Contra Mouthpieces

micfiygd

Ok, the Hellebergs are good for the money, but if this is something you want to do for a while....i would invest in a Laskey 30H mouthpiece. it's like the Helleberg, except it has a deeper cup, and a darker sound. And this is the only mouthpiece i have found that sounds and plays awesome on Contra and concert tuba! hope this helps!

I use the same thing on my CC horn, just because it has a Euro shank option. It is a very good copy of the Conn Helleburg, so much so that I feel no change going from my Laskey to my Conn. The good playing is all you!!! :rolleyes:

The rim is slightly rounded, which softens the tone, but I will have to compare both side by side to see about the cup depth. I have the 30H in my hand right now, my CH is at home in my tuba case. It is best to go by "feel" rather than stats and try it in the horn you are going to play. Old Arnold in CHI Sym just changed mouthpieces and used the same York for everything, or so I am told by my teachers, who studied directly from him. I still prefer the Conn Helleburg, but maybe it is more nostalgia than anything else (and because I can play very soft and extremely loud and pretty high and very, very low on that model).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the same thing on my CC horn, just because it has a Euro shank option. It is a very good copy of the Conn Helleburg, so much so that I feel no change going from my Laskey to my Conn. The good playing is all you!!! :rolleyes:

The rim is slightly rounded, which softens the tone, but I will have to compare both side by side to see about the cup depth. I have the 30H in my hand right now, my CH is at home in my tuba case. It is best to go by "feel" rather than stats and try it in the horn you are going to play. Old Arnold in CHI Sym just changed mouthpieces and used the same York for everything, or so I am told by my teachers, who studied directly from him. I still prefer the Conn Helleburg, but maybe it is more nostalgia than anything else (and because I can play very soft and extremely loud and pretty high and very, very low on that model).

And now I have both here side by side in my bandroom. I see very little difference, other than the CH is lighter and has a flatter rim. Cup width and depth are almost identical, the throats are very similiar, but the Euro shank on the Laskey would give the "impression" of a larger mouthpiece--it is also of heavier build. I use to use a Perantucci 10 for my old Alexander, but have found the Laskey to center and improve intonation better, at least for myself. Good luck!

So, Im considering the Bach 7. Any information? How about Megatone mouthpieces?

Used to play a Megatone, outgrew it in terms of it being a useful 'piece to what I was doing. Honestly, the only way you'll know is if you get ahold of them and play them. What one person raves about, another will say "I hated it."

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not but I would recommend a Loud LM-12 for Contra. It was designed specifically for them. Great response and excellent high and low range capabilities. I have played on Hellebergs, Mike Finns and a few others and I feel the LM-12 gives me the best overall sound. Especially at high volume levels.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not but I would recommend a Loud LM-12 for Contra. It was designed specifically for them. Great response and excellent high and low range capabilities. I have played on Hellebergs, Mike Finns and a few others and I feel the LM-12 gives me the best overall sound. Especially at high volume levels.

Is that a big mouthpiece? I know a friend who swears by the LM7. I really dont have the $150 though, I was hoping for something under $100, and the Bach 7 Megatone fits within that. I just dont know anything about it really...

• 3 weeks later...

No one plays schilke??? Schilke 69c4 workked out beautifully for me! Though at first you do play louder than holy#### it all pays off.

Pointing out that there are two sizes of Helleberg...

• Standard (larger)

• 7B (smaller)

A lot of people end up with the 7B (good for starting on) and later complain it's not big enough, not aware of the "regular one."

Jim Kelly has several solutions:

http://www.kellymouthpieces.com/kt_50.asp (in Lexan - patterned after the Perantucci-PT50) $65

http://www.kellymouthpieces.com/stainless_kellyberg_tuba.asp (in Stainless Steel based on Helleberg) $118

http://www.kellymouthpieces.com/tuba.asp $32 in Lexan: "The 18, 24AW and 25 cup sizes are patterned after the Bach® series, while the KELLYberg® is patterned after the Conn-Helleberg® series."

Speaking of Helleberg: Jim also JUST came out with a bone/bari/euph "Kellyberg 51D" in Stainless Steel, which I got one of yesterday. This is the piece I have been deaming of for years -- "familiar" 51D feel, but inner (and outer!) contours borrowed/scaled from the Helleberg Tuba piece. The stainless lets him make a very thin, sharp shank for a less abrupt transition into the lead pipe. The stainless feels even slicker than gold plate. After one day, I'm falling in love with it. Might write up a review in a week or so if anybody wants.

I don't like the stainless steel mouthpieces. Maybe it's just the players, but even when I've tried them I've found the sound to be just dead, no warmth at all. The only one I've tried that's decent is the GW mpc, which is upward of $300 and frankly I can get the same results with my $95 Perantucci. Don't run after the trends, don't run after the neat new stuff, try what you can and buy what you like.