Photo
- - - - -

Are the Watchmen a drum and bugle corps?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 N.E. Brigand

N.E. Brigand

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

The Facebook page of the Watchmen, who performed in exhibition at Walnut on Sunday, describes the group as a "brass and percussion ensemble". You can watch their show on the DCI Fan Network under the "Spotlight '13 / Viral" tab.

They march. They play brass. They have a battery and pit.

They don't call themselves a drum corps. Their show was less than seven minutes long. And they include trombones.

But what's in a name? And don't lots of corps perform short shows early in the season? And was Boston Crusaders not a drum corps when they used a synthesizer in the 1980s (and got penalized for it)?

What do you think: drum corps or not?

Edited by N.E. Brigand, 03 July 2013 - 12:35 AM.

Amplification in drum corps is like trampolines in the high jump.

"For some the only glimpse. For some the awaking." - - J.R.R. Tolkien

"If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man." - - C.S. Lewis

"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortune of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it except the pleasure of seeing it." - - Adam Smith

Open Class 2014 Repertoires - - - - - Open Class 2014 Standings

#2 Barifonium

Barifonium

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

Officially they're classified as a Soundsport Participant... but it's obvious from their instrumentation that they want to be a drum corps.

I consider them a drum corps even if they aren't officially one yet.

Impulse 09,'10 (Soloist)

Academy 2011 (RE)(Euph)

Phantom Regiment in 2012 - season-ender 2 weeks into spring training

Ageout: Couchmen 2013 - Part my fault, part bad luck.

Warhawk: "What do you do when you have the weight of the world on your shoulders?"

John Stewart: "Plant your feet."

john-stewart-525x393.jpg

#3 Northern Thunder

Northern Thunder

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

I keep track of all the junior corps that are active each year, and some, like the Watchmen, combine traditional band instruments with genuine bugles.
The Crescent City Cadets of New Orleans and the junior ROTC units in the Chicago area come to mind. They actually call themselves drum and bugle corps,
while the Watchmen don't. I guess I would say their instrumentation is 80% drum and bugle corps and 20% marching band, and since they don't officially call themselves
a drum and bugle corps yet I wouldn't consider them one right now. If they switched the sousaphone and trombone for bugles they definitely qualify as a corps.
Brian Tolzmann
Drum Corps World--staff writer, 1984-present
"The Amazing World of Drum Corps" column
Drum Corps News--staff writer, 1977-1984
Drum Corps Information Archives--founder, 1977
North American Drum Corps Enthusiasts--founder, 1971

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.