Dr. Edward Mizma

looks like I'm the first to get the word... my brother just called me to tell me that Doc Mizma's obituary is in this morning's Rochester papers.

Naturally, I don't have any details here in Seattle...

I can tell you the man was a saint and a true drum corps genius who was very underated... He arranged most of Crusaders music during the formulative years from the mid 50's till they hired Corky at the end of the 60's... He was a GREAT man and complimented Vince Bruni well... they were a great team...

Many forget that he was also a great drum major and very involved in the visual programs... the 1965 drill was VERY influenced by Doc...

He is a member of the Rochester Crusader's Hall of Fame...

Edited by TomPeashey

looks like I'm the first to get the word... my brother just called me to tell me that Doc Mizma's obituary is in this morning's Rochester papers.

Naturally, I don't have any details here in Seattle...

I can tell you the man was a saint and a true drum corps genius who was very underated... He arranged most of Crusaders music during the formulative years from the mid 50's till they hired Corky at the end of the 60's... He was a GREAT man and complimented Vince Bruni well... they were a great team...

Many forget that he was also a great drum major and very involved in the visual programs... they 1965 drill was VERY influenced by Doc...

He is a member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame...

Tom, we did hear about it yesterday and a bunch or us will be there at the memorial service on Sat. morning at 11 am in Asbury Methodist Church on East Ave in Rochester. Doc was a true gentleman that often was the voice of reason during the time I spent with the Crusaders. He was always the picture of calm, steady, competence and was a great role model to a lot of us who lacked those things. He had a wonderful sense of humor and timing that could make a long bus ride seem shorter. He always corrected people in a positive, nonconfrontational manner even when we deserved something much worse. He is one of the people I look back on from the Crusaders that I can truely say I was blessed and lucky to have known. He, along with Vince Bruni and Bob Ashton made a lot of us better than we ever thought we could be. RIP Doc

Gary Richardson

Tom, we did hear about it yesterday and a bunch or us will be there at the memorial service on Sat. morning at 11 am in Asbury Methodist Church on East Ave in Rochester. Doc was a true gentleman that often was the voice of reason during the time I spent with the Crusaders. He was always the picture of calm, steady, competence and was a great role model to a lot of us who lacked those things. He had a wonderful sense of humor and timing that could make a long bus ride seem shorter. He always corrected people in a positive, nonconfrontational manner even when we deserved something much worse. He is one of the people I look back on from the Crusaders that I can truely say I was blessed and lucky to have known. He, along with Vince Bruni and Bob Ashton made a lot of us better than we ever thought we could be. RIP Doc

Gary Richardson

Doc was everything Gary said and more. My condolences to his family!

Doc is shown here with Vince Bruni.

File0038thb.jpg

Edited by ScottyG

How ironic... Doc's memorial service will be tomorrow (Saturday), the same day as his beloved Lewisburg PA show. Doc was an alumnus of Bucknell and seemed to lead us into that stadium with a special vigor... I hope there's a good show of old timers there and that they remember to mention to the family that the current members and leadership of the Rochester corps can't be there as they are competing at Bucknell...

"See you at the other end"

doc was a great man in and out of drum corps. he was responcible for the crusaders rise to fame period. he put them on the map. he will be missed by all of us whose lives he touched.

my question is why is this man not in the drum corps hall of fame? why have the crusaders not nominated him? do they not care about their past and traditions? this wrong should be made right. last year when colin campbell was inducted he said that in talking to people " they " didn't even know who doc was. how does this happen? not to put anyone down but there are lesser men that are inducted then him. he retired from the crusaders 40 years ago this september and i think that some one from cru should nominate him. please lets right this wrong

Don, all good points ... I was shocked when I realized he was not a member... it's a little late now, but I think something should be done about it too...

Gary, I actually recognized Dutch in that picture... or at least I thought it was him... thanks for the confirmation...

Don, all good points ... I was shocked when I realized he was not a member... it's a little late now, but I think something should be done about it too...

Gary, I actually recognized Dutch in that picture... or at least I thought it was him... thanks for the confirmation...

tom if you know any of the cuurent management of cru maybe you could get in contac with them. colin and i talked about this before. it took colin 29 years after his retirement to get in and i think that was wrong to.