Cavalier Show Design

I also agree on Cadets show. The music has some amazing selections and the show can stand by itself, but I don't see Hop pulling the plug on the narration completely. He will stand true to his convictions and if 2005 or 2006 are any indication of that, the narration will hold. Props to 2005 for innovation, but last year......not good.

Their show is so freakin awesome I almost wouldnt mind the chatter except half of it I cant understand or hear. That is distracting. Bluecoats chatter wasn't distracting at all even though when I hear it I have to remind myself I'm at DCI not WGI.

I did notice that only two corps are talking and thankfully no one is singing. Good God, thank you, at least we have that. :worthy:

As far as finals go this year it's a toss up. I wouldn't be foolish enough to count the Cavies out. Not by a long shot. This year we have a real tight race and that makes it all that much sweeter.

Edited by IRMO

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their show is so freakin awesome I almost wouldnt mind the chatter except half of it I cant understand or hear. That is distracting. Bluecoats chatter wasn't distracting at all even though when I hear it I have to remind myself I'm at DCI not WGI.

I did notice that only two corps are talking and thankfully no one is singing. Good God, thank you, at least we have that. :worthy:

As far as finals go this year it's a toss up. I wouldn't be foolish enough to count the Cavies out. Not by a long shot. This year we have a real tight race and that makes it all that much sweeter.

Or BOA :doh:

Nice Guy,

Couldn't seem to "quote reply" to your post a page back, so here's my reply.

I do appreciate your intelligent addition to this discussion. My analysis was narrow. I just wanted to see exactly how much playing while moving the corps was doing. That is all I was charting. It seemed to me to be considerably less than other corps, and even more noticable to me than in previous years.

My vision, however, was much broader. I did not fail to see the demand in the visual show as I was watching. I also did not fail to hear the difficulty in the music being played. The design did, however, seem to go out of the way to find ways to play difficult spots at a standstill, rather than find a way to play on the move. Nothing of any difficulty being played while moving for more than 10 seconds. Not something I remember noticing in any other top 8 show last night.

I also don't believe that the mellos are merely playing half note chords as they sprint around the arc to the front sideline toward the end of Firebird, :worthy: but I bow to the knowledge of an alum.

I know it takes alot more than jazz running mello runs to create the needed effect. That does not change the fact that it is VERY difficult to do, and should in my opinion, be rewarded somehow.

Edited by truman

Here's a funny 'fact'. Identical twin brothers marched cadets and cavaliers last year (this with the cadets not having their greatest or hardest year). Both were a little large to begin with, but one brother came back weighing 50-75 pounds LESS than the other. Care to guess where he marched? There's more to athletecism than running around with your horn down. The physical and athletic demands associated with marching and playing simultaneously are what makes drum corps difficult....In my opinion....

- btw, yes i know there could have been other factors that contributed to this disparity, but it is remarkable regardless. And if you think it's because the cadets dont eat well, then i can think of a few hundred alumni and cooks that would be willing to beat you with a spoon or drown you in pats iced tea :)

Excuse me...

DO NOT mis-skew the numbers of weight at my expense, as it was nowhere near as dramatic as you made it out to be.

If you would like to know, my brother auditioned for The Cavaliers for 2005 and 2006, and sadly was cut both years. He wasn't going to march his ageout year because he only wanted to march with The Cavaliers. That was until he found out Cadets had an open lead-trumpet spot in late April, and he sent in an audition tape to see if he could fill the hole. Myself, however, made the corps on my first attempt at the December camp. Also if you are going to question my athleticism, we went running after the summer and I LAPPED him on the track. Him weighing less never helped him in the end.

Scouts?

?

Edited by comeonfhqwhgads

This whole charting of times in movement while playing just reeks of planar analysis.

Excuse me...

DO NOT mis-skew the numbers of weight at my expense, as it was nowhere near as dramatic as you made it out to be.

If you would like to know, my brother auditioned for The Cavaliers for 2005 and 2006, and sadly was cut both years. He wasn't going to march his ageout year because he only wanted to march with The Cavaliers. That was until he found out Cadets had an open lead-trumpet spot in late April, and he sent in an audition tape to see if he could fill the hole. Myself, however, made the corps on my first attempt at the December camp. Also if you are going to question my athleticism, we went running after the summer and I LAPPED him on the track. Him weighing less never helped him in the end.

Yeah, but can you jump off pink tables? :P