Son's first BD experience (not all that we had hoped)

Anyone who has followed Drum Corps long enough knows that the field performance is only about 10-20% of the actual picture. The REAL action takes place on the parking lots and practice fields. I can still remember our instructors yelling (screaming) at rehearsals : "You don't win shows when you're on the field....you win them HERE!" Great job OP. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dansize!! YOU ROCK AS A FELLOW DAD!!! Thanks for a great example for me. My kids just roll their eyes because I'm such a drum corps/marching band nut. But wow...your story was great.

Good job dad!

Thanks Ryan. It should be noted that your performance in 1987 is another favorite in my home that gets regular plays. I also introduced myself to you at the Walnut show 3 years ago (Big/tall dude with a lot of facial hair). Between our mutual musical experience, similar vintage and shared employment in government, I feel a strange camraderie outside of drum corps.

Kids will roll their eyes and I think I have reached the point where even my 10 year old daughter's friends roll their eyes if I'm playing stuff when they are over, but I catch them watching and encourage as best I can. I missed the experience when I was that age, but I have become they type of fan that will do everything possible to give the kids the chance, if they are so inclined.

Talk about starting them out young:

I was at a Crown weekend camp in April of this year. Was I ever glad to have our camera with me! As Crown was rehearsing in the parking lot of the high school, there was a small boy of about 3 years of age trying to do everything along with the corps. He was marching, standing at attention, and even had his own minature trumpet! This will be video we will treasue. We have no idea who the child was or his parents -- but they are dead serious about Drum Corps!

I live in texas and let me tell you , I know how it feels to be away from drum corps for awhile. Not many corps house here very long at all, and crossmen our only division 1 corps is new to this scene here in texas JUST this year :)

I drove far to see the cadets practice ( the only corps practicing close to ausin ). It turns out no other corps would be practicing near me within 4-5 hour drive :)

Well I get there and watch the brassline rehearse some. But it got rained out :/

BUT I enjoyed the SA show and I will be in the stands watching rehearsals next year I hope!

;0

-g0at

I was hesitant to post on here, because I don't really see my "story", if you will, as anything out of the ordinary... but in talking to my dad, he told me that lots of people had heard my story, but never from my perspective... so here I am! :)

My parents essentially met because of drum corps, and marched together in the late 80s. They fell in love, blah blah blah, and got married in '88. Then in 1990, I was born. They were at the teaching stage of their drum corps careers at that point, so I was pretty much doomed. Long story short, I spent the summer of 1991 on tour with Spirit, and spent my first birthday in New York. The corps sang Happy Birthday to me, all that jazz. Too bad I can't remember any of it... I'm sure it was an awesome experience! :P

As I started getting older, drum corps became a not-so-prominent part of my life(...this being said, my dad was still working in the activity quite constantly... I just wasn't going on tour with him :P ). Then, when I started high school, and picked up a flag for the first time, I got back into it. I started going to shows with my mom, and fell in love with the whole deal... though I swore up and down I would never march.

I'm now 17, and a senior in high school. (To make my parents cringe, my boyfriend is currently marching trumpet/sop/whatever you wanna call it with Spirit... and I'm a guard girl... just like my parents were all those years ago :blink: ) As I started realizing that my marching band experience was almost over, I freaked out that I was going to have to stop marching. Of course, now I plan on starting to march next summer... just not quite sure where yet.

Needless to say, drum corps has literally ALWAYS been a part of my life. Some people may think my parents were crazy for taking me on tour that summer, but I couldn't be more thankful. Not many people have had the amazing experiences I've had growing up, so I consider myself pretty lucky.

:)

From a parent's perspective it's GREAT to HEAR, that because of some ones dream (your parents) you consider it ALWAYS a part of your life.

About your parent's being crazy, that's called comittment to excellence. You know the difference since you have been in the paint on the field.

I'm writing this from a train heading North to Stanford, Palo Alto because of someones's dream.

That's AWESOME. :) Pass it on and be grateful and encourage:) Same plus MORE!