Bugler's Holiday

Please don't bash me - I've never written a review and it's early in the season so Corps will definitely progress from here.

Citations - pretty good show. They seem "young" in the sense that the Corps as a whole will grow and mature with the show as the season progresses. Good sounding hornline for their size and percussion was good. Guard had some timing issues, but will probably get it together.

Teal Sound - when our kids were there it was all about the drumline. They did not seem as "tight" as earlier years but still good. Hornline was really nice! Wish they could have had these numbers while our kids were there. :) Guard had some issues, but should grow with it and be better by Pasadena for sure.

Spartans - original music by Key Poulin. I enjoyed the show and thought it was great. Hornline is smaller than last year but still sounded good. Drumline was pretty good. Guard is a Lennie Machado guard - if you know Lennie, enough said. :)

Boston Crusaders - nice sounding hornline! Nice show overall. I did not care for the altered crutch guard used at one point. They don't seem to have the hang of spinning it and it showed with bobbles and drops. I hope they either learn to use it better or take it out by Pasadena, it could cause problems with scoring. Drumline sounded good too.

Blue Knights - first time seeing them live and wow, what a hornline! I was impressed! Guard was pretty good, but for some reason the "modern" dance type movements didn't seem to go with the music. I know the show is Dark Dances, but for some reason for me it didn't seem to mesh. Nice drumline as well. Loved the Shostakovich music they used.

Phantom Regiment - first off I have to say what the heck were they thinking with the guard uniforms??? Sorry to knitpick here, but Adam Sage usually has such great uniforms and flags that just go together so well with the show. I didn't get that with this show. Hornline was phenominal! Drumline was tight. Can't beat hearing PR play Firebird - nice way to cap off the show!

Everyone has plenty of time to grow, tweak, and nail the show. I'm looking foward to seeing the Corps in Pasadena to see how they have all progressed and grown with their shows. I'm sure they will all be enjoyable.

"Phantom Regiment - first off I have to say what the heck were they thinking with the guard uniforms??? Sorry to knitpick here, but Adam Sage usually has such great uniforms and flags that just go together so well with the show. I didn't get that with this show"

I didn't quite get it at first either, but it has to do with birds/air/flight etc... at least that's what I understand. So, in context it is really quite wonderful! It's certainly different from the Phantom guards we are used to, but it screams Adam Sage, and he knows exactly what he's doing. I'm sure by the end of the season, it will all make total sense.

I think this is about the third review I read where the Blue Knights did not connect with the audience, seems to be a common theme for them this year. I can't wait to see them as I really like their book. But I do wonder if its their show, or their approach (maybe a bit of both) which cause this disconnect