Corps and their horns

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I'm pretty sure Fusion is on Bbs as well. We rehearsed at the same site as them yesterday in Chambersburg and I noticed a lot of a different kinds of cases. I asked one trumpet player what they played, and he said "Yamaha, but I play a Bach."

Fusion is Bb/F

We are working towards a full set of Yamaha brass.

We have some folks using their own horns and have some horns we lease from Capital Brass (Thanks Tom) - we are

thankful to everyone for use of these horns while we bridge the gap.

b**bs Dano

Edited by fusioncorebusmgr

You will NEVER get the sound of them that you want if your comparing that sound to a G bugle.

It means your going to have to start writing your book to match the horns.

But what if their wants are something better rather then louder then what they would get with a G bugle? With a true middle voice? Hmmmm.

I guess progress in drum corps sound has been all down hill since the intro of contras and two upright valves. :laugh:

(Stirs the Pot)

Actually I'm pretty sure Fusion is on Bbs as well. We rehearsed at the same site as them yesterday in Chambersburg and I noticed a lot of a different kinds of cases. I asked one trumpet player what they played, and he said "Yamaha, but I play a Bach."

Sorry, i must have been misinformed or misinterpreted what someone said in the chambersburgh topic. :(

jack p

Fusion is Bb/F

We are working towards a full set of Yamaha brass.

We have some folks using their own horns and have some horns we lease from Capital Brass (Thanks Tom) - we are

thankful to everyone for use of these horns while we bridge the gap.

b**bs Dano

Great to hear that. Its good to see new corps starting. I saw you guys at Clifton, and I thought you guys and a full, rich sound. Not bad for 24 horns or so. (don't quote me on horn count. I just took a quick count at clifton.) Good luck, and keep pushing. You'll get through the first few years, and establish yourselves as a good corps.

jack p

What a misinformed shirt. The top 3 hornlines in DCA the last 3 years have used B flat horns. It's not a coincidence. Get new friends.

:doh:

So are you informing the world that only lines playing Bb's have a chance against "The top 3"? Could it not be that the coincidence is in the product of the talent and not the key in which they play? Please don't preach the mantra of Bb to a world who can hear and feel the difference.

I hardly believe that if all DCA corps were playing Bb's now that the standings would change at all. Talent and history will always decide the winner. I just wish the people in this activity would stop looking to SEE what you're playing on and spend more time LISTENING to the product with honest hears. It is after all music.....not a painting. I try to be as honest about quality brass as I can however, I do believe in a seperation between Band and Drum and Bugle Corps. Far too many have forgotten the Bugle part of Drum Corps.

And by the way, if anyone is basing their friendships on Bb vs G...........you lead a very lonely life :doh:

So are you informing the world that only lines playing Bb's have a chance against "The top 3"? Could it not be that the coincidence is in the product of the talent and not the key in which they play? Please don't preach the mantra of Bb to a world who can hear and feel the difference.

I hardly believe that if all DCA corps were playing Bb's now that the standings would change at all. Talent and history will always decide the winner. I just wish the people in this activity would stop looking to SEE what you're playing on and spend more time LISTENING to the product with honest hears. It is after all music.....not a painting. I try to be as honest about quality brass as I can however, I do believe in a seperation between Band and Drum and Bugle Corps. Far too many have forgotten the Bugle part of Drum Corps.

And by the way, if anyone is basing their friendships on Bb vs G...........you lead a very lonely life :doh:

Agreed. I was just wondering what corps. are using Bb and who is using G. This was not intended to start a debate on G vs Bb. So, I am sorry if I stirred the pot. :sshh:

Jack p

I think it's interesting to see how the switch is taking place and what corps are using Bb/F equipment.

I don't get the argument over G being the only legitimate key for drum corps horns that some people assert, though.

I like the sound of a G hornline on chrome bugles, (single piston/slide, piston/rotor, 2 valve, or 3 valve), it's a sound I grew up with and I can tell the difference. I also like hornlines using Bb/F as long as they're good; and most are.

Could it be that the G bugle is the only original, sacred thing left in the activity and it's going fast?

If it was up to me, corps would still be starting on the left goal line and ending on the right goal line; there would be a mandatory color presentation; a set amount of marching/still time; the tick system of judging would be in place; all instruments would have to be carried, (and if that means no pit, so be it, but Cabs used to carry all their marimbas). Now that's drum corps!!..to me. What key the horns are pitched in doesn't concern me that much. At one time both were allowed in the bugle world.

Note to pit players: you guys are great, sound great and add a lot to today's shows. A modern show wouldn't be one without a pit. I'm just living in the past sometimes.

Renegades .... we're all on G Kanstul horns ... except for the ballad we have a 3 valve rotar flugelhorn in Bb I believe .... not sure what make it is though

I just hope the judges don't make assumptions about who is more in tune a Bb or a G. I just purchased a new Kanstul G and personally when you listen to a Bb horn line they sound muffled, they just don't have the same punch or richness. Bb's are not my cup of tea when it comes to a field instrument.....not that there's anything wrong with it. ($1.00 to Jerry Seinfield)

Ben ^0^

Agreed. I was just wondering what corps. are using Bb and who is using G. This was not intended to start a debate on G vs Bb. So, I am sorry if I stirred the pot. :sshh:

Jack p

Stir the pot, for goodness sakes. As long as no one gets too nasty - it's fun to discuss and debate the issue. This would be fun with a bunch of players around a table with snacks and brewskies.