Thoughts on Tenor Heads

KiltieBD3

I need some help here. I'm not exactly a tenor guy but I am not fan on how the heads I am currently using sound for my HS line.

I am leaning towards making a change to the Renaissance Emperor heads. I have never used them before so I am curious. Most of the lines I have taught/helped/marched in etc used/uses the Suede Emperor which I like but I kind of want a darker tone.

Any thoughts on these heads or any sugestions?

Renaissance won't provide a darker tone. If anything, they're a slightly "ping-ier" tone than the Suedes, imho. Perhaps what you want is the Suede sound, but dampened a bit? I'm all for experimentation, so try muffling the heads a bit before moving to a different film altogether. It's been a long time since I've seen anyone using them, but white Pinstripes might also lend themselves to what you're looking for. All you can do is order a set and see...

Edited by mobrien

Have you considered switching to Evans?

I use the MX White tenor head on the 10"-14" drums and Clear (like Remo Pinstripes) on the 6" for brighter rimshots. I love the sound.

Also, I have found the Evans white tenor heads last longer than anything I have used before.

Have you considered switching to Evans?

I use the MX White tenor head on the 10"-14" drums and Clear (like Remo Pinstripes) on the 6" for brighter rimshots. I love the sound.

Also, I have found the Evans white tenor heads last longer than anything I have used before.

I agree. My high school use to use Remo heads for everything and then we decided one year to make the switch to Evans... It was nice! The guy that played tenors loved them!!!

I agree. My high school use to use Remo heads for everything and then we decided one year to make the switch to Evans... It was nice! The guy that played tenors loved them!!!

Yeah I personally like evans heads...but I'll have to start a fight with the director to make that change.

Plus I can get a better deal on the Remo's.

This is an activity of differing opinions, so nobody get offended! lol

But,

I did give evans heads a full yera worth of a try. Different heads, and different tuning methods and im honestly just not a fan.

I like the variety remo offers, but i dont think they have improved much on the general sound and durability of the pinstripe.

Like all other makes of heads, you find some "dud" heads, but i find these to be pretty consistent.

I also have to disagree with the gentleman who said that the Rennaisance were "pingy" (or something like that... I dont remember the exact refference).

I know alot of people tend to tune WAY too high these days which makes most any head sound bad. Especially if you have small configuration tenors (6,8,10,12,13).

If your going for a "Darker" sound, (maybe for classical type music), I like the Rennaissance or the new Ebony Suede (black suede). The Ebony suede is much more durable than the regular ebony head and holds the tuning better. the Rennaissance head is also great for that. I used that last year with music that had darker tones.

For general and latin type music i love the pins.Especially on the deep drums.

Oftentimes people will mistakenly (not saying you) blame the heads for other factors that lead to a bad sound.

1) Some people just cannot tune. fact of life! its not for everyone.. lol

2) the way your students are approaching the drum. Making sure they play uniform zones, and with the same velocity and wristurn etc. for example one player playing "into the head" vs one thats "feathertapping" and one in between will project a distorted sound even if the tuning is great.

so yeah, lots of factors there.

good luck!

Tony

• 1 month later...

I've used uverthing from pin strips to the Evans MX. Ive found the MX to be a little dead for my liking, just personal opinion I just like something with a little more sustain. The pin strips were on the other end of horrable, really pingy, a pain to stretch and they like to pull after about 10 minutes. Maybe it's like the guy said and I can't tune, but I've have bad luck with the pinstripes, although the spocks are realy nice and indestructable. I like the remo crimplocks alot, just for the durability and the ability to change them quickly without worrying about a lot of stetch in the head. We've all had that fun chore of poopng a head right before a show. But they're a little dark for my musical taste. I like the suedes though, right about the middle range, nice sustain, easy to tune, the can get wet (like the super fun show in MN) and not be garbage. They've got a nice life span too if your on a budget and can't affort to change heads every 5 minutes, and if your getting a deal on them I think it's worth it. Just my opinion. See you in NY! And good luck with your choice.

I've used uverthing from pin strips to the Evans MX. Ive found the MX to be a little dead for my liking, just personal opinion I just like something with a little more sustain. The pin strips were on the other end of horrable, really pingy, a pain to stretch and they like to pull after about 10 minutes. Maybe it's like the guy said and I can't tune, but I've have bad luck with the pinstripes, although the spocks are realy nice and indestructable. I like the remo crimplocks alot, just for the durability and the ability to change them quickly without worrying about a lot of stetch in the head. We've all had that fun chore of poopng a head right before a show. But they're a little dark for my musical taste. I like the suedes though, right about the middle range, nice sustain, easy to tune, the can get wet (like the super fun show in MN) and not be garbage. They've got a nice life span too if your on a budget and can't affort to change heads every 5 minutes, and if your getting a deal on them I think it's worth it. Just my opinion. See you in NY! And good luck with your choice.

Thanks James. I didn't know you were with MBI.