Who do you think has had the best hornline in the last 5 seasons?

I am certain that everyone posting here is knowledgeable enough at some capacity to have a qualified position; but please look at all the variances in opinion. Now can we see the actual subjective aspects of the judging system in DCI? On any given day, with any given judge, one corps is placed above another based on that opinion. Just like all of our variances, so goes the judging community. Just sayin…

Really?

I can agree with some of these but do you really think all of these lines are above phantom 08/06?

Really?

I find it funny that you keep mentioning these two hornlines as being the best. Those were the WORST phantom hornlines of the past 5 years. I saw 08 live three times and the only word I can use to describe the sound would be "chainsaw", well and of course "blaring".

Calling a modern BD hornline "the darkest/fullest sounding BD hornline [under whatever condition]" is like saying "I was on Antarctica during the warmest day of its Winter."

I disagree. BD's horn line this year was fantastic (and I am an obvious cavaliers homer). They played dark when they were asked to do so, and bright when they needed to as well. The harmonic language of the book and BD's scoring practices made them sound bright more times then not, but I don't always equate that as a bad thing. They earned the Jim Ott this year and should easily be in the conversation for one of the best hornlines in the past 5 years. I don't think a drum corps has gone undefeated in horns since the 80's if my memory serves me correctly, so that should definitely speak for something.

On a related note, some of these posts on here are pretty hilarious in regards to their obvious biases. Blue Stars having one of the best hornlines of the past 5 years? Sure they had a great mello line, but that can't be enough. Phantom Regiment this past year also? They were not even close to their normal standards, much less one of the best in the last 5. Bluecoats having the hardest book? I am sorry, they weren't in the top 3 as far as difficulty this year.

Anyways, Crown in 2009 was pretty great as was BD this year. Bluecoats in 2007 were great all season long and maybe the cleanest horn-line I have ever heard in July. Crown in 2008 was impressive because of Candide alone.... just my opinions....

I find it funny that you keep mentioning these two hornlines as being the best. Those were the WORST phantom hornlines of the past 5 years. I saw 08 live three times and the only word I can use to describe the sound would be "chainsaw", well and of course "blaring".

I agree, but many people's definition of qualities exhibited in "the best" are obviously quite divergent from one another.

edited for grammar.

Edited by dcialumni1989

In your opinion of course! Not mine!

We can agree to disagree.

However, describing these hornlines as a "Chainsaw" is a downright insult to the MMs who worked so hard on those shows.

In the future, please just say "I didn't like their sound because of A and B."

A and B representing MUSICAL or TECHNICAL issues.

Thanks and stay classy DCP! :worthy:

Best=loudest, I guess

It's healthy if we all simply embrace the characteristics drum corps brass lines really have going for them . . . power and endurance. Much better than putting ourselves through the bizarre delusion that 70-80 young amateurs on a football have good intonation and blending. I'll be glad when drum corps works this ridiculous infatuation with the Texas wind band philosophy out if its system.

In your opinion of course! Not mine!

We can agree to disagree.

However, describing these hornlines as a "Chainsaw" is a downright insult to the MMs who worked so hard on those shows.

In the future, please just say "I didn't like their sound because of A and B."

A and B representing MUSICAL or TECHNICAL issues.

Thanks and stay classy DCP! :worthy:

This is not how the Internet works...