Corps Behavior

I was disappointed to hear that the Spartans had some trouble leaving their housing site in NC.

Apparently the members (or staff) decided to take some mementos from the school. The local police that were called in didn't think that it was too funny or appropriate.

On this board people were talking about perception of our activity. When I hear stories like this I cringe because it doesn't necessarily only reflect poorly on the offending corps, but all of us who have ever marched and done so with dignity.

What a shame....

How were they caught?? Did the housing official catch them? Why were the police called? Man, sounds like a pretty big thing. Was it a computer or something.

But none-the-less this is totally unacceptable, especially this day in age when corps are having a lot of trouble finding good housing sites.

Don't know what happened with Spartans so can't comment there.

I DO know, my High School hosted the show in Newnan just a few days ago. I just found out today that one of the corps in town used a field they were not supposed to and apparently broke into a locked tower as well.

This is a school where I had arranged housing for a top 6 corps a couple of years ago as a last minute replacement for a housing site that fell through for another show. The principal then was a little reluctant, but worked with me on because we'd known each other for quite a while. To reward him for his last minute good nature, he got burned by some drug use on campus by corps members. (when handed over to the corps management rather than the authorities, nothing was done to the member......)

Our county had pretty much nixed anything like that since then for a while. I had JUST talked them into giving it another shot and now this happens to one of the most respected principals in the county who was being a VERY reasonable person and allowing corps back on his campus after previous problems. He's pretty much done with the activity and quite possibly so is our entire county once again all so someone could have a little better field and a little better vantage point for one day.

If anything ever is, this kind of behavior by various corps might eventually be the end of drum corps due to a lack of ability to house the corps for shows.

Later, AA

I was disappointed to hear that the Spartans had some trouble leaving their housing site in NC. 

Apparently the members (or staff) decided to take some mementos from the school.  The local police that were called in didn't think that it was too funny or appropriate.

On this board people were talking about perception of our activity.  When I hear stories like this I cringe because it doesn't necessarily only reflect poorly on the offending corps, but all of us who have ever marched and done so with dignity. 

What a shame....

no offense, but do you have solid evidence of this being true? who did you hear it from?? have spartans issued a statement apologizing? just curious.

I was concerned as well when I read DrumCorpsFan1981’s post earlier today. You see, I am a fan as well. I marched in Drum Corps for several years…back in the old days. I started when I was in the 3rd grade. I also taught for years and love the activity. Drum Corps has afforded me the opportunity to learn so much about life, leadership, respect and most importantly about people.

I guess drum corps is truly hereditary, because my son now marches with the Spartans. And my wife (who by the way also marched in drum corps) is working her tail off on their chow truck while they are on tour. My experience in drum corps has also taught me to check facts, so that’s what I did. What else would a lonely and hungry dad do who is left at home while his family is on tour?

So I called my wife who answers her cell phone from where else-the chow truck. I told her of my concern and she proceeded to give me the facts “from the field”. Spartans were housed directly at the facility where the Hilton Head competition was held. The school was opened all day to the general public for school-related activities. The school was also opened to all corps and spectators before, during and after the competition as it was used extensively for bathrooms, changing, etc.

Obviously with people going through the facility all day and evening, it was hard to control access. My wife said it was a pretty busy location for a housing site. She also added that the local people and officials couldn’t have been more hospitable.

Amidst all of this activity, a school official accused a member of the Spartans of stealing construction paper and art supplies. And he was thought to be the one responsible because he was “wearing a green shirt”. The member was devastated at the accusation and the Spartans staff along with the member cooperated with the authorities allowing them to thoroughly search the member’s belongings. The member was exonerated of any wrongdoing by the authorities. The Spartans staff and their members were not held accountable because of the number of people having access to the facility throughout the entire day and evening.

I find it is always good to shine the light on things to get the facts. I’m sure that the Spartans and their staff appreciate DrumCorpsFan1981’s concern for them and the activity that we all love. That’s what is so great about drum corps, its fans and members; we can compete with each other on the field while continuing to applaud each other’s accomplishments. We help one another when equipment breaks down, feed one another while on tour and display a host of supportive measures not seen in any other competitive environment.

My wife has told me that everywhere the Spartans travel, the local people remark about the work ethic and courteous behavior of the members as well as the professionalism of the staff. These traits are not limited to the Spartans. This is just what drum corps is all about.

Hey Spartan Dad,

Glad to hear that the issue was cleared up at least from the "local standpoint". I'm sure there will be those that will continue to spread the word that "drum corps" damaged and stole from their school and that's sad. (Not the Spartans fault though).

I was rather surprised to hear that such an issue involved Spartans. Everything I've known of the corps has always been VERY high class. Good to know my impression was a correct one.

Best wishes to the Spartans and all the other corps as they finish the tour.

Later, AA

Edited by nhsalan

<snip>

My wife has told me that everywhere the Spartans travel, the local people remark about the work ethic and courteous behavior of the members as well as the professionalism of the staff.  These traits are not limited to the Spartans.  This is just what drum corps is all about.

Thank you so much for taking the time a effort to set the record staight for us!