Cavalier Show Design

Ummm, has anybody noticed the actual step size that PR is taking during most of their "jazz run" technique moments??? I swear to the Holiest of Holies I saw euphs and tubas using "jazz run" technique for an 8 to 5 step size. And that ladies and gentlemen is the kindof BS, that gets you 7th in Vis. performance, and 6th in GE visual. The unison jazz run hit in Firebird that everyone has been jizzing themselves over, just take a closer look sweethearts, I think you'll notice that the high brass is indeed moving at an extended step size for the first half of the move, but after that they continue to jazz run at a 6 to 5, so they can "play" easier or something. 7th place over-qualified people of the jury, 7th is where that gets you.

Oh yeah, and if anybody's "FLYING" this year, it's the :worthy: f#$%ing Cadets...what's that closer at? 214??? Regiment couldn't sniff 214 if they were coke fiends!

5733.jpg

Chilax! :rock:

Maybe you should take a closer look. Yes, some people aren't "flying" across the field and not everyone is taking a 4 to 5. It's called a uniform marching style for that particular portion of the show. Just like in a ballad, when a corps may march toe down in a 'ballet step', or when you roll your foot up while marching backwards in a ballad. Or even 'normal' marching for that matter. They are all using the jazz running technique because some people need it, and others don't. BUT, from what I've seen, those who need to jazz run are mixed with those who don't need too. It would look silly for a person to be jazz running next to two people who are marching. I think you need to be the one to 'chillax'.

And as for 214, go check out the end of 2004 PR. 210+ bpm. This must be a sore issue for you.

And in response to what I've read in other parts of this thread, once you get going at 180 bpm, or even 215 bpm, (IMO) it's not that hard to keep up. The difficult part of a 200+ is the first set from a standstill. Specifically, it's the second step that always caught me off guard. If you march with the proper technique, you can march at any speed and play perfectly fine. Yes, endurance is an issue at first, but for elite corps should not be a reason to play less than 6 minutes of your show.

Edited by bobbyk

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

umm...sure. Not gonna get into it, but you DID disregard the entire ballad. Its a short ballad, but you seemed to ignore the fact that the hornline is playing. This is the part of the napolean speech im speaking about, and it goes all the way to the trumpet feature. You had no playing anywhere in that time - major discrepancy IMO.

Im not trying to make the cavs look worse though, im trying to figure out if you slanted things this way against the cavs...thus making the point less valuable.

The watch and count for yourself.

Cadets scored an 88.450 tonight. Blue Devils 89.65 Cavaliers 89.55

Sir, they were at diff shows. Don't even try to compare them when they were all within 0.150. tisk tisk.

back OnTop....

he's saying that the cavies don't march and play nearly as much as anyone else and adding more time to another corps just strengthens that argument.

:)

I'm just picking on him...I think this is a very interesting debate actually.

Thanks for that. I guess Cadets had an "off night". I'll be seeing them Tuesday in Memphis.

Santa Clara had an 85.750 and Carolina 85.250. Waiting for more scores from Alabama

Santa Clara had an 85.750 and Carolina 85.250. Waiting for more scores from Alabama

That is going to be an interesting battle to the finish for those two corps. :worthy:

And in response to what I've read in other parts of this thread, once you get going at 180 bpm, or even 215 bpm, (IMO) it's not that hard to keep up. The difficult part of a 200+ is the first set from a standstill. Specifically, it's the second step that always caught me off guard. If you march with the proper technique, you can march at any speed and play perfectly fine. Yes, endurance is an issue at first, but for elite corps should not be a reason to play less than 6 minutes of your show.

It's maybe not that hard to keep up, but when you're changing direction every 4/8 counts, my god does it get tiring.

The watch and count for yourself.

no thanks. I'll do some adding though the backfield stuff was 26 seconds btw that you ignored, and 25 seconds during the solo where most of the hornline is playing and marching quickly. Lets see what this brings their time to

-edit - thats about 275 marching and playing and almost 200 at a fast pace. Thats not counting everything, but where does that put them???

Edited by euponitone

It's maybe not that hard to keep up, but when you're changing direction every 4/8 counts, my god does it get tiring.

I do agree, that does makes it harder. But proper conditioning usually takes care of that fairly "easily" :P

no thanks. I'll do some adding though the backfield stuff was 26 seconds btw that you ignored, and 25 seconds during the solo where most of the hornline is playing and marching quickly. Lets see what this brings their time to

26 and 25 .......that makes 51! wee! thanx g0d 4 mai tI-89!! :)