Crossmen 2003

Carl306...

Would that be anything like... "BALLINBb?"

(Do the Gmen still sell their "BORINBb: We took the G out of boring" shirts?)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing no one's mentioned yet is that the 2002 show was "the signature series" - if I remember correctly one of the stated goals of the show was to establish some new musical and visual signatures for the corps. given that the same design staff was in place for the 2003 season, it made sense for them to repeat things from the previous year, though I admit the end of the opener may have been a bit heavy-handed.

Some folks read too much into things.

It was just drum corps.

It was fun.

Many people went home happy after seeing the corps.

"Welcome To The St. James Club" (the uptempo portion of the opener) was really kind of a "light" version of Pat Metheny music. . . the format was so similar that we decided we decided to bring back a portion of the previous year's ending to "Heat of the Day" because it just fit. It allowed an opportunity for the drill to flow, and for fans to connect (Hey! I heard that on the CD last year!).

Even in 2002 it was homage to the 1991 and 1998 Crossmen performances of "Third Wind". . . a Metheny piece from back in the day. . . so perhaps some might begin to find a connection and purpose? 2002 did not exist in a vacuum.

The "Birdland" quote was courtesy of Dean Musson, brass caption head and corps director that year. There was some little mello thing going on there, and I guess it sounded like "Birdland" could fit there, so they put it in sometime the last couple of weeks. I thought it was funny -- and it neither harmed nor helped the corps' placement. . . but was like having monogrammed towels. . . a stamp that said "We like our past, and we're going to give you a little of what you have liked about us in the past". It's a nod to history. . . nothing too deep. . . just fun.

Yes, I also put in a little quote from "In The Mood" from the 2000 show. . . but it was just a transition that I composed. . . and it happened to fit for a fun phrase-ending impact point. I remember when I marched in the Dark Ages. . . and most corps would bring back a little something from previous years. . . it helped create an identity and it was fun to catch a little something that you already knew. . .

Was it "art"? I don't even know what that means. . . I'm just an old drum corps guy who had fun with the Crossmen for a few years. . . and am amazed that people would even still talk about those shows.

Back to the trenches. . . writing season ya know!

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

one thing no one's mentioned yet is that the 2002 show was "the signature series" - if I remember correctly one of the stated goals of the show was to establish some new musical and visual signatures for the corps. given that the same design staff was in place for the 2003 season, it made sense for them to repeat things from the previous year, though I admit the end of the opener may have been a bit heavy-handed.

The most obvious reason that the 2002 show was called Signature Series was because all three tunes (at the time the show was named) contained some lengthy portions of music which were in odd time signatures. But I suppose there was a double meaning to it as well, as in trying to create some "signature" moments or whatever.

As to the comments by the original poster, not even worth responding to.

...and there we have it.

OP pwned from the source. :worthy:

Bawker,

I remember seeing this show live in Indy. You know how people say they "shake their heads in disgust" because of narration? Well I was shaking my head in response to the design of the Crossmen show. Twice - afternoon and evening. The friend who I was with went to go get food during their evening performance because he didn't want to see it again. The show simply lacked depth of creativity.

-owned from the audience.

Edited by CadetsFan08

Bawker,

I remember seeing this show live in Indy. You know how people say they "shake their heads in disgust" because of narration? Well I was shaking my head in response to the design of the Crossmen show. Twice - afternoon and evening.

Yet, that show still finished in the Top 12 in 9th place.

That either says something about the design itself or puts you, specifically, significantly ahead of the marching arts design curve.

We'll leave that for others to decide.

Again, you should grind your axe in a different way...railing against show designs that you hate doesn't really make for a productive thread for the most part...but it is easier than trying to promote what you like, I suppose.

...and by audience, you mean you and your friend.

Edited by McCheese

FACT: any declaration made by yourself that you have owned someone immediately voids any quality in your post that may have resulted in ownership.

This is an immutable fact of the internet.

Bawker,

I remember seeing this show live in Indy. You know how people say they "shake their heads in disgust" because of narration? Well I was shaking my head in response to the design of the Crossmen show. Twice - afternoon and evening. The friend who I was with went to go get food during their evening performance because he didn't want to see it again. The show simply lacked depth of creativity.

Man, your buddy left to get some food DURING (see classless) their performance, and that one person speaks for the audience at large?

You need to grab a microphone bud, cause I can't understand that unless you narrate it.