Star of Indiana 1993: Revisited

Why you hatin on symcal pits?

Oh, btw, I just had the oddest craving. I was sitting in the library when I had the oddest craving for La Fromage...

monty_cheese.jpg

Eee, I were all hungry-like!

The symmetricality, to me, disrespected the pit by treating it as a sort of parlor trick, as did some other pits before and after, like phantom in the late 80s, where it seemed the whole pit setup was built around those stupid thunder drums they used for fifteen seconds. Star's thing seemed to say, "Look! It's symmetrical! With the bass drums and the xylophones! The same! On both sides! Screw the content! Look!"

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The symmetricality, to me, disrespected the pit by treating it as a sort of parlor trick, as did some other pits before and after, like phantom in the late 80s, where it seemed the whole pit setup was built around those stupid thunder drums they used for fifteen seconds. Star's thing seemed to say, "Look! It's symmetrical! With the bass drums and the xylophones! The same! On both sides! Screw the content! Look!"

Hehehe...great skit.

"Such a senseless waste of life" *cowboy hat*

Anyway...yeah, I'm just not with ya there, man. If there is a pit and if they sound good, I couldn't care less how their arranged.

**snip** Except the stupid symmetrical pit.

confused stupid brass guy here...what's a symmetrical pit?

confused stupid brass guy here...what's a symmetrical pit?

The pit was arranged symmetrically to symbolize the symmetry found in the music of Bartok, notably the piece they performed - Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celeste.

I'm not sure what "symmetricality" is. I'll just assume you meant symmetry. Anyway, the pit was arranged that way for a reason. It was a visual representation of Bartok's compositional style.

Does symmetrical mean that the two sides of the pit mirror each other as far as instrumentation? I can tell you that if that is the case then it most likely wasn't vanity and had more to do with the side to side antiphonal stuff occurring in the Bartok piece. It's kinda hard to tell on the CD but the whole thing was pretty much echoing from side to side with the mellos bridging the two in the middle.

Does symmetrical mean that the two sides of the pit mirror each other as far as instrumentation? I can tell you that if that is the case then it most likely wasn't vanity and had more to do with the side to side antiphonal stuff occurring in the Bartok piece. It's kinda hard to tell on the CD but the whole thing was pretty much echoing from side to side with the mellos bridging the two in the middle.

It was probably a combination of acoustics and visual appearance. Composers like Bartok not only used symmetry in musical forms, pitch relationships, and rhythms, but they would also use symmetry in the setup of an ensemble. So I believe that the setup of Star's pit achieved a desired sound and was also a visual symbol.

I was playing little league baseball when Star 93 was performing. Isn't that crazy?

Edited by CadetsFan08

I was two when Star performed last...yeah.

Didn't do anything for me. It was groundbreaking - but not in a good way. Small drumline - thus clean - thus "breathtaking" - not really. I'm actually glad I lived in Japan through the Star years so I didn't have to see it.

Didn't do anything for me. It was groundbreaking - but not in a good way. Small drumline - thus clean - thus "breathtaking" - not really. I'm actually glad I lived in Japan through the Star years so I didn't have to see it.

There was an intelligent discussion going on here until you showed up.