age out ceremony

Okay.  Let me get this straight.

I think you need a little help in that department.. let me help you straighten it all out with a few adjustments:

Kids paid to be in a drum corps, so that they could spend their summer vacations doing what they love and marching in a drum corps.  They continued to do this until their age-out year. 

Then DCI gives these kids a ceremony that they never had 10 years ago to honor their rite of passage into "adulthood".  Sometimes it's great.. sometimes it sucks.. but aging out is what you make of it.

How cool is that?

There. That's much better.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI gets rich? Are you a complete fool? Have you any idea regarding corps & DCI finances?

Okay.  Let me get this straight. 

Kids paid to be in a drum corps, so that they could spend their summer vacations working their butts off trying to entertain auduences and sell tickets to DCI shows.

They continued to do this until their youth is gone and DCI gets rich.  As the performers pay with time and money,  the audiences pay for tickets, and sponsors pay and in turn sell  more equipment to other kids. 

Then DCI gives these kids a tacky "oh thanks for making us money...see ya" send off WHILE THE AUDIENCE IS LEAVING?

How lame is that?

Ah! There you are! You nice nannies are easier to invoke than slipping on ice.

Lets be more realistic shall we? I've marched years before you, and probably longer (8 years). I know what the traditions are, were, and are supposed to be. You won't convince me of what a perfect angel DCI is.

Also, your corps may be non-profit, but DCI most certainly isn't. Do you think a corporation like DCI doesn't survive for 33 years without turning out a profit?

Pretty naive opinion.

Edited by apoch003

"Then DCI gives these kids a ceremony that they never had 10 years ago to honor their rite of passage into "adulthood"."

Yes, they did. They had it over 20 years ago.

I looked forward to my ageout ceremony for 6 years after attending the shindig my rookie year in 2000. I was very, very let down. We waited for over an hour, milling about and having no idea what was going on. Then we were "paraded" in front of the non-existant audience, only to be shown a montage video and given a pin. Quite a few left early and just walked away out the back.

If they just killed off the ceremony, I wouldn't mind. If they keep it, there needs to be some serious effort to make it special.

Edited by BlooooContra

It is time to either dignify the age out ceremony,or leave it to the individual corps to honor their members where there will be some honest recognition, and not depend on DCI...

Some corps already do, at their home shows, which is where it makes most sense. Why DCI tries to do one on their own has always something of a mystery to me...

Also, your corps may be non-profit, but DCI most certainly isn't. Do you think a corporation like DCI doesn't survive for 33 years without turning out a profit?

DCI is a non-profit (aka "a charity"). Non-profit means that no individual or group of investors stands to make a personal profit from the overage, not that they're supposed to seek ONLY to break even. Those who don't show positive cash flow from time to time are not considered successful, since running a deficit usually means that they're not able to deliver all the services they could to the community.

Edited by mobrien

When?  I marched mid-80's and there wasn't a ceremony.....

You never went to the age-out parties after finals? You never left your shoes on the field and had the cameras focus on them for the folks at home? Your corps never honored your committment?

I must admit, they aren't exactly DCI funded. But it was way better than what I'm hearing.

What about your membership ring?

Edited by apoch003

You never went to the age-out parties after finals?  You never left your shoes on the field and had the cameras focus on them for the folks at home?  Your corps never honored your committment?

I must admit, they aren't exactly DCI funded.  But it was way better than what I'm hearing.

What about your membership ring?

Read what she said...there was not an age out CEREMONY at any time during the 80s. You can take that to the bank.

Yes, we had members leave stuff on the field. I can't remember any "age out parties"...how was a corps member supposed to attend parties like that?

Back then, each corps did something to let their age outs shine. At Spirit, we allowed the age outs to stand in front of the corps during finals retreat. They also received special recognition and awards at our summer end banquet, which at that time was held during the week of finals. The corps did indeed honor the committment of their age outs. But...there was NOT an organized DCI age out ceremony.

Membership ring? We've never had a ring.