Looking for Schmidt Indians Info

Picked up another "different" DC item recently. Postcard with a drawing of a couple of Schmidt Indians shaking hands with who I take is the King and Queen of England. Can't tell which king and queen but they look young so guessing after 1952 or so when Elizabeth II came on the throne. As by the pic the Indians are in Minnesota and the royal couple are in Canada with Winnepeg in the background.

About all I know about this corps is the expensive unis and they are connected with Hamms Indians (previous? name). Any of you midwest DCPers want to fill in the blanks. Trying to find out what this postcard represents. Also years each name was in use.

Edit: Did a quick google and Elizabeth II visited Canada in 1957. Also visited in the early 1970s but that's not good for the post card. Previous King (George VI) and Queen visited Winnipeg (card has WinnEpeg) 1939 just before war broke out.... Hmmm.....

16_098.jpg

:tongue:

Hey Jim!

I was looking at this and did a little digging through our local history stuff, and found that the Indians(Schmidt version) did 'different' gigs across the area.

I suspect your info about "the Queen Mum" may be more correct..I wouldn't be surprized if the Indians may have gone to "Winnepeg" as part of some promotional gimmick from either the city of St. Paul or the State. Like the card suggests - "Hands across the border".

I feel fortunate enough to be old enough to have seen both versions of the corps, Schmidt AND Hamm's..A very good family friend was in both versions..along with a number of early MBI pioneers.

Pat

Picked up another "different" DC item recently. Postcard with a drawing of a couple of Schmidt Indians shaking hands with who I take is the King and Queen of England. Can't tell which king and queen but they look young so guessing after 1952 or so when Elizabeth II came on the throne. As by the pic the Indians are in Minnesota and the royal couple are in Canada with Winnepeg in the background.

About all I know about this corps is the expensive unis and they are connected with Hamms Indians (previous? name). Any of you midwest DCPers want to fill in the blanks. Trying to find out what this postcard represents. Also years each name was in use.

Edit: Did a quick google and Elizabeth II visited Canada in 1957. Also visited in the early 1970s but that's not good for the post card. Previous King (George VI) and Queen visited Winnipeg (card has WinnEpeg) 1939 just before war broke out.... Hmmm.....

16_098.jpg

There seems to be a few things politically incorrect about this card also. One could say that the reference to American natives and alcohol consumption as witnessed on the bass drum is not very PC. And the dancing indian on the right seems to be taunting the squaw clearly sitting (Indian Style) on the ground. The squaw being set aside while her male counterparts get to greet the royalty isn't very nice.

There seems to be a few things politically incorrect about this card also. One could say that the reference to American natives and alcohol consumption as witnessed on the bass drum is not very PC. And the dancing indian on the right seems to be taunting the squaw clearly sitting (Indian Style) on the ground. The squaw being set aside while her male counterparts get to greet the royalty isn't very nice.

LMAO...... Laughing because my colleges (Indiana Univ of PA) sport teams used to be called the "Big Indians". Of course the local HS were (still are?) the "Little Indians". Name got changed a few years back when the NCAA informed all colleges with non-PC names to change them or be banned from NCAA playoff activities. We'now know as the "Crimson Hawks" which is idiotic as there are no crimson hawks in the area. Finding more and more Big Indian stuff at my parents house which will go on eBay as soon as I can figure out how to "market" it. ("Banned college name items"?)

Local college (Shippensburg, PA) used to be the "Red Raiders" with an indian head logo. Now they are the "Raiders" with a ship logo. Ship.... Shippensburg... get it? :tongue:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

LMAO...... Laughing because my colleges (Indiana Univ of PA) sport teams used to be called the "Big Indians". Of course the local HS were (still are?) the "Little Indians". Name got changed a few years back when the NCAA informed all colleges with non-PC names to change them or be banned from NCAA playoff activities. We'now know as the "Crimson Hawks" which is idiotic as there are no crimson hawks in the area. Finding more and more Big Indian stuff at my parents house which will go on eBay as soon as I can figure out how to "market" it. ("Banned college name items"?)

Local college (Shippensburg, PA) used to be the "Red Raiders" with an indian head logo. Now they are the "Raiders" with a ship logo. Ship.... Shippensburg... get it? :tongue:

This all reminds me of the hassle aimed at the Washington Redskins by some a few years back. Redskins, heh. That should get ya an arrow in the back. I guess nothing ever became of that as they still hold their name. Same could be said about the Cleveland Indians I guess and that character Chief Knock-A-Homer. Is he still around???

That's why it's safer to name yer team something like the Dolphins. You can screw over a fish and not catch any flack for it.

And I already know.... a dolphin is not a fish.

:tongue:

Hey Jim!

I was looking at this and did a little digging through our local history stuff, and found that the Indians(Schmidt version) did 'different' gigs across the area.

I suspect your info about "the Queen Mum" may be more correct..I wouldn't be surprized if the Indians may have gone to "Winnepeg" as part of some promotional gimmick from either the city of St. Paul or the State. Like the card suggests - "Hands across the border".

I feel fortunate enough to be old enough to have seen both versions of the corps, Schmidt AND Hamm's..A very good family friend was in both versions..along with a number of early MBI pioneers.

Pat

Thanks Pat, and I found a previous post of your that the name was Schmidt (no 's') Indians, unlike Schmidts' beer of Philly. Have a list of things to research after I retire and Schmidt Indians will be added to the list. Along with what groups were there during the King and Queens visit to Winni(e)peg in 1939. That will go nicely with checking what groups were at the 75th Aniversery of the Battle of Gettysburg parade(s?) in 1938. Have a DVD with groups in the parade and a few corps were shown, just don't know who they were.

... and if you look at the card, the bass drum has only the Post # (8), the town (St. Paul) and the sponsor (Schmidts) ... there's now mention of "Indians" ... and FYI ... when I did a google on Winnipeg, half the results came up Winnepeg ... looks like a dual spelling is acceptable ... where do you find this stuff? ... tag sales? ... antique shops? ... facinating ... wonder how many thumps that bass drum head took from the tomahawk before it broke ... LOL ...

:-)

Having lived in Winnipeg for 10 years I can assure you that there is no dual spelling that is acceptable! Folks in the 'Peg are pretty hardy...that post card must depict the one or two days that there is no snow!

Really...a great place to live and raise a family. Best summers in the world because you appreciate every single day of it. When I was there the closest corps was in Fargo-Moorehead....just a bit to far....