Specific mouthpieces for contra

Stainless steel for one.

Now that is out of the way, loudness really is a difference. I was always a very loud player, usually having a different dynamic for me as opposed to the rest of the line. But on the Loud I was noticeably louder.

Personally I didn't fit the Loud very well and the PT-50 was by far my perfect mouthpiece. The 50 made my lower register resonate, and somehow opened up my upper register over previously using a smaller cup mouthpiece.

Now I think I played the LM 6(?) not for certain though. So I can't really get into the details of the difference other than feel for myself. The only way to know would be to try them both and see for yourself.

Hope some of that rambling was of any help.

• Like 1

Haven't played any Perantucci, so I'm not much help there.

I also have very limited experience with an LM-12. A friend of mine got one a few years ago. The cup was insanely shallow. The inner rim also hung over the cup a little bit, if I remember correctly. A very odd mouthpiece, but my buddy enjoyed using it for college pep band/marching band. I'm sure if you're a decent enough player, it'll work in any scenario, but there might be some tightwad tech who thinks it's a "circus mouthpiece" or whatever.

I've pretty much exclusively used an LM-7 for several years (for drum corps and occasional indoor church/brass band gigs) and love it. Accommodates everything in my range, with a great "feel" on the low-end notes (though I think the lower range support is mostly from the general Loud design of concentrating more weight near the rim).

There are some performers and sellers who say stainless steel is inferior, but I've noticed very little difference from "softer" metal mouthpieces.

TL;DR - I like Loud.

I would love an LM-12. I've played an LM-12 and it is literally the easiest mouthpiece to play earth shakingly loud on. I normally play a Loud LM-5 on Contra and concert tuba. The LM-5 was the largest mouthpiece ever offered by Loud - bigger than the 6. But when Loud went bankrupt and reorganized, the 5 did not make the cut. LM-5s are very hard to come by, but the sound quality is unmatched for my playing style. I don't have much experience with PT mouthpieces either.

I would love an LM-12. I've played an LM-12 and it is literally the easiest mouthpiece to play earth shakingly loud on. I normally play a Loud LM-5 on Contra and concert tuba. The LM-5 was the largest mouthpiece ever offered by Loud - bigger than the 6. But when Loud went bankrupt and reorganized, the 5 did not make the cut. LM-5s are very hard to come by, but the sound quality is unmatched for my playing style. I don't have much experience with PT mouthpieces either.

Is there anyone that would sell the LM-5?

Edited by TubaPlayer216

There are no stores that sell the LM-5. You may have luck prying one away from someone via the TubeNet forums. As always, check eBay. You won't find one new though. I bought mine used.