SCV Hornline

I don't have nearly the info I need to form an opinion on this, so I thought someone with more exposure could help me out...

It feels like for the last few years, SCV has not been a real presence (or at least, not as BIG a presence as I would think.) This year, though, their scores put them very close in the pack, especially since there's so much season left. Also, with the limited video I've seen of them online this season, it strikes me that their hornline (even with a smaller bottom end than most top tier corps) not only has volume, but a really balanced, consistent, in-tune (relatively) sound.

Any ideas/opinions on what's going on? Is this something that I should have noticed in recent years? Is Feagin doing something different with the hornline that is making this improvement? Just been impressed with what little I've seen. (Now, more disappointed that they won't be making the Hattiesburg show.)

Thoughts?

I don't have nearly the info I need to form an opinion on this, so I thought someone with more exposure could help me out...

It feels like for the last few years, SCV has not been a real presence (or at least, not as BIG a presence as I would think.) This year, though, their scores put them very close in the pack, especially since there's so much season left. Also, with the limited video I've seen of them online this season, it strikes me that their hornline (even with a smaller bottom end than most top tier corps) not only has volume, but a really balanced, consistent, in-tune (relatively) sound.

Any ideas/opinions on what's going on? Is this something that I should have noticed in recent years? Is Feagin doing something different with the hornline that is making this improvement? Just been impressed with what little I've seen. (Now, more disappointed that they won't be making the Hattiesburg show.)

Thoughts?

There really are some great SCV threads on this subject and TONS to read in said threads.

To keep it short, it's a few things.

1. They're great

2. They aren't running all the dang place because the music doesn't call for it

3. They sound loud as heck because the shaping of the entire show doesn't allow them to unload until the very end.

4. Visual staging is adding to their total sound. Most overlooked and crucial element of drill design in my book.

5. They have shifted away from a high impact visual show and gone with a high impact musical show :)

Up until now I had no idea Andre Feagin was caption head (manager) for the Vanguard A corps. With that in mind now I'm thinking it's NO WONDER they have their best sounding hornline in years!

I have no doubts that Andre has brought along his wealth of talent and experience to teach the Vanguard hornline. He was with Crown during the time when they started making their move up the top 12 ranks working along side many current Crown brass staffers. I'm sure that experience from a brass technique standpoint is with him.

Memphis Sound won their only DCI championship when Andre Feagin was their corps director which, unfortunately for them, was just for one year. He was a member and drum major of Phantom Regiment and I think he aged out in 2002.

If they keep Andre on as caption head for more than a year I think we'll see the SCV hornline steadily improve.

In regards to the original posts comment about having a "smaller bottom" they could have an even smaller low brass section than that but as long as every player contributes 100% and their technique is correct then they will produce a high quality of sound. Matching horns, matching mouthpieces, matching technique = excellent tone + excellent intonation which equals greater volume.

In regards to the original posts comment about having a "smaller bottom" they could have an even smaller low brass section than that but as long as every player contributes 100% and their technique is correct then they will produce a high quality of sound. Matching horns, matching mouthpieces, matching technique = excellent tone + excellent intonation which equals greater volume.

I can appreciate the fundamentals of quality sound production, and I appreciate that as an explanation for how a smaller bari/bass voice section could produce a better/bigger sound than if they were sloppy. However, would these same fundamentals not apply to a euph/bari/contra line with more members?

Is your point that maybe it's more difficult to match sound/pitch with a larger group? Or that in an effort to increase size, some corps' contra lines might be sacrificing quality? I guess I could see that too. Original point being, it seemed impressive for that sound to come out of a group that size, now in the day of these mammoth 16-person contra sections.