Allentown Part 1 review

Here is my review of Allentown night one....I was high up on the 40 yard line....

Jersey Surf.....they have a young corps that performs well at the Div. 2 level...solid in all captions....interesting treatment

of "Shaft"....I have some continuity problems with arrangements, but overall I believe they will be a

very solid div. II competitor by season's end....

Troopers.....great to see them back and full-size.....solid low brass sound....corps is young but doing well considering that..

percussion is solid, and visual package is adequate....once they can open up impacts they will be far more

effective musically....I did feel score was a bit low.....

Southwind.....I couldn't grab onto the musical arrangements, although the first few impacts were strong, but they could

not sustain that energy level.........many early season performance problems, but I also don't see the content

being up to snuff, and I don't see this product challenging for a semis spot unless they really do some

homework....that said, I remember last year when they made major improvements the last few weeks....

I had them below Troopers tonight......

Madison......after reading all of the reports/recaps, I feared the worst.....the good news is there is hope for this show, this

year....it starts interesting enough, and I felt they were pretty good the 1st half, with some strong impacts....

yes, there was dirt, but the content was fine.....the 2nd half took a nose-dive.....the young corps couldn't

sustain the energy level and the brass "ran out of gas", although the ending was cool......very noticeable at

a regional was unfinished silk work in 2nd half....however, weapons line is decent, and some decent silk

work in the 2nd half could add much to the visual product. They have a long haul ahead of them, but there is

time, and I have seen corps make finals from far further back....percussion book is adequate...just dirty

at this point.......don't count them out....

Pacific Crest......although the "Viva Las Vegas" theme is fun, I did not feel the arrangement was very strong.....the corps

doesn't play or march badly, but I believe they will hit a brick wall when corps with stronger content get their

products under their belt.....I don't see the product in semis, and felt was a bit overscored at this point.....

again, the show is fun, but...............

Spirit...........the corps has a full sound and is competent in all sections....however, the arrangements do not generate

a whole lot of excitement....seems to be lacking sizzle and fire......I can see them getting solid performance

numbers by season's end, but unless effect is substantially beefed, I don't see the product in finals this year...

Boston......solid show....I like the Spanish theme, and the arrangements are good....I think opening up impacts can take

it up a notch....performing in good early season form........strong in all segments.......it will be interesting to

see what they do with the product...........

Crown......arrangements and brass sound are absolutely stellar.....percussion is musical and demanding as well: early

season dirt there is keeping them back a bit, but I feel they are underscored in brass, ensemble, and especially

music effect.....their pitch and tone quality is second to none.....if they open up impacts, IMO, they are the

most "dangerous" corps in the top 7 and a contender....solid guard and visual program as well....William Tell is

a gas, and people need to pay attention to all that is demanded of this brass line, in all sections of

the show..............don't miss this corps....I had them over Phantom and SCV and closer to Cadets....at least

among those 3 it was very close....

SCV.........I thought the arrangements were strong, there is good impact and emotion in the show, and it is a demanding

one....they are strong in all captions....the show is a vehicle to carry them far, and it is a tough one to

nail all of the performance captions...the show sold well....they are right in the hunt, and dangerous considering

the fact they have a very well-written show....

Phantom....they have improved nicely in a week, and I believe they sold the arrangements better tonight....that said, I still

have issues about the arrangement of "Firebird" which I would give a "B" to, and I also heard some of the same

ensemble problems as a week ago....Percussion was solid......IMO, the whole key is what they do with Firebird..

brass has a big sound which I am sure will be very well executed by season's end.....

Cadets.....as I stated before, if you can't get past the narration, then you will not like them. If you get past it, the

arrangements are very solid, the hornline has huge impact and major demand, the percussion section will be

deadly executors by season end, and they are marching up a storm out there...the long sustained quick tempo

of the closer, combined with intricate brass parts and insane drill, put their trademark stamp on the show.....

come Pasadena, they will be tough to beat....the show works, they sell it, and it is tough.............good variety,

too

Cadets played a good post-show, although I was disappointed that they chose not to play their actual show......good crowd.....

GB