Next new look in horns?

Hee hee...that horn is green. What'll they think of next? :(

Is it radioactive? What's the point? :lol::laugh: Seems like a pricey purchase for Christmas parades or St. Patty's Day.

IMO, Phantom would look silly with black horns. No flash! They'd just sink into the field.

As for saxes and such, Ornette Coleman played a silly looking plastic saxophone...so I'm not going to say anything about woodwinds. He basically changed jazz playing that thing. Bird played one, too.

Grafton%20alto.jpg

Keep the cheesy colors and plastics out of drum corps brass, please. And painted bells (ala Crossmen 89). I think they were brass colored and then white? Right? Yech.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, Ornette Coleman did a few things that totally screwed up jazz. Playing on a plastic sax was just a drop in the bucket.

Second of all, saxes are somewhat of a different story. Black ones (cannonball makes quite a few) are actually, as it's been said, nickel. They do make colored saxes in the similitude of the trumpet that started the thread, but they also tend to be sub par quality.

I don't doubt that it's possible to make colored horns that are high quality, but I think it hasn't really been done. I'd assume this is because people who are serious about playing want a professional looking horn and not something that looks like a toy. These instruments are more than likely marketed to younger music students who aren't experienced enough to realize the sacrifice in quality.

No offense intended, but a saxophone requires a reed. That makes it a woodwind and not a horn.

Actually, any wind instrument can be considered a horn.

OK...back on topic!

Those were Olds 2-valves. Terrific horns! We purchased them just before the 1978 season.

We were so excited, and they played quite well, relative to what everyone else was playing on in those days!

Were they lacquer or bare brass? They did sound fantastic. Of course, you guys had some awesome horn lines back then.