College Auditions

dcijay

Im trying out for a college drumline. They are pretty good. I asked my drum coach what i should play for auditions...he gave me this piece called "Trooper's Cadence" ( has anyone played that one?) and i feel like its too easy. I got it memorized in three days..... I dont want to play something at a college audition thats too easy for me...does anyone have any suggestions on challenging snare pieces for an audition? :rolleyes:

The college band didn't assign audition material?

I suggest finding rudimental solos out of any of the Wilcoxin books, or in a more modern corps style Colin McNutt's "In the Lot" book. I hear that’s a really good one. I don't own it, but I know folks who do and love it.

Practice sight reading...I'm not sure if college marching band auditions would have sight reading, but you never know. And it wouldn't hurt.

I've also been asked to play rolls with different metric basses while marking time. (Both on Snare and on Bass...just to see if I could roll on bass.) As well as rudiments...so polish up on those too.

Contact the Band director or Percussion instructor to find out what their expectations are. Some college bands are not of the same caliber of DCI and DCA lines. Also try to get in touch with current students who march in the drumline there. They would be your best resource.

Good luck! :)

Edited by phoenix_aurora

The college band didn't assign audition material?

I suggest finding rudimental solos out of any of the Wilcoxin books, or in a more modern corps style Colin McNutt's "In the Lot" book. I hear that’s a really good one. I don't own it, but I know folks who do and love it.

Practice sight reading...I'm not sure if college marching band auditions would have sight reading, but you never know. And it wouldn't hurt.

I've also been asked to play rolls with different metric basses while marking time. (Both on Snare and on Bass...just to see if I could roll on bass.) As well as rudiments...so polish up on those too.

Contact the Band director or Percussion instructor to find out what their expectations are. Some college bands are not of the same caliber of DCI and DCA lines. Also try to get in touch with current students who march in the drumline there. They would be your best resource.

Good luck! :)

they had assigned material...but we need to perform a piece of our choice...thank you!