Allentown Part 2

Here is my review of Allentown Part 2....

General: I was on the 50 but very low, so I can't really comment well on visual

Pioneer.........there are some fun treatments of Irish themes here arrangement-wise....the brass line is young and still

struggling with their sound production/technique at this point....adequate percussion........due to the corps'

youth, inexperience, and the fact that they haven't been competitive at the open level for several years

leads me to believe that they may be better suited for div. II competition....

Cascades.....I found show to be a bit dissonant and also disjunct. Brass book is demanding, and I think they will perform

well by season's end....perc. had performance problems tonight...guard and visual product is adequate....

I felt they were a bit underscored and had them edging Crossmen...the show isn't strong enough to

contend for a finals spot this year........

Crossmen.....another corps with a disjunct musical book that just isn't working from an effect standpoint....they play little

snippets from the past....Russian Xmas draws a good response, but then they drop it and that's that.....

transitions don't work, and brass line...both impact and technique...is a big concern...mellophones especially

struggle....percussion section is decent and guard is as well...they have some typical early season dirt there,

but I believe both sections will get there, but I can't say the same with the brass at this point, unless they

really turn it around.....visual design is ok....this product also is not strong enough musically to challenge,

and I was stunned at how close they were to Blue Stars.....

Blue Stars.......very musical corps....arrangements are interesting, and they have good brass technique and blend....

they do need to open up impacts, and soon, to have a shot at finals....I believe they do have a shot, but

this is a tough year and they have to push very hard. Percussion will determine it....the book is ok, but

performance level was dirty tonight.....they seem to be competent enough in visual/guard....If they open up

the brass impacts and the drumline gets clean (they have a great pit), they could be a sleeper to make

finals

Colts............I was very surprised....the arrangements are solid, and the brass line had a very rich, full sound which they

managed to maintain throughout the program.....effective, and visual coordination looked good......percussion

is adequate and musical...they beat G-men tonight, and are looking very much like a finalist at this point....

Blue Knights......some may find the corps a bit abstract musically, but I believe arrangements are solid, demanding, and

they are playing pretty well out of the gate....they also have a solid visual package to go along with it....

good percussion....the product is solid, they do their own thing, and I see them very solid by season's end...

I thought they may break 80 and they were close....

Bluecoats........the "criminal" theme is carried well throughout the program, and I find it entertaining and imaginative....

percussion was quite strong, as were brass impacts and performance level was very good....I feel they are

asking more of their performers than Cavies are, especially musically, and the show at this point is far more

effective...I actually thought they may squeak by BD for the win, and did not think Cavies beat them.....

looking at the recap, visual was the only caption that hurt them, as Cavs were third in the music captions...

Cavaliers.....very strange, in the fact I thought they were hot the 1st half of the show, and then they were done...very little

musical impact in the 2nd half, and the ending was especially dry from an effect/impact standpoint....they

CAN do it, as there were some strong impacts and very strong playing in the 1st half....perc. battery had

a dirty performance...pit was stellar.....they perform well, but the musical book/impact needs to be

seriously beefed up for the 2nd half if they are to contend, and I feel they are overscored at this point....

visual/guard are strong (although too much rolling on the ground by brass...once was fine, but they did it

multiple times.....redundant....it will be interesting to see if they can bring 2nd half up to first half excitement

levels....

Blue Devils.....they were strong in all captions tonight.....brass line has much impact and a strong lead line....I like the

arrangement of Pegasus....I find the middle of the show to lull from a musical interest standpoint, albeit

played well....ending saved it somewhat, but I believe they can do more with it......percussion line plays well..

I have a problem with musical continuity at times, and thus I don't believe they have a total "hit" here

from a musical effect standpoint, which could be there nemesis in Pasadena......

General.... good crowd.....one peeve: it used to be that the winner of the show played the encore, not a pre-determined

corps....I felt BD should have performed, and I heard others saying the same......

GB

The review was really good, but, umm, didn't you forget to comment on a corps that was there?

Bill

Yes....you are right....I enjoyed the Bridgemen alumni....always good to hear Kerchner's great charts again, and the crowd also loved them......I especially enjoyed the addition of the walkers for "Bottle Dance" (lol), and the ref/penalty judge....the uniform still has a look like none other, and the corps rekindled some good memories....the little tribute to 27 was a classy touch, too, especially with the fact the George B was actually there......

GB

Yes....you are right....I enjoyed the Bridgemen alumni....always good to hear Kerchner's great charts again, and the crowd also loved them......I especially enjoyed the addition of the walkers for "Bottle Dance" (lol), and the ref/penalty judge....the uniform still has a look like none other, and the corps rekindled some good memories....the little tribute to 27 was a classy touch, too, especially with the fact the George B was actually there......

GB

Hey there!

Just wanted to say Thank You. Not only for adding a review of our show, but for what you had to say about us as well. I'm really glad that you enjoyed watching it. Believe me, we enjoyed doing it!

Take Care!

HYPE!!

Bill

The short fella trying to jump up and grab the hands of the two tall guys next to him during Bottle Dance was particularly amusing.