Drum Corps Mythbusters!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, Star and Regiment went head to head 11 times in 1993...and I definitely heard booing. Many years removed from the fact, I am saddened by this, but at the time, I found it funny, and thought it meant that the crowd supported us and the Cadets more.

Wow. *That* unlocked some memories I didn't realize I had. I now remember being at Ypsi standing at retreat and hearing some in our retreat block chuckle also. I think (I hope) that we were laughing from the shock of hearing the crowd react that way and the audacity of vocalizing such a strong negative reaction.

Like another poster said - we didn't get it at the time. By finals I was in awe. A memory that is *not* locked up as it is permanantly burned in forever is sitting 5th row at semis that year (after we had performed) watching Star and not believing the sound that was coming out of those horns.

By the way, about Star getting booed in '93. I was in Jackson, MS for quarterfinals that year (had to go back home by the weekend). When Star was announced as the winner, there was most definitely some booing going on and I distinctly remember some dude not far from me yelling, "THE JUDGES ARE ON CRACK! THE JUDGES ARE ON CRACK!".

I don't remember if it was finals week or not, but I remember a guy yelling at a particularly quiet part of the show (which I realize is most of the show - haha) - "PLAY YOUR D**N HORNS".

Also, Blue Coats never beat Madison in 1988.

MYTH?: Blue Coats is spelled with 2 words?

Sorry - had to be said. :huh:

(BTW - even as a FMM Bluecoat, I've never heard that myth about beating Madison)

Back to Star - you guys that marched Star - do you guys feel vindicated now that the

shows that you performed that were so despised by the crowds are now held with such high regard,

even 15 years after the fact?

Assuming of course that DCI did not fib concerning the tabulation.

I've seen this discussed many times over the years. DCI consistently denies ever tabulating. There was an interview with Pesceone in DCW back int eh 80's, and he said the sheets were gathered and destroyed and never tabulated. Conspiracy theories, conspiracy theories. :huh:

I'll play, I love that show. Here are a few.

Myth: The bandage on the head of the Bluecoats' snare drummer at Finals in 1995 was real and not GE. B)

:P This seemed to get lost in the tide of other posts.

I did have people ask me if that was GE or not, and they were still pretty skeptical when told that it wasn't for GE.

Edited by Lousoz

:P This seemed to get lost in the tide of other posts.

I did have people ask me if that was GE or not, and they were still pretty skeptical when told that it wasn't for GE.

For those not in the know... our boy Krebs was the one wearing the bandage and it was not for GE (although I'm sure it didn't hurt). :)

Eric can correct me if I'm wrong on details but he was hit by a car walking back to the school after Bluecoats' final rehearsal on the day of finals. He toughed it out, got patched up and marched the show like a trooper... err... you know what I mean.

MYTH?: Blue Coats is spelled with 2 words?

Sorry - had to be said. :rolleyes:

(BTW - even as a FMM Bluecoat, I've never heard that myth about beating Madison)

Back to Star - you guys that marched Star - do you guys feel vindicated now that the

shows that you performed that were so despised by the crowds are now held with such high regard,

even 15 years after the fact?

You know what? I honestly believe that most of us who marched that year eagerly await somebody who will do the same as we did, and by doing so, will make us a distant memory. That would, in essence, be our greatest "reward". The fact that it is STILL a topic is only because nobody has found a way to be that bold vs. our actual effort/achievement.

As far as "vindication"....there really isn't any to be had - I think that I can speak for the majority of the corps in saying that the experience of performing that particular show to such a high level was as much satisfaction as anyone could ever desire. I'm very flattered that it is still a topic to this day, but I will be the first person to celebrate when another corps brings about a show that eclipses it.

Actually this one has been hashed out before. Madonna lived in Michigan growing up, not far from the city of Bridgman. The city of Bridgman, Michigan had a junior corps while Madonna was growing up and, at that time she was taking twirling lessons. Supposedly this is the corps she was involved with....not the Bayonne Bridgemen.

I hope you're trying to be humorous. There is no such city in Michigan called Bridgman, there is a Bridgeman and it's a very small city on the west side of the state. She was born in Bay City and lived in Rochester. Why she would ever go to the west side when Saginiares were the big Michigan corps at the time is beyond my understanding.