Interested in forming an all age corps in C. Arkansas

If you want to do a corps, do it! If there are enough people around you who want to do it with you, it will happen. Just get the concept out there, the goals, the name/image, and see what happens. It's a lot of work, but you have to decide what is rewarding to you and not worry about those that don't

A corps in AR would be great. Minicorps, brass ensemble, parade, competition, whatever. I know we've had a lot of interest from AR folks, but that drive to Dallas is killer, so I do believe there is interest there (and I would be glad to give you the names of a few people who I think would be interested in helping you out)

There is nothing set in stone. Get some folks together, get them playing, and things will fall into place the direction you should go.

Nothing says you have to do DCA, DCI, local shows, travel, or even drum corps based events at all.

You do what works for you, and you have friends in TX and LA that fully support your desire to start, and Gary (Masquerade) or myself would be glad to help anyway we could. Masquerade is starting off as a larger mini-corps type ensemble, enter Class A at DCAS/Central shows next year, and a 5 year plan to attend DCA champs. Austin Stars are performing as a brass ensemble this year. So there are already folks out there taking the approach in various ways. You can certainly find something that works for the people in your area.

Best of luck!

Pretty much the attitude that we have here (except, we created ours with no intention of it growing into a field corps).

But, there's no reason why one couldn't take the same approach, with the idea of pursuing a field corps when the appropriate numbers and other resources come together.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Northwest Arkansas. You would pull from 250,000 (+-) people in that corner of the state, the Springfield MO area and the Tulsa OK area. (Not to mention Black Gold Alumni)

Growth in that area is well known and besides Central Arkansas still lives in the dark ages of marching band. Many of those folks will tell you that drum corps is bad. I live in another dark-aged drabby town (Fort Smith) and I would like to see something positive happen in our state.

I wish you the best of luck.

I'd have to agree. Northwest AR might be a better location because you'll pull from Southwest Missouri and Eastern Oklahoma... but then that might encroach a little too much on Crosswinds in Oklahoma City.

I'd have to agree. Northwest AR might be a better location because you'll pull from Southwest Missouri and Eastern Oklahoma... but then that might encroach a little too much on Crosswinds in Oklahoma City.

Sorry,

I've been going to DCI shows and finals for the last 21 years and I'm not familiar with Crosswinds. Help me out.....who are they?

Sorry,

I've been going to DCI shows and finals for the last 21 years and I'm not familiar with Crosswinds. Help me out.....who are they?

A not as-of-yet-established all-age corps in Oklahoma, affiliated with Frontier and Masquerade, as far as I know.

Crosswinds is a projected headed by Brian Randol in OK City/Tulsa. They have had a small group of people get together and discuss getting a corps together and laying the groundwork. Their goal is to build over the next few years, and hopefully split into two corps, one in Tulsa and one in OK City.

The Crosswinds project is under the FPAA umbrella, which supports both Frontier and Masquerade.

Don't worry about impending on Crosswinds. The whole growth in the all-age movement is about getting to do the activity close to you, community corps, etc, which is all but disappeared in the DCI world anymore (with a few exceptions). OK City and Tulsa are more than a few hours away.. and if someone is between the two corps, then they have a choice of where they want to go :)

I believe that there are enough people in the C. Ar. area to make a corps here successful. It will all depend on the support. A lot of people argued that Delta Brigade was not supported enough by the area. However, after talking with people involved, poor management had a lot to do with it. Maybe the area wouldn't support a top 12 DCI corps, but I believe that it could support an all age corps on some level, and I'm all about trying to find out.

I would still like to talk to anyone in the area. If you are interested you can pm or email me: dross20@gmail.com I have a couple of fund raising ideas that could provide some initial start up money. I just need people.

If you want to do a corps, do it! If there are enough people around you who want to do it with you, it will happen. Just get the concept out there, the goals, the name/image, and see what happens. It's a lot of work, but you have to decide what is rewarding to you and not worry about those that don't

It is a lot of work. And finding interested people that are interested enough to buy their own horns and pay dues that first season, is quite hard to do. Not everyone owns, or desires to own a marching horn. Much less a marching tuba $2,500-$12,000. And yet without the equipment and people the corps doesn't exist. It's not like you're trying to start a community choir where all you buy is music and one size fits all robes. It's darn expensive starting a corps. But it has to start somewhere.

Minicorps is one option, but it's not a very attractive option. Who in their right mind in going to travel 2000 miles to play for just 8 minutes. Much less pay someone else $800 plus to do so. And take friday off work to make it in time to perform. It's not like it's a big convention of sorts where you get to sample the latest marching brass, drums, uniforms, and maybe get some good deals on drumcorps equipment. Sure there's a bunch of performing corps, and some very good ones. But that's about the limit of the offerings of the DCA weekend. As it is, you can't even trust that the recorded media will exist at the end of the weekend. Not to say that starting a corps can't or shouldn't be done. But it certainly isn't easy.

Best of luck.

you had a fluke happen to you as far as the recording of your performance but you can't let it go. it comes up in almost every post.

and because of the way you post it you make it seem as though this has happened every year to a variety of corps in attendance.

it would be more beneficial if you actually stated the truth of the matter instead of the way you present it to others.

I only travel 180 miles for legend (well not this year) as I'm sure most people do.