1987 Finals PA Announcer

Although 1991 Preview of Champions was in Madison, I remember that incident happening in 1993 at the Preview of Champions in Ypsilanti.

It absolutely happened in 1991. The Preview of Champions show in 1991 was the only show I attended that summer, and the group I was with all remember that incident.

Now, having it happen again in 1993 is no shock at all.

• 7 years later...

Am I completely out of it thinking that Joe Bruno announced at least a couple of finals? I know I'm getting old but....

I know that Joe Bruno announced the 1996 DCI Division II/III FInals......that was exciting!

• 4 weeks later...

The definitive, honest-to-Jesus truth: Nothing "bad" happened at the 1993 Preview. The audience politely applauded Star, who won all captions (3way drum tie, but who cares) including color guard, but the captions were not announced. Interesting.

Crocker did the 1985 DCI Finals. His mike was not connected well, and the PBS broadcast heard him softly at the mike and louder a half second later as the stadium audience heard him. Short did the 1986 and 1987 DCI Finals. Michael Boo has the (Blooooo)coats confused with the audience disgust of 1991 Preview as the Cavies were announced in 2nd. Whoever quoted Short did it verbatim. btw, he sounded like a 120 year old man. Crocker has a certain panache regarding his ebb and flow.

At prelims in '87, Short wasn't familiar with Garfield's ending and annouced the corps name at the end of the company front. If you ever see the high-camera recording, he called out "The Garfield Cadets" just as we started the tag ending. That happened a few times during the season - it always cracked us up.

Edited by StuStu
  • Like 1

At prelims in '87, Short wasn't familiar with Garfield's ending and annouced the corps name at the end of the company front. If you ever see the high-camera recording, he called out "The Garfield Cadets" just as we started the tag ending. That happened a few times during the season - it always cracked us up.

"We?" You were on that field? Wow. :babies:

Short did the 1986 and 1987 DCI Finals. Michael Boo has the (Blooooo)coats confused with the audience disgust of 1991 Preview as the Cavies were announced in 2nd. Whoever quoted Short did it verbatim. btw, he sounded like a 120 year old man. Crocker has a certain panache regarding his ebb and flow.

Bill Short's reaction at 1991 Preview was the most embarrassing thing I've ever heard at a drum corps show.

I personally thought the booing was bad enough, but Short made it much worse when he "scolded" those certain fans that did the booing.

I felt embarrassed for the activity that night.

"We?" You were on that field? Wow. :babies:

Yes, and therein lies my claim to fame in the the drum corps universe. When the company front reassembled at the end of "Simple Gifts" I was on the 50. Or, as Marc Sylvester said during rehearsal - "Everyone dress down to Stu Stu - and Gawd help us all".

• Like 1