, and you can push the volume pretty good without a lot of backlash. Although for the most part, they are not as tone rich as more traditional pieces. And a lot easier to keep clean, and no need to replace / replate every two years. Most mouthpieces are a bit of a compromise anyway.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the stainless steel mouthpieces. Maybe it's just the players, but even when I've tried them I've found the sound to be just dead, no warmth at all. The only one I've tried that's decent is the GW mpc, which is upward of $300 and frankly I can get the same results with my $95 Perantucci. Don't run after the trends, don't run after the neat new stuff, try what you can and buy what you like.

Hey Big Dog. I have a LOUD and a Bach. Can't find my Bach. Not sure about the LOUD...

Can you recommend a couple of alternatives for our G Dynasty Magnums?

You should stop by one of our future camps. It would be good to see you. If you PM me with your email address, I'll email you an audio clip from last camp.

I'd like to stop by, I've just been recovering from a back injury but I'm finally back on my feet. In my experience a little sharper rim helps clarity on G horns because they're pitched so low, so if you're just looking for a standard I'd go with the Conn Helleberg 120S, which is the deeper Helleberg.

• 4 years later...

I use a Bach 18. Good mouthpiece but the one I use is not in good condition. I thought about purchasing a Conn Helleberg but I didn't. I found a Conn 24AW at school and hated it. It provided a very deep low register, but anything over an open f I couldn't get out with a tone as good as other m

On my sousaphone (Conn 20K), I typically play a Helleberg. When I owned a Dynasty M375 GG contra (the 4/4 sized horn), I had to buy a Helleberg 7B as the horn would only respond the way I wanted it to by playing on a smaller mouthpiece. On my CC tuba (Meinl Weston 2145) and GG contrabass (Kanstul Contra Grande) I play a Loud LM-5. The LM-5 is a bathtub mouthpiece. No other way to describe that one. The LM-5 doesn't lend itself to good attacks at full volume on the contra, but the volume and tone are wonderful. I have a hard time hitting the pedal G on my contra, but I have a very usable false tone range from written F to D below the low C (treble clef transposition). Of course if this were a 4 valve horn I wouldn't have to false tone those notes!

No Conn Hellebergs, ever. I despise that mouthpice. Best mouthpiece for drum corps, I would reccommend a Dennis Wick 2XL Heritage Series. My Dennis Wick personally is a 1L with a gold rim and inside and its my favorite mouthpiece that I have.

I use a helleberg with the contra I play in our corps, which is a Kanstul Commandant's Own contra although I'm going to buy a pt88+. I would recommend perantucci line for anyone looking for a solid sub $100 mouthpiece as they come in a variety of different mouthpieces.

I use a helleberg with the contra I play in our corps, which is a Kanstul Commandant's Own contra although I'm going to buy a pt88+. I would recommend perantucci line for anyone looking for a solid sub $100 mouthpiece as they come in a variety of different mouthpieces.

I can play on my Jettone Helleberg, but I just can't play on that Conn Helleberg anymore. Love my Dennis Wick too much lol