DCI Corps Moving Forward

A couple of other points-

1975-27th guard uses fdouble flags for the first time, rifles spin while prone, adding a physical/spatial dimension to equipment handling on the field.

1985-Blue Devils experiment with Simmons drum pads in rehearsal; the Knights use them (and mikes and a sound board) for the first three weeks in 1986, voluntarily taking the 2-point penalty before being threatened with expulsion at DCM and DCI shows.

1985-BAC take a 2-point penalty of their own at Semis by using a keyboard during their drum solo of 'Axel F.'

1986-The Kilts Alumni (actually called a 'reunion') corps performs at the July 3 show at Horlick Field. I think this is truly the first serious alumni effort put forth.

Put them together, they help to point the way forward in small steps (which is usually how it happens) and constantly remind us of the greatness of the past.

I think it was George Bonfiglio who said that the best drum corps should be one part state of the art, one part tradition, and one part innovation. I agree, and wish the current judging scheme and the current show designers would re-jigger the mix so it's even again.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic